New PacNW Pointing Lab Club

Del Lolo

New PacNW Pointing Lab Club

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:01 am

Here is an email that I got today :

February 4, 2014

Welcome to the Northwest Pointing Labrador Club. It’s only been a week since the Club was registered with the state as a non-profit, By-Laws were developed, officers for the Board of Directors were named and we’ve already had our first formal training day! So much accomplished in a small amount of time. As the first President of the Northwest Pointing Labrador Club I’d like to say thank you all for taking the time to either participate in getting this off the ground, writing in support of our venture, checking us out on Facebook, participating in the training day or looking up our website (http://www.nwpointinglabs.org ) to see what we are about.

I’m excited! And I apologize for my frequent use of the exclamation point but I’m excited! The formation of a club in the Northwest for the recognition, promotion and advancement of the American Pointing Labrador has long been a dream of my husband and I. It took an email from your new Secretary/Treasurer Lily Lo about 6 months ago for us to combine our efforts and with Lily’s persistence get the ball rolling. I cannot thank Lily enough for the time and effort she put into making this club a reality. I would also like to thank Marlana Smith of British Columbia for her assistance and for agreeing to serve as our Vice President. Marlana has been a long time member of the APLA, has been on the APLA Hall of Fame committee, has some great and exciting ideas for activities for the club and contributes the same desire to further the American Pointing Labrador in the Northwest that Lily and I do.

This club is about you and your dogs. We want your input and participation. We have developed a Forum site on our webpage where by a simple registration process you can post pictures of hunting adventures with your dogs, ask training questions, look for a hunting or training partner, share that favorite spot or whatever PL related topic you’d like to share. We are on Facebook and will be updating our page often with Club news, photo’s, videos, etc. Our training days will be posted under the Events tab and are open to everyone, not just PL owners. We envision holding youth events, possibly a women’s seminar, clinics on first aid, dog health in the field, gun safety and will listen to whatever you might like to see. There is a Rattlesnake Aversion Clinic scheduled this summer and we’re looking forward to an APLA hunt test in the fall.

Again, thank you for taking the time to see what the Northwest Pointing Labrador Club is about. To join please go to the website at http://www.nwpointinglabs.org and download the membership application. I look forward to a great, fun filled year as your President and I know that Lily, Marlana and I will do whatever we can to make your membership a positive adventure for you and your Pointing Lab.

Here’s to the dogs !

Julie Moore, President

Northwest Pointing Labrador Club
Last edited by Del Lolo on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: New PacNW Pointing Lab Club

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:40 am

Will the club be encouraging the breeding of dog's that do point to other dog's that point? Or will breeding to any lab be acceptable? I know that for myself, to breed to non pointing dog's, seem's to be a step in the wrong direction. I can't understand breeding to dog's that seem to lack the trait to dogs with it. Today it would appear there is non program to encourage the pointing instinct just sort of look for it if you can find it. I searched the entire U.S. for kennels that claimed to have pointing labs some years ago. What I was looking for was kennels that guaranteed their pup's would point. Only one kennel in the entire U.S. said they would, only one. The kennel names I got off the APLA web site. Hope you do well with it, best of luck.
Don

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:34 pm

DonF wrote:1. Will the club be encouraging the breeding of dog's that do point to other dog's that point? Or will breeding to any lab be acceptable?

2. I searched the entire U.S. for kennels that claimed to have pointing labs some years ago. What I was looking for was kennels that guaranteed their pup's would point. Don
1. This is just a Club -- has nothing to do with breeding ethics etc --- that's up to the APLA
2. I searched the entire U.S. Pointing Breed kennels ---- None guaranteed point.

I frequently see on Pointy Dog forums where the poster says, "My WPG is 7 months old and has never pointed" -- or "My GSP is 5 months old and has never pointed" -- etc etc etc.
It's not just some PLs that don't point.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:42 pm

All the more reason for pointing dogs that don't point to be culled. Does not happen enough though.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
DonF wrote:1. Will the club be encouraging the breeding of dog's that do point to other dog's that point? Or will breeding to any lab be acceptable?

2. I searched the entire U.S. for kennels that claimed to have pointing labs some years ago. What I was looking for was kennels that guaranteed their pup's would point. Don
1. This is just a Club -- has nothing to do with breeding ethics etc --- that's up to the APLA
2. I searched the entire U.S. Pointing Breed kennels ---- None guaranteed point.

I frequently see on Pointy Dog forums where the poster says, "My WPG is 7 months old and has never pointed" -- or "My GSP is 5 months old and has never pointed" -- etc etc etc.

or 7 months old says they are pup[pies and not that they won't point when old enough to have the light come on. Would be nice to see a link to GDF as long as you are using our site to advertise. That way we all win.

Ezzy

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:47 am

Del Lolo wrote:

I'm sorry but you identified your club as a pointing lab club but you leave up to the APLC to decide how to breed? If they don't breed toward a specific goal, they have no credibility. Pointing lab people claim to have them but if asked if they guarantee it the answer is no with one exception. You have not checked around the country with pointing dog breeders. None probably have a guarantee on their site but probably a great number of them would guarantee it. It is exactly what they breed for! I have seen several pointing dogs that owner's claimed would not point. To much pray drive they claimed. The one's that came by here all ended up pointing in less than a hour! I've raised a number of litter's of GSP's. I didn't advertise I'd guarantee they would point. Why would I need to? They are bred to be pointing dogs. If someone asked for a guarantee I'd guarantee it. If one of my pup's didn't point, not likely, the people should not be stuck with a cull. I didn't intend for this to go in this direction, I'm just curious how sincere you really are about pointing labs, not much I think! The pointing lab people advertise they have a type of dog they cannot reliably reproduce!

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:51 am

ezzy333 wrote: or 7 months old says they are pup[pies and not that they won't point when old enough to have the light come on. Would be nice to see a link to GDF as long as you are using our site to advertise. That way we all win.

Ezzy
I have nothing to do with this club. It's not my club. It's too far away from me to be a member.
Thus, I don't see how my post was "advertising". I have no input to the Club's site and have no way (or right)
to put in a link for GDF.
I was only posting an email that I got for the benefit of people who may have PLs that live in the Club's area.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:06 am

DonF wrote: I'm sorry but you identified your club as a pointing lab club but you leave up to the APLC to decide how to breed?
It's NOT my club. See my answer to EZZY (directly above). I was merely passing on information.
The parent club (APLA) -- like all parent clubs, sets standards. The new PacNW club is not part of the APLA -- Although most of the members are probably also members of the APLA.
From what I read, it's just a local club that is for the benefit of folks that own PLs as well as non-pointing retrievers.
I don't know of ANY local club (regardless of venue) that has anything to do with Standards that are set by the parent club.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:54 am

I must have missed the location,where is this club at? PNW is a pretty broad brush.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:59 am

I know Tiger Mountain guarantees your pup will point, or you can take the dog to him and he will work with it to bring out the point. If it wont point he will get you a new pup. I would guess a large amount of the pups in the PacNW will be out of that kennel.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Maybe it would be wise to go back to your original post and identify it as an e-mail you received and not a post by you.

Ezzy

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:04 pm

deke wrote:I know Tiger Mountain guarantees your pup will point, or you can take the dog to him and he will work with it to bring out the point. If it wont point he will get you a new pup. I would guess a large amount of the pups in the PacNW will be out of that kennel.
That would be good!