Update on Tigg and Rook

hustonmc

Update on Tigg and Rook

Post by hustonmc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:24 am

So, last winter I introduced 2 new pups to the kennel; Tigg and Rook. This was absolutely the worst year in recent memory to have a young pup, let alone 2!!! Worst bird hatch I had seen in 7yrs. It was ridiculously dry down South of me and some cold late spring rains up North of me. I hunted 4 states, and flat wore out some boot leather on anything within 4 hours of the house. They pointed Sharpies, Chukar, Huns, Pheasant, Valley Quail. All in all I made up for it with just putting in the miles. I never hunted the pups together, occasionally put them down with a few friends broke dogs from time to time, but mainly they had their chance to figure it out, sink or swim. Only thing I teach them is come when called and to bend to my whistle, rest is genetics, they have it or they don't. I eased into October because I had to fit in a 9 day Deer hunt and only hunted once in January, not going to lie, I was burned out, and the diesel bill was getting to me. But!!!!!!!!!! This is what we managed.

Tigg covered 311.64 miles in 30 trips. He made 49 bird contacts, of which 25 he held for the gun.
Rook covered 332.05 miles in 27 trips. He made 61 bird contacts, of which 48 he held for the gun.

Tigg just turned 12 months, Rook will be there late Feb. Seeing that I had over 200 with my then 3yr old last year in about 30 trips, you could see why I was disappointed. But, I still found enough to turn them into bird dogs and I couldn't be happier with how they developed. The lack of birds was in NO WAY a reflection of the dogs. The dug up some limb finds that some veteran dogs wouldn't make. They flat worked for their birds, and they may be better for it in the long run.

I'm by no means a Doc Favor, my camera is a Iphone, but I did snap a few. For some reason I can only post 2 pics, not sure why.
Tigg with a nice covey of Huns, being backed by his half brother Cage. Image
Had a bunch of good ones of Rook, lets see this one is kinda cool, have better ones but, eh. Image

hustonmc

Re: Update on Tigg and Rook

Post by hustonmc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:33 am

A few more of Rook

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:47 am

So if I got this right those pictures are of your pups at LESS THAN a year old? Wild birds....no check cords... OUTSTANDING!! I'd say you had a great first year with them despite the comparison to your older dog. I've got a setter who just turned 1 last month. I have worked the heck out of her and hunted her about like you. Not near the results. Woodcock she did well on but ruffed grouse....not so much. Takes a while on those.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:50 am

Pretty nice pics, hey, ya used some kind of phone.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:57 am

Sounds like good breeding and owner perseverance beat the drought.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:43 am

roaniecowpony wrote:Sounds like good breeding and owner perseverance beat the drought.
+1 That says it all!

Good phone pics, but great dogs deserve a better camera! :D I don't know how some get more in, but I'm stuck now with the 2 photo url per post junk too.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:03 am

Wow !!!!!!....the pups have sure grown up since I saw them in moses lake!...they look great!!!!!!!!.
More pics please!!!!!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:08 am

wems2371 wrote:
roaniecowpony wrote:Sounds like good breeding and owner perseverance beat the drought.
+1 That says it all!

Good phone pics, but great dogs deserve a better camera! :D I don't know how some get more in, but I'm stuck now with the 2 photo url per post junk too.

If you're in the market for a simple point n shoot for not much money, the Canon PowerShot S 90, S95, S 100, S 110, S120, from old models to new, all are very capable little pocket cameras. The out of production models can be had on ebay for very little money.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:55 am

Alookin good!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Update on Tigg and Rook

Post by ACooper » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Huston... Tigg is a half brother to Cage, and Rook is sired by Cage correct?

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 pm

ACooper wrote:Huston... Tigg is a half brother to Cage, and Rook is sired by Cage correct?
Yes sir, that'd be correct.
Tigg's pedigree: http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5431
Rook's pedigree: http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5432
wems2371 wrote:
+1 That says it all!

I don't know what the 2 URL thing is either, I used to be able to post as many as I wanted. And I know, need a better camera. I've gone through 2 nice point and shoots, they just don't hold up to life in a hunting vest to well.
Grousehunter123 wrote:So if I got this right those pictures are of your pups at LESS THAN a year old? Wild birds....no check cords... OUTSTANDING!! I'd say you had a great first year with them despite the comparison to your older dog. I've got a setter who just turned 1 last month. I have worked the heck out of her and hunted her about like you. Not near the results. Woodcock she did well on but ruffed grouse....not so much. Takes a while on those.
Good luck with your young charge. Thanks for the compliments.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:41 pm

If durability is a higher requirement than image quality, the waterproof point and shoot cameras are hardened to drop test requirements.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:58 pm

Right on Matt, fun stuff!! :mrgreen:

OK, leave it to the shorttail guy to learn you 'bout postin' pics...one time, one time only, I'll type slow :lol:

To post multiple pics:
Copy your image code from Photobucket where you've got your photos then paste it in your reply like always. All you actually need to post the photo is the info between the Image dealybobs...highlight then cut out the associated URL info that precedes and follows Image in the code. You will be left with a string of info sort of like this - Image

Repeat over...n over...n over...n over for each of your pictures.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:00 am

The dogs look great!

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:00 am

Good looking dogs.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:36 pm

DGFavor wrote:Right on Matt, fun stuff!! :mrgreen:

OK, leave it to the shorttail guy to learn you 'bout postin' pics...one time, one time only, I'll type slow :lol:

To post multiple pics:
Copy your image code from Photobucket where you've got your photos then paste it in your reply like always. All you actually need to post the photo is the info between the [img]and[/img] dealybobs...highlight then cut out the associated URL info that precedes and follows [img]...[/img] in the code. You will be left with a string of info sort of like this - [img]blah..blah......gsp...blah...rocks...blah...blah[/img]

Repeat over...n over...n over...n over for each of your pictures.

Thank you much sir.
I was going to run them both in the Louie Tippet here in March, but I have a NSTRA trial that same weekend with Cage. You coming this way this spring? If you are let me know, we'll get together and cut them loose on some training grounds.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:30 pm

You coming this way this spring?
Nah, no plans to go that way this spring. All we have planned is a couple trials in Montana where the birds are already installed! :lol:

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Sharptail and the two shootin dog trials at Circle?
DGFavor wrote:
Nah, no plans to go that way this spring. All we have planned is a couple trials in Montana where the birds are already installed! :lol:

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:22 pm

Wildweeds wrote:Sharptail and the two shootin dog trials at Circle?
DGFavor wrote:
Big Sky All Age Classic at Winnett and then the spring trial at Circle - usually it is the Reg. 14 ASD Ch. but I'm hearing thru the grapevine it is something different this spring...we'll go thrash around and donate to the cause whatever they call it. :lol: