indoor kennels

MOshorthair

indoor kennels

Post by MOshorthair » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:57 am

What do you all do for indoor kennels? I had priced some indoor kennels and most were around $200 per dog, so I called a local fence guy and had him build me kennel. I will top it with a 3/4 inch piece of plywood for a work bench, or a force break table, but the dimensions are 12ft x 40" deep x 36" tall. Individual compartments are 48"x 40" x 36". My dogs aren't so behaved that I trust them inside when I'm not awake or at home. Cost for the entire job was $380 + dog beds. With the cold weather in the winter and hot in the summer I like bringing them inside and if muddy I don't want them running through the house.
dog kennels.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

duckn66

Re: indoor kennels

Post by duckn66 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:20 am

I posted a simialar subject on another forum. This is exactly what I want to do. Only I want indoor/outdoor with swinging doors or spring loaded to enter in and exit the indoor area.

Where did you have your kennels made at? I can't find exactly what I want either.

MOshorthair

Post by MOshorthair » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 am

It was a local fence guy. They are from Missouri but they are called "Fence Pro" I could have went taller but like I said I wanted to build some shelving to save on space in that area.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:28 am

I'm over just East of KC. What town was this guy in? Also, where do you get those beds?

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:28 am

I like this thread and the other one duck started on Upland. I hope to buy some property and build indoor/outdoor runs. My kennels will all be made by TK Products. One note I would make sure is that the indoor runs have enough room for a bed (love my Kurandas) also for the dogs to stand on the floor, eat, drink, turn around and possibly relieve themselves. Looks like MO's setup would be a bit tight for all that. Also do not forget to pitch the concrete away from the walls to a drain/trough to spray them down.

Keep the ideas coming

MOshorthair

Post by MOshorthair » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:36 am

The beds are Kurandas (large) and I screwed up when I told the fence guy the dimensions I wanted the inside dimension to be 40" deep and he measured to the outside. I found the beds online for $69. I can not turn the dog beds in a way where they have enough area to stand on the concrete. The concrete is sloped toward a drain that is just outside of the picture. I don't plan on keeping them in these kennels except over night and a couple of hours each day. I will likely try to find a way to get another inch or two so I can turn the dog beds length wise to free up a little bit of room. Fence pro is out of the Jefferson City Area

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:59 am

MOshorthair thanks for the info.

Pntrrookie, unfortunately my concrete inside is not sloped. I'm having to retrofit my shop to do this. After reading a couple of responses on Upland I think that I will make my indoor pens 48x60. My dogs will be able to go outside to relieve themselves (at least I hope they do).

On the inside I plan on being able to put a pro-built dog house in each run and in the summer I was thinking I would take the houses out and just put a bed of some sort in the kennel for each.

If and when the dogs might urinate inside I'm hoping a mop and mop bucket will be able to take care of any accidents.

MOshorthair

Post by MOshorthair » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:25 am

Duckn,

I also have outdoor Probuilt kennels that the dogs are in for most of the day when the weather is decent. They are 6 x 12 kennels with Probuilt doghouses, which they probably could stay in all the time. They are great kennels and houses. I have neighbors and my dogs will bark if something is on the other side of the fence, so I bring them in at night to keep the peace between me and the neighbors. Good luck with the project.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Here is what we did for our indoor kennels.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 624&type=1

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Georgiaboy, that is a very sharp set up you have. I would love to be able to put together something like that for my next kennel. Did you ever insulate the building? You probably don't have to worry about it getting too cold do you?

What are your dimensions on the indoor kennels? Also the dimensions of your building as well. I'm saving this link to look back on it periodically.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Be very careful with the tops, most just put a latch in the middle, allowing the dog to push their head through it and get trapped. I have known of at least 4 deaths and several injuries.

Frankug

Post by Frankug » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:20 am

Nice Kennels Georgia Boy. A very well Thought out design. Depending on someone's dog #s this would work awesome. More dogs just add a few more kennels etc. Thinking of putting a whelping/sick bay in my barn and want to use the concrete block this time around, used wood before and it gets chewed and will eventually rot.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:39 am

Good point Neil. I never thought about that. I could definately see that happening.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:33 pm

duckn66 wrote:Georgiaboy, that is a very sharp set up you have. I would love to be able to put together something like that for my next kennel. Did you ever insulate the building? You probably don't have to worry about it getting too cold do you?

What are your dimensions on the indoor kennels? Also the dimensions of your building as well. I'm saving this link to look back on it periodically.
Everything is insulated, perlite in the exterior block walls and 2 1/2" foam board in the walls and ceilings. We had a several days below zero this year so far. Building is 18x22 so inside kennels are roughly 4x5.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Frankug wrote:Nice Kennels Georgia Boy. A very well Thought out design. Depending on someone's dog #s this would work awesome. More dogs just add a few more kennels etc. Thinking of putting a whelping/sick bay in my barn and want to use the concrete block this time around, used wood before and it gets chewed and will eventually rot.
Thanks, I wanted something durable and also be able to sanitize if necessary. Like you said wood will get chewed and it is hard to really get clean.