Breeder Question

lugmastro

Breeder Question

Post by lugmastro » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:24 am

I am doing a little homework before getting another dog from 6R Upland in Iowa. I keep up with what they are producing, and I am happy with the last dog I got from Chris Riddle. I wanted to know if anyone has a gotten a dog from him lately and if they are still the wonderful hunters and pets that they used to be. He has expanded his kennel significantly since I got my last dog, and want to make sure that I get the same quality.

Wildweeds

Re: Breeder Question

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:52 am

Every dog is different, one can expect similarity but then again everything is a game of chance.There has been lots of times where history does not repeat itself even when repeating the same breeding.One breeding can produce stellar results in a majority of the litter while the next one produces nothing of merit in the entire litter.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:06 pm

I am well aware of bad breedings and poor individual dogs. It is always a crap shoot. Thanks for your uninformative post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:24 pm

lugmastro wrote:I am well aware of bad breedings and poor individual dogs. It is always a crap shoot. Thanks for your uninformative post.
I would strongly suggest a little more civil answer when someone answers your question. You don't get to pick and choose how or who answers it and there is no better way to have everyone ignore you than the way you just did.

Ezzy

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:04 am

If you like what you have from this kennel go back . On thier home page 6R advertises HOME OF MOESGAARD GERMAN SHORTHAIRS. The last true Moesgaard breeding considered by many was Dee Dee Jackson x Big Oaks Bumper . Last breeding done between Jackson and Bumper was in the 80's to the best of my knowledge. With the head liner on the home page they are trying to ride on someone elses coat tail JMO. Or as some would say advertising 101.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:07 am

Thanks for the replies. I am really looking for people with experience with the dogs?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:26 am

Looks like you don't like dogs with high tails that back.... Any breeder can find you some of that. Good luck !

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:44 am

If you are satisfied with your earlier pup, 6R should be able to match you with a similar pup or at least a simular breeding to give you the best chance possible. I believe the important thing is to watch the parents of a potential pup if possible to make sure they have the characteristics you are searching for.

Many people can not watch the pups parents so they will look for dogs that have been proven out through venues that resemble what they are interested in doing with a new pup. For instance, if you enjoy running dogs from horseback and enjoy competitive field trials then look for dogs and breeders that are successful in that arena.

If you are interested in more foot hunting, versatile type dogs, then check into the NAVHDA kennels and breeders.

After saying all this, many good, exceptional and even all time great dogs are born from nontitled parents. However, I believe you increase your odds by choosing a pup whose ancestors have proven successful at what you are interested in.

Good Luck

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:33 am

Your Welcome,Since you have kept track of his program,whats to question? If your happy with the first one you got,pull the trigger on a second it'll probably satisfy you.Trouble would come if the mans product was in such high demand that product was not carefully bred for so much as it was produced to fufill sales.
lugmastro wrote:I am well aware of bad breedings and poor individual dogs. It is always a crap shoot. Thanks for your uninformative post.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:04 am

I live in NC and the breeder is in IA. It is not possible for me to actually see the dogs myself. Add that in with being deployed often, and you end up without being able to visit IA every year. This is why I asked the question. Anybody can state anything on the internet, that does not make up for personal experience and knowledge. The goal of this thread is to find people's experience with dog's from 6R, not broad opinions on dogs in general. Maybe I am looking for a needle in a haystack.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:06 am

ultracarry wrote:Looks like you don't like dogs with high tails that back.... Any breeder can find you some of that. Good luck !

I have no idea what you are driving at here. Maybe you should spell it out.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:09 am

Lugmastro, where in NC are you?

I am in SC but close to the NC border

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:36 am

When I was looking for a dog, I spent at least a couple months nearly daily calling leads given to me to find a trainer/breeder I felt confident in. My search started essentially at nowhere and led me to a trainer I had previously taken classes from whom I had trust in. I ended up spending as much as I could afford comfortably but was very confident I was going to get what I wanted in the end. You might consider the approach of starting at the top and searching that way. Who has the very best ____ dogs in the country today? Call him/her and find out what it would take to own of them. It may surprise you.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:00 am

Carolina- I am just North of Wilmington. Unfortunately I haven't found any dogs that have really impressed me in the Carolinas. Lots of show stock. I got my first male locally and he was a wonderful dog, the dam and sire where from NE and KS respectively. I got my female up near the VA border, and she is a great pet, but never amounted to anything other than that.

Roan- Your post was probably the most solid advice that I have seen yet. What you describe is exactly what I did the first time around. I have an established relationship with the guy and I am trying to give him my business again, I just want to make sure that I have done my due diligence.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:55 am

lugmastro wrote:
ultracarry wrote:Looks like you don't like dogs with high tails that back.... Any breeder can find you some of that. Good luck !

I spelled it out...
There is nothing special about the dogs he has posted. You can look in the news paper and probably find some local guy pairing up his two hunting dogs and get a dog that will hunt and point birds.

If you wanted you can look in the dogs for sale section and see proven dogs in breedings that would increase your odds of getting a dog that would hunt instead of one that is excellent at doing nothing.

