Brittany Pedigree Questions

rlrobinhood

Brittany Pedigree Questions

Post by rlrobinhood » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi all,

I just signed up to your forum. Great place and great folks. Anyways, this is my first post as I'm pretty sure we will be getting another dog soon. Our last dog (Brittany) passed away awhile ago and the wife, two girls (5 & 3), and I are ready to get another dog. We love Brittanys and are pretty solid on this as a breed. The new dog will be a house dog type pet and probably a little spoiled. With this being said, we are also hunters and will train the new dog. We were very successful at this with out last dog. Just a lot of time, patience, and birds (lol).

I guess I'm sharing all of this with you to explain that I'm not a professional gun dog trainer, nor a breeder. Just and avid hunter that loves a house pet too. As such, I know nothing about pedigrees. I'm thinking about a pup out of a litter that has come from these two pedigrees. Can you let me know your thoughts?

Oh,by the way... in a previous thread on Brittany pedigrees, someone posted a website www.brittanydata.com This is a pretty neat site.

Thanks all and hope everyone is staying warm!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Brittany Pedigree Questions

Post by ultracarry » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:02 am

Looks like you might be getting a good puppy, but I'm only looking at titles and have no clue about those dogs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:28 am

Good one that is tightly linebred to very good dog with a lot more good ones behind them.

Ezzy

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:36 am

Just Call Me Roy was a legend of a dog. I have spoken with his owner as well as his trainer in the past. Both said he was truly a special dog.
I am told he was the real deal, a true bird dog that knew how to find birds and had enough sense to know how far to range depending on the circumstances.
To me, this looks like a great litter.

Roy's sire, Sam was owned by Martha Greenlee, owner of Piney Run Kennels. She has continued to produce and own dogs that compete and win at National level. She has a litter coming up as well this spring that will be top notch. It will be an AI breeding from Sam (Roy's sire) to a very nice line bred female she has.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:23 pm

I don't know about the sire and dam, but you have excellent dogs in the rest of the pedigrees. Quite a few Hall Of Fame dogs in the pedigrees and if you get on the Brittany data base site and go farther back in the pedigrees you will see A LOT more HOF dogs. The vast majority in both pedigrees have had their hips OFAd---most are rated excellent or good. Good luck with your new pup. :D

rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:14 pm

That's great news. We're going to check them out this weekend. Pretty excited about it. Just don't know much about pedigrees, line-breeding, etc. Wife says I over analyze everything, and she's right.

Thanks again all and I'll post some pics later.

See ya.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:44 am

rlrobinhood wrote:That's great news. We're going to check them out this weekend. Pretty excited about it. Just don't know much about pedigrees, line-breeding, etc. Wife says I over analyze everything, and she's right.

Thanks again all and I'll post some pics later.

See ya.
Just remember this littler is breed to run and compete. You may find that it is too much dog for a "pet". Have the breeder help you select a layback pup if they can find one. Nice ped. I wish you the best of luck. :)

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:55 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
Just remember this littler is breed to run and compete. You may find that it is too much dog for a "pet". Have the breeder help you select a layback pup if they can find one. Nice ped. I wish you the best of luck. :)[/quote]

I would agree 100% with AZ britt, this pup may have way to much go and run for you if you are not used to this kind of breeding. What was your other britt like ? how big did he run? How hyper was he/she as a puppy? This looks like a breeding with really good potential for some good pup's but they will require room to stretch there legs and lots of training to focus all that energy.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:10 am

I'll disagree with the last two posts. Brits make great "pets", even the supposedly high strung AA field trial dogs. Give the dog exposure to what types of things you expect from it, and they will learn very quickly, even with heavy trial breeding. Out Brit is a great house dog and pet, a great dog to foot hunt off of ( typically her casts are 250 yard at the most off foot), and competes competitively with the best All Age Brits in the country. Good dogs are smarter than we give them credit for. Teach them the games you want, and they will play the games well.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:56 am

