Train myself or find a trainer

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Train myself or find a trainer

Post by ultracarry » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:15 pm

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Breeds/G ... er01012014

Depends on where you get the info but I would say as long as it's balanced with the dogs features that should be good enough. Gspca haha what have they done for field trials or hunting in the breed?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:46 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:
ultracarry wrote:......Fyi the tail is cropped at 60% (research Gsp standard )

::Cheers:: do some work before you try to give some input. And please don't vote in the future.
GSPCA/Breed Standard..... :?
The tail is set high and firm, and must be docked, leaving approximately 40% of its length.
cr
CR

Sure does sound like both of you are saying the exact same thing...just in different ways. Maybe I'm the one that's a little off ?? After all I run longtails. :lol: :lol:

RayG

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:23 am

What are tails ? Am i missing something ?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:49 am

GSPCA Standard also says Black is a DQ. Who pays attention to any of it other then the show people & even then it's subjective to a point.They all get different meanings from it depending on what they are breeding.
Been there done that,showed in a different breed but the standard is not seen the same by any 2 people.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:33 pm

I just docked mine at 50% to be safe! :)

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:08 pm

If you really wanted to just come on down to California where the weather is good.
I been out there, I have family in hunington beach and temecula. The hunting sucks out there, it is a better chance of getting into the wild birds here than there. I go out the back door and start hunting. My dogs hunt all year round, run on 4 acres and are in very high level of endurance. We do varmints in spring and summer, has your dog killed a 25 lb coon? or a 45 lb yote? lol mine have

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:37 pm

ultracarry wrote:....Gspca haha what have they done for field trials or hunting in the breed?
You're right they don't do much, looks like just a couple of small time events.... :?
~
GSPCA Events; National Field Trial, National Amateur Gun Dog Championship
~
cr

aeast8

Post by aeast8 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:07 am

German standard (which is also the F.C.I. standard), the British standard, and the American standard. With regards to tail length, the American standard calls for docking to 40% length, while the other two standards call for leaving 50% of the tail.

You should learn how to read before giving input, please don't reproduce.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
ultracarry wrote:....Gspca haha what have they done for field trials or hunting in the breed?
You're right they don't do much, looks like just a couple of small time events.... :?
~
GSPCA Events; National Field Trial, National Amateur Gun Dog Championship
~
cr
That still doesn't do anything for the sport of field trials... How does that increase awareness that they even exist? I can put on the outdoor channel and see guys hunting dogs? Have been able to see BDC events covered and mentioned on TV. Plantation hunts saw those also. Never a mention of field trials.

And those events are pretty small considering the people paying attention are usually around the same number that has dogs competing... What under 1k? You can get more attention to field trials by running an add on Facebook... But that would require spending money on something to build the sport... Who would ever make an investment? Maybe pay for a segment in a hunting show with coverage of choice clips of field trials... No way!

And for tails on GSP's ... How can you even tell how much a tail was cropped when the dog was born? Unless you are cropping you will never know. Most people can't even do math and forget figuring 40-50-60% of an odd number in inches . And everyone goes by the standard in which their dog fits. Unless your showing no one gives two turds. And don't let this branch into black shorthairs. Because by some standards that's a no go! God forbid.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:48 pm

And for tails on GSP's ... How can you even tell how much a tail was cropped when the dog was born?
A little thang called expirience, get you some.

aeast8

Post by aeast8 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:30 pm

ultracarry wrote:http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Breeds/G ... er01012014

Depends on where you get the info but I would say as long as it's balanced with the dogs features that should be good enough. Gspca haha what have they done for field trials or hunting in the breed?
I don't see anything about 60% on the webpage you posted. Even the picture has it at 40%.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:20 pm

Who cares it's each persons own preference.I likem long rather then too short like I said before only the show people pays much attention to the standard & even then they pick & choose what is acceptable or not to them.

If you go to that site & scroll down to tail it says they should be docked at about half that's 50% not 40 but that's not the GSPCA standard either which does say 40% so depending on whos standard you go by it's not the same so like I said
it's the owners choice anyway,it's man made not genetic!

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:44 am

Boy talk about a thread going south, I don't know how the length of the tail on a GSP has anything to do with training, but evidently they must be harder or easer if the tail is longer or shorter. The poster asked if he should train his self or find a trainer.