fleas

cole.nelson782

fleas

Post by cole.nelson782 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Ok so about 3 months ago I found out one of my dogs had fleas been treating him for 3 months now but he seems to still be bothered by them mainingly by his tail but my gsp mix is showing no signs or I have yet to see any fleas on him or our two cats but my yellow lab still has them. Used front line on all my animals. Is it just his coat??

Wildweeds

Re: fleas

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:11 pm

Your dog is allergic to them,that's why your other dog shows no signs,A single flea bite can cause them to have an outbreak and gnaw at their butt until its a raw bloody mess.I had a springer that was allergic to them,I used biospot on that dog.The key indicator for the re up time on the treatment was the biting his hind end. Follow the directions to the letter, Bathe first and apply after hes dry.Either that or the lab has hot spots,
How are you verifying the flea problem?

zrp

Post by zrp » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:08 pm

Try Comfortis from your vet for all the dogs and cats at the same time. Seems to work much better than the topicals.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:30 pm

if your only treating 1 animal out of 3, you might as well not treat any of them. And, Frontline has been around long enough that fleas are starting to show some resistance, imo.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:50 pm

The way is winter is going I don't expect to see any fleas here until about July. :)

Advantix is a "new, improved model " this year . Suppose to boost fleas/ticks not landing. I bought 3 boxes from the vet from last year's supply and saved a lot of money. No it's not expired. :)

magspa

Post by magspa » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:54 pm

I have noticed better results with comfortis than topicals. Especially for a house dog - my baby boy and dog are always together an i dont want frontline on my son. It is expensive so i wait until i suspect fleas.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:52 am

Well I combed through his hair and was able to see them. He has a flea collar as well as the other pets in the house. Ive had dogs my whole life and this is the first one to ever get fleas.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:03 pm

If one has them, the others have them, they are in your carpet too. Treat all the dogs (comfortis works for us well) - frontline is not working here for fleas anymore. Then bomb the house, or keep the vacuum very, very busy for the next month.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:24 pm

I hope you are aware that fleas do not live on the animal but just get on when hungry. Those same fleas will get on you if you are available when they need to eat as well as the other animals. If you have fleas, every animal that is in the area is a meal ticket and nothing more.

Ezzy

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:28 pm

When we moved to our house 25 years ago it had fleas and needless to say so did our dogs after about 10 minutes in here. We spent a fortune and a lot of time on sprays, flea collars, bombs, powders, and all sorts of stuff because I thought the sentinel our vet recommended was too expensive. Finally I caved and bought the Sentinel. Within a week the fleas were gone; really, after the first day the ones I picked off the dogs seemed sick and soft-bodied. We used the sentinel over that summer ( it takes care of heartworm and intestinal worms) and never saw a flea for more than 20 years.
This past summer the dogs picked up fleas from somewhere, who knows where. One dose of Sentinel and they were gone not to be seen since.

Sentinel is still kind of expensive, but IME it's worth it to bite the bullet and get it, and be done with the cootie problem.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:37 pm

shags wrote:When we moved to our house 25 years ago it had fleas and needless to say so did our dogs after about 10 minutes in here. We spent a fortune and a lot of time on sprays, flea collars, bombs, powders, and all sorts of stuff because I thought the sentinel our vet recommended was too expensive. Finally I caved and bought the Sentinel. Within a week the fleas were gone; really, after the first day the ones I picked off the dogs seemed sick and soft-bodied. We used the sentinel over that summer ( it takes care of heartworm and intestinal worms) and never saw a flea for more than 20 years.
This past summer the dogs picked up fleas from somewhere, who knows where. One dose of Sentinel and they were gone not to be seen since.

Sentinel is still kind of expensive, but IME it's worth it to bite the bullet and get it, and be done with the cootie problem.
Im not doubting it helped your flea problem, but Sentinel will NOT kill adult fleas. It is basically flea birth control. Given enough time it will control the population, however. BUT, if it worked for your problem, then good! When it comes to any kind of parasites, I always say find something that works, and stick with it till it doesnt work. Then switch to something else.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:54 pm

What about using the front line spray??

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:52 pm

dog dr wrote:
shags wrote:When we moved to our house 25 years ago it had fleas and needless to say so did our dogs after about 10 minutes in here. We spent a fortune and a lot of time on sprays, flea collars, bombs, powders, and all sorts of stuff because I thought the sentinel our vet recommended was too expensive. Finally I caved and bought the Sentinel. Within a week the fleas were gone; really, after the first day the ones I picked off the dogs seemed sick and soft-bodied. We used the sentinel over that summer ( it takes care of heartworm and intestinal worms) and never saw a flea for more than 20 years.

Im not doubting it helped your flea problem, but Sentinel will NOT kill adult fleas. It is basically flea birth control. Given enough time it will control the population, however. BUT, if it worked for your problem, then good! When it comes to any kind of parasites, I always say find something that works, and stick with it till it doesnt work. Then switch to something else.

