E - fencing

Bounty_Hunter

E - fencing

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:05 am

Just wondering how many of you use invisible e- fencing to keep your dogs on the property? I am thinking of giving one a try this spring and have heard so many pros and cons that I'm wondering if it would be a waste of time and $. I have seen them work for smaller non hunting breed dogs but am not sure how they work on hunting breeds with strong prey drive. I appreciate any input. Thanks!

B_H

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: E - fencing

Post by cjhills » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:25 am

I had underground fence for several years and found it very effective. I could take the dogs across it to the field if I took off the collars. But they would not cross it without me.
My biggest issues were dead batteries in the collars which were not rechargeable and deer breaking the wire when they dug for acorns in the woods. Also the collars quit working and cost as much to replace as the whole system.
I have not used it for ten or more years, but the new dogs and young dogs seem to learn from the old ones and still do not go outside of the fence unless I go with them.
I am sure the newer systems are much better than the one I had, but if I did it again I would go for a better system and the collars would be rechargeable.
One other problem is it don't keep stray dogs out............................Cj

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:00 am

cjhills wrote:One other problem is it don't keep stray dogs out............................Cj
That seems to be the only downside but my bigger worry is would he cross the fence to get a rabbit, squirrel or cat since they regularly cross the yard now??

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:30 am

I had to go to higher power collar to prevent my dogs from going through when a cat showed up. The high power collars have 5 levels of stimulation and I find a 2 or 3 works for my dogs. One nice thing about these units is they use a 9 volt battery that last forever and I can mount them on a 1 inch collar.

Craig O.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:34 am

Red Delicious wrote:I had to go to higher power collar to prevent my dogs from going through when a cat showed up. The high power collars have 5 levels of stimulation and I find a 2 or 3 works for my dogs. One nice thing about these units is they use a 9 volt battery that last forever and I can mount them on a 1 inch collar.

Craig O.
What unit is that

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:37 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
cjhills wrote:One other problem is it don't keep stray dogs out............................Cj
That seems to be the only downside but my bigger worry is would he cross the fence to get a rabbit, squirrel or cat since they regularly cross the yard now??
Mine would not cross the fence for anything unless I went with them. It does make them a bit sensitive to e-collar training

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:14 am

cjhills wrote:
Red Delicious wrote:I had to go to higher power collar to prevent my dogs from going through when a cat showed up. The high power collars have 5 levels of stimulation and I find a 2 or 3 works for my dogs. One nice thing about these units is they use a 9 volt battery that last forever and I can mount them on a 1 inch collar.

Craig O.
What unit is that
Petsafe, I think they call it the "stubborn dog" collar. I've had mine for about 10 years and 3 or 4 generations of dogs. When the collar wears out I use a small soldering iron to burn holes into a new nylon collar and it's good to go. The 9 volt batteries last about a year, the dogs don't test the boundary very often once they are trained. I can leave the collars off for months at a time then I notice one of them is getting pretty close so I put them back on for awhile.

Craig O.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like the stubborn dog setup would be best for me too since he lights up like a Christmas tree every time he sees a cat. I wish I could start on it now but it looks like I may have to wait until July with the way this winter is going.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:00 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread, but how about the invisible fences that do not use wire? They have a base that is kept in the house and the dog can range in a 90 foot radius around the base, but if they get out of that area the collar stimulates them. I have looked at this several times but have not pulled the trigger.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Like said, I am as concerned about keeping things out. I have a 5' horse fence.

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:06 pm

rinker wrote:I don't want to hijack this thread, but how about the invisible fences that do not use wire? They have a base that is kept in the house and the dog can range in a 90 foot radius around the base, but if they get out of that area the collar stimulates them. I have looked at this several times but have not pulled the trigger.
I llooked at that system also and as you say they work on a radius. My place is an acre and a half rectangle with some areas I don't want them going. The wire allowed me to define where they can and can't go.

Craig O.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:13 pm

If your dog breaks through, then it can't come back in
Doesn't keep the Rottie from down the street from coming in and eating your dog
Doesn't keep other critters out..
Just put in a nice kennel run --- simple as that.

