Flat Collar vs. Round

ChetB

Flat Collar vs. Round

Post by ChetB » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:20 pm

I've always used a round collar with my dog's tags affixed with "S" hooks. When I'm running or hunting her, she also wears an e-collar. Yesterday, she got caught up in a plastic mesh fence I have around an area of our yard in which I don't want our dogs. She leaned over it and one of the "S" hooks got tangled with the fence. Thankfully, I was nearby, she was smart enough to not struggle against the fence and she waited calmly for me to walk over and release her. I'm embarrassed at my own stupidity and today she is wearing a flat collar with tags riveted.

Cicada

Re: Flat Collar vs. Round

Post by Cicada » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Funny that you posted this. Yesterday the new pup was chewing on a small deer rack when one of the tines got caught in his collar and jammed up tight; glad I was there too!

Grant

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:33 pm

My embarrassment comes from the certain knowledge I should have had that something like that could have happened in the wild while hunting. Brush, a wire fence, all sorts of things could have snagged those "S" hooks and possibly caused injury or even worse. I'm thankful I was nearby, saw it happen and she didn't struggle against that plastic fence in my yard. It's a mistake I won't make again!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:42 pm

Buckles,rings,snaps any of these things on a collar can get hung up at any given time under the right circumstances,it's a chance we all take.My dogs where no collars while in the kennels but in the field we have to take those chances.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:14 pm

I like the 1" flat fiber reinforced plastic collars. They distribute the load of a leash or drag of a checkcord well, easy to clean, don't stink, and last a long time.

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:51 pm

I'm very fortunate, I suppose, as I live only about five miles from Lion Country Supply. Great people there!

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:24 am

Round and rolled collars are nice the only problem is finding nice ones. The basic design is not of a very strong collar so the better ones are expensive. I have a Hogan that cost a pretty penny but it has been used on several dogs at this point.