They do make great pets but they need enough mental and physical stimulation to keep them from being vocal or destructive but we all know that already. What would worry me is if he is used to a britt maybe going out 100 yards and this pup punches out to 300 or so he might not like it and that is why i asked what was his other britt was like.I am sure your britt is a good house dog because of the time you put into keeping him healthy\active and i agree a good dog will adapt to the family or situation.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:38 am

jetjockey wrote:I'll disagree with the last two posts. Brits make great "pets", even the supposedly high strung AA field trial dogs. Give the dog exposure to what types of things you expect from it, and they will learn very quickly, even with heavy trial breeding. Out Brit is a great house dog and pet, a great dog to foot hunt off of ( typically her casts are 250 yard at the most off foot), and competes competitively with the best All Age Brits in the country. Good dogs are smarter than we give them credit for. Teach them the games you want, and they will play the games well.
Yes, Britts make great pets. All I said was words to the effect that they will be high energy and run hard. Competition dogs have high prey drive and love to run independently. Can you train them?? Of course! It will be easer if the owner had experience with "high drive" bloodlines. I believe dogs out of these type of lines can be enjoyed the most watching them perform in field trials regardless if they go home and sleep in a kennel or on your couch. In general if you don't give regular vigorous exercise to this type of dog, you will find them hard to handle.

rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:56 am

All great comments everyone. I appreciate hearing all sides of a discussion, so no worries there on differing view points. My last Britt (R.I.P.) was a great dog. I can't find his pedigree though, otherwise I'd post it. But he was a big runner. In fact, I had a professional trainer one time try buying him off of me after watching us hunt one day. He said it was the best Brit he had seen in a very long time.

We're a pretty active outdoor family and live in the country, so I say "house pet", but our last dog was always outside with us. He would put down many, many miles in a day. I always wanted to put my wife's running/jogging GPS on him to just see how many miles he would do. If I were a betting man, I'd say in the 10-15. All in fields and pastures.

Can't thank everyone enough. We're very much looking forward to this. It will be our second bird dog and second time of putting time/training into a dog. So, we're by no means "experienced" or experts. I'm so glad I found this forum and can't thank you enough for your input.

Cheers.

Muygrande

Post by Muygrande » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Some very nice dogs back in that pedigree including some Dave Walker dogs. I never saw Roy run but his win record speaks for itself and one of the only dogs I know of to win both the amateur and open national championships. He was a big running all age dog and from what I have heard really throws that in his pups. Sawtooth Sam and Whiz Kid are two of the finest examples of dual champion britts ever. All that being said, having nice dogs back in the pedigree is great but the parents will have the most influence so find out everything you can about them.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:08 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:Yes, Britts make great pets. All I said was words to the effect that they will be high energy and run hard. Competition dogs have high prey drive and love to run independently. Can you train them?? Of course! It will be easer if the owner had experience with "high drive" bloodlines. I believe dogs out of these type of lines can be enjoyed the most watching them perform in field trials regardless if they go home and sleep in a kennel or on your couch. In general if you don't give regular vigorous exercise to this type of dog, you will find them hard to handle.
Could not agree more with this! I wish I talked to you guys a few years ago, not that I don't think highly of my pal but his exercise needs are at times demanding. A long walk does little to tame his energy. He needs off leash runs at least 3 to 4 times per week or he starts to show his discontent. Having said that, with proper exercise he is very good around the house.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:19 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:Yes, Britts make great pets. All I said was words to the effect that they will be high energy and run hard. Competition dogs have high prey drive and love to run independently. Can you train them?? Of course! It will be easer if the owner had experience with "high drive" bloodlines. I believe dogs out of these type of lines can be enjoyed the most watching them perform in field trials regardless if they go home and sleep in a kennel or on your couch. In general if you don't give regular vigorous exercise to this type of dog, you will find them hard to handle.
Could not agree more with this! I wish I talked to you guys a few years ago, not that I don't think highly of my pal but his exercise needs are at times demanding. A long walk does little to tame his energy. He needs off leash runs at least 3 to 4 times per week or he starts to show his discontent. Having said that, with proper exercise he is very good around the house.
Britts and GSP's are very much alike in the exercise requirements. I really think you will find GSP's are less hyper in most cases.

Ezzy

rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Checked out the pups today and put a deposit down on one. He's a male. Not as orange as I'd expect, don't know if the orange ones orange up or not. Mom was a liver/white and dad was orange/white. Both parents were well mannered. Here's a pic and thanks again for all the comments. I'm quite excited to train another dog and the family is very excited too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:40 pm

The oranges orange up as they get older. Cute!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:39 am

Looks like the pup found a friend :!:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:11 am

ezzy333 wrote: Britts and GSP's are very much alike in the exercise requirements. I really think you will find GSP's are less hyper in most cases.

Ezzy
That has certainly not been my experience.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:25 am

slistoe wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: Britts and GSP's are very much alike in the exercise requirements. I really think you will find GSP's are less hyper in most cases.

Ezzy
That has certainly not been my experience.
Nor mine but my GSP experience is limited to dog sitting.