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Del Lolo wrote:If your dog breaks through, then it can't come back in
Doesn't keep the Rottie from down the street from coming in and eating your dog
Doesn't keep other critters out..
Just put in a nice kennel run --- simple as that.
I have a nice kennel run but I like to let the dogs loose in the yard while I'm out there without having to keep an eye on them all the time. This also take care of your point one, "If your dog breaks through, then it can't come back in" I don't turn them loose and then leave so if they were to get out I would know in pretty short order.

As for keeping the Rottie and other critters out you are correct but the weed wacker electric fence wire I ran for a short while sure worked well on the Rottie. I haven't seen him in years. Other critters can be dealt with, they mostly come in for the birds.

I view this kind of like my Garmin, it gives me a since of peace it's not a cure all.

Craig O.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:41 pm

I have had both the in ground and wireless units. The wireless was by far the best for my dog and yard. My now 5 year old setter figured out that with the in ground unit. If he went fast and jumped at the wire, he might not get shocked, and if he did it only lasted until he was a few feet past the wire.

But much to his surprise the wireless one keeps going off for about 30 seconds. We dragged him back in yelping, end of problem.

Works Great.

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 am

I don't trust in ground wire containment. I have seen dogs chasing deer be lit up with a TT at the max and they kept right on going. It won't keep out the neighbors dog as has already been said. And I doubt any of my DD are going to watch a raccoon waddle down the other side of the "line" and stay in place.

5' fence with a hot wire at the top is my preference...until I have a digger, in which case I'll wire the bottom too.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:09 am

Petsafe, I think they call it the "stubborn dog" collar
Been using this for 15 years now. my dogs will run back in if they get out. only time they get out is a battery dies or the electricity is off for a long time. 4 acres they have to run on, varmints come on the place do not last long. :) Best thing since sliced bread.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:19 pm

We have had the PetSafe wireless for over 10 years. We did have a problem with one lab breaking trough after cats until we got the stubborn dog collar :D We have 3 shorthairs now and they will sit almost nose to nose with the feral cats that have learned where the "line" is and our dogs hate cats! You are right it would be hard to use if you have areas you want to keep them out of, we're lucky our yard works for it.

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:30 pm

I did a blog post on E-fencing and our shorthairs a few months ago. I'm sharing it case you find some value in it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/2013/ ... c-dog.html

Kstring

Post by Kstring » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:38 pm

We use the petsafe wireless system. I like it because we have a couple places we stay during hunting seasons and it is easy to move. I do have to turn the collar to the highest power to keep our GSP in but with the high setting he won't get near the boundary. Our cocker won't get anywhere close to the line.

another thing I like is how the range can be adjusted. When at our home in town we can turn the range down but while at our cabin in the country we can turn it all the way up for the biggest range. What's funny is that at each place,even with different settings, the dogs know exactly how far they can safely go. We'll worth the money in my opinion.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Kstring wrote:We use the petsafe wireless system. I like it because we have a couple places we stay during hunting seasons and it is easy to move. I do have to turn the collar to the highest power to keep our GSP in but with the high setting he won't get near the boundary. Our cocker won't get anywhere close to the line. another thing I like is how the range can be adjusted. When at our home in town we can turn the range down but while at our cabin in the country we can turn it all the way up for the biggest range. What's funny is that at each place,even with different settings, the dogs know exactly how far they can safely go. We'll worth the money in my opinion.
Byrdgirl wrote:I did a blog post on E-fencing and our shorthairs a few months ago. I'm sharing it case you find some value in it. Good luck with whatever you decide. http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/2013/ ... c-dog.html
Good information here and it seems that most of you have real confidence in these systems. I was considering putting up a fence but the fact that none of the neighboring properties have fences made me think it would change the open appearance of the neighborhood, not to mention cost quite a bit more. I'm not to worried about other dogs coming into the yard and have only had it happen once or twice in the 20 years I have been living here but we do get skunks during the summer that I have seen a few times on summer nights cross the yard. I did have a bad experience with a skunk while sitting a relatives dog that went on