I don't know how it worked, but it did :lol: We didn't use any other flea control product in conjunction with it either time. During the first infestation my hobby became flea combing and snapping the little demons under my thumbnail. And within a day the fleas weren't crunchy anymore...they didn't snap but kinda smooshed and they weren't very active. So something affected them. Maybe they were depressed over their new infertility :lol: I noticed that after a while there weren't any gravid ones anymore, so that worked! This past time, the buggers were gone a few days after one tablet, so who knows? I'm just glad they're gone!!!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:12 pm

cole.nelson782 wrote:What about using the front line spray??
its still frontline. I still have some clients that say the frontline is working for them, so i tell them to keep using it. But I have ALOT more that say it isnt, and have switched to comfortis or trifexis and are very happy.

smittty

Post by smittty » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:23 pm

I had a bad flea problem ... started using bayer tree and shrub on the dogs and yard no more fleas

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:39 pm

See this is what I dont get we live in an area where fleas are not hardly herd of.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:40 pm

See this is what I dont get we live in an area where fleas are not hardly herd of.

shorthairguy

Post by shorthairguy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Dish soap baths and spray bottle of vinegar and dish soap. Comb every other day. The soap kills the fleas and they hate vinegar

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Dawn dish soap, give them a bath, works for me.

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Last year Bayer came out with a new flea collar called Seresto for fleas and ticks. Living in the southeast, we have very heavy parasite burdens( got bit by a mosquito last week), and flea populations never seem to go away. With this new product, I have heard nothing but great things about them from clients. They are supposed to last 8 months (I tell people 6 because I have a hard time even believing it lasts for 8.) They are waterproof and do not have any off smells or residues like some of the other collars. These collars have been about the only product that works really well on my patients that have flea allergies, because it actually prevents the bite. I don't think any product is 100%, but I think this comes really close to it. The are relatively inexpensive (less than $75, $ 10 bucks a month) My other top favorite flea prevention is Comfortis but it is at least twice that. Just my two cents.

Peter

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Bayer or Elanco.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:04 am

Peter wrote:Last year Bayer came out with a new flea collar called Seresto for fleas and ticks. Living in the southeast, we have very heavy parasite burdens( got bit by a mosquito last week), and flea populations never seem to go away. With this new product, I have heard nothing but great things about them from clients. They are supposed to last 8 months (I tell people 6 because I have a hard time even believing it lasts for 8.) They are waterproof and do not have any off smells or residues like some of the other collars. These collars have been about the only product that works really well on my patients that have flea allergies, because it actually prevents the bite. I don't think any product is 100%, but I think this comes really close to it. The are relatively inexpensive (less than $75, $ 10 bucks a month) My other top favorite flea prevention is Comfortis but it is at least twice that. Just my two cents.

Peter

I agree its a good product. Used 1 on a couple of my dogs last summer, worked great, and they are in the pond almost every day.

tjsnipehunter

Post by tjsnipehunter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:36 am

dog dr wrote:
Peter wrote:Last year Bayer came out with a new flea collar called Seresto for fleas and ticks. Living in the southeast, we have very heavy parasite burdens( got bit by a mosquito last week), and flea populations never seem to go away. With this new product, I have heard nothing but great things about them from clients. They are supposed to last 8 months (I tell people 6 because I have a hard time even believing it lasts for 8.) They are waterproof and do not have any off smells or residues like some of the other collars. These collars have been about the only product that works really well on my patients that have flea allergies, because it actually prevents the bite. I don't think any product is 100%, but I think this comes really close to it. The are relatively inexpensive (less than $75, $ 10 bucks a month) My other top favorite flea prevention is Comfortis but it is at least twice that. Just my two cents.

Peter

I agree its a good product. Used 1 on a couple of my dogs last summer, worked great, and they are in the pond almost every day.
How young of a dog can these be used on? I'm getting a pup in a month. Once we get that first warm day in april it seems like we are covered in ticks and there are a bunch of flea bitten rabbits that roam the back yard year around. Would like something simple like a collar if it is OK on pups.

Tim

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:03 pm

7 wks and up

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:46 pm

I'm going to go ahead and get a Bayer flea collar and use the dawn and vinager spray at the same time.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:58 pm

Watch out for a dry , dandruffy coat with Dawn.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Yeah well as long as it gets rid of the dang things I'll be happy.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:50 pm

cole.nelson782 wrote:I'm going to go ahead and get a Bayer flea collar and use the dawn and vinager spray at the same time.
In my opinion you will be wasting your time. Dogs with allergies react after even one bite. For these dogs you need to pull out "the big guns." If comfortis is too strong then go with capstar every other day. It is safe for puppies and kittens as young as 4 weeks. Safe for pregnant and nursing dogs and cats too.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:07 pm

So it says that comfortis tablet last one mother per tablet am I reading that right. And it sells online for $14 per pill?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:44 pm

For that price go with Advantix. I've used it since it came out and seen maybe 2 fleas in many years.