You already said who you are getting a dog from though so why even post on a forum asking about him? If you are so confident it should be a no brainer and just buy your next dog. Only thing you will get from this site is people dodging this if they know something negative because they wouldn't post anything negative in a public forum. If they did post something it would be general and not direct, It's not their next purchase but yours.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:03 am

lugmastro wrote:Unfortunately I haven't found any dogs that have really impressed me in the Carolinas.
I'm not sure when you were looking for a puppy, but I know through my FB contacts, their is a litter at BootPoint kennel in Virginia right now. They are maybe 3 weeks old. The sire is a VC (highest you can go in NAVHDA), DC (conformation and field trial titled), MH (Master Hunter) and is owned by a member of this forum. It is my understanding that the dam has got some very nice lines behind her as well. Not the Carolinas, but pretty darn close.

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:20 am

You do have a very good breeder very close in Stacie Smith at Windchimes Kennel in Chester, SC. A google search will get you her website and FB page. I would at least call her and talk to her about her dogs. She does a lot of hunt tests and will also run her dogs in field trials. She is an AKC hunt test judge and very involved with Navhda. Her pups are going to come from proven stock and she will be great to work with. Her stud Ruger is very nice and I know she has a litter from him on the ground right now.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:08 am

ultracarry wrote:
lugmastro wrote:

I spelled it out...
There is nothing special about the dogs he has posted. You can look in the news paper and probably find some local guy pairing up his two hunting dogs and get a dog that will hunt and point birds.

If you wanted you can look in the dogs for sale section and see proven dogs in breedings that would increase your odds of getting a dog that would hunt instead of one that is excellent at doing nothing.

You already said who you are getting a dog from though so why even post on a forum asking about him? If you are so confident it should be a no brainer and just buy your next dog. Only thing you will get from this site is people dodging this if they know something negative because they wouldn't post anything negative in a public forum. If they did post something it would be general and not direct, It's not their next purchase but yours.
Thanks for the help. I am just going to bow out of this forum, considering the response or lack of response when asking a direct question. Nothing against you or any one else but when no one will respond to a pointed question, there is no reason to waste my time.

I guess I don't like special dogs, I just like dogs that put meat on the table. I have zero interest in field trials and a dog finding planted birds. All I want is a dog that hunts with me, and for me.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:22 am

Lugmastro, good luck in your search.
I hope you find what you are looking for. I still believe you could find benefits from joining and participating in local clubs.

To be straight forward, you came across not interested in any responses and a little arrogant on top of that.

I personally am glad breeders and dog owners many years back felt a dog's performance was important enough to form testing and trial venues. This is how the breed is improved or at least kept from declining through the years.

From what you have wrote above, it shouldn't be too hard to find another pup.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:38 am

Lug
im not a GSP guy but there are plenty here that are. From what ive read over the years some of them are outstanding breeders and trainers. Unfortunately when just about any thread is started here there are no shortage of rude or confrontational replies. It has gotten to be the norm around here. The moderators are trying to keep it civil but its still going on.

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:01 pm

That DixieLand's6RDusty has as good of breeding as any.
I would'nt have any apprention in buying one with that breeding. :)

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:06 pm

You will find Rusty in the background of many of the successful field trial lines of today

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:37 pm

14 Field Champion's and 1 National Field Champions in a three generation pedigree isn't anything to sneeze at! :)

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:20 pm

I thought his post was a relative answer. What exactly are you hoping for? Are you looking for that one post that states 'congrats! you are the 1 in one million guy that has found the absolute PERFECT breeder'? With even the most established breeders selecting a pup is a crapshoot at best as you stated.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:32 pm

If your looking for pups along the Dixieland/6R Breeding I have 2 15wk old females with similar breeding 4 sale now.

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:40 pm

Seems to me that the man was asking if anyone had recent experience with a dog from that particular kennel. I believe the operative word was, "lately". Still hasn't got an answer to his question...just folks overly impressed with their own verbiage! Is it unrealistic to ask a simple question and get a simple answer?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:45 pm

You can't get that answer if no one has experience with that kennel & no need to get upset over that do you think? :roll

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have always liked what I have seen in the lines.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:28 pm

muleskinner wrote:Seems to me that the man was asking if anyone had recent experience with a dog from that particular kennel. I believe the operative word was, "lately". Still hasn't got an answer to his question...just folks overly impressed with their own verbiage! Is it unrealistic to ask a simple question and get a simple answer?
If someone had experience with these dogs I am sure they would have spoken up so it sure isn't anyone's fault that they are trying to advise a young man. This may be the only post that not only doesn't answer the question asked but also did even give any info to the poster at all.

Ezzy

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:33 am

He has the it right there with him, look at the dog he has pedigree and look at the breeders pedigree's and see if they have carried that line forward or ask the breeder for some references from people that bought a dog a couple years back and let them tell how it's turning out. With out owning one from that kennel all we can do is reference the lines in his kennel that we are the most familiar with. And every kennel breeds for what they feel they want and what is working for them in their dogs.
Sorry for not being able to answer your question.

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:28 pm

I only know of one person who has owned a dog from them and they were unimpressed. I don't know when he owned it so I guess that's not much help. I know quite a few shorthair people in central and eastern Iowa. No one I know runs or recommends his dogs. Not to say they are bad just not what they are looking for.