Bird Bag or Bird Bucket DIY Options?

Nutmeg247

Bird Bag or Bird Bucket DIY Options?

Post by Nutmeg247 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:22 pm

For training pigeons, I've looked at DIY options for a bird bag or bird bucket, and so far have found a Husky utility bag with a drawstring top that should be fairly washable, and then also the idea of a 5-gallon "bird bucket" with a rubber mat-style flange installed in the lid for putting birds in/taking them out, and holes drilled on the sides for ventilation.

Are there other DIY solutions that people have had success with? Normally I only have 5-6 pigeons at a time.

Thanks for all thoughts,

John

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Bird Bag or Bird Bucket DIY Options?

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:38 pm

I have owned & used both the bucket & b bag with spring loaded top. I have settled on the b bag easier to carry over the shoulder but if you just want to carry birds to the training grounds I would use the bucket.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:00 pm

I've got both bucket and bag. Generally take the bag, takes up less room. If I'm transporting birds, I use a cage that holds 10 birds easy.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:03 pm

For transport to and from field,I built a box similar to what the racers use, plywood bottom,top and ends and 1x1 welded wire screen for the sides,the top has a hand sized door that has a spring to hold tension to keep it shut.At best a 1 hour project that will last you a good long while.I've made 3 or 4 of them now,I loan em out for transporting birds and never seem to get them back.Not a big deal though,the materials cost is very low,who doesn't have scrap 1/2 inch plywood laying around.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:28 am

I had a small(cat size) vari kennel beating around.

I cut out most of the front door grille and put in two overlapping lengths of innertube to make a self closing door. Some newspaper or straw on the floor to soak up the poop. Done. Easy to carry(It has a top handle), easy to clean out.

It will hold about 10-12 quail or 4-5 pigeons.

RayG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:59 am

Wildweeds wrote:For transport to and from field,I built a box similar to what the racers use, plywood bottom,top and ends and 1x1 welded wire screen for the sides,the top has a hand sized door that has a spring to hold tension to keep it shut.At best a 1 hour project that will last you a good long while.I've made 3 or 4 of them now,I loan em out for transporting birds and never seem to get them back.Not a big deal though,the materials cost is very low,who doesn't have scrap 1/2 inch plywood laying around.
I also make my own wooden one's and loaning them out only guarantees they will come up missing. These days I only loan them to friends. I have an opening in the top to put them in and take them out made with bungee cord and denim. The large side is on hinge's to open down and fly birds. Got that idea from LCS except they hinge an end, harder to get all the birds out together. Big opening on the back covered with 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth and open hand holds on each end. An hour is about right to make one. And the other is a metal one racer's use. Friend found it and gave it to me.

I have remote traps and store bough whistle's. Other than that I make my own stuff. Love my foot traps. Simply made. Piece of 3/4" wood on each end cut out the size of a big coffee can and then pretty much cut in half. 1/2" hardware cloth stapled over it. 1" slates over it keeps the birds quiet so they don't dump themselves. Works about like the one's LNC sell's but they didn't cost me $25 each. I'll give them to friends that might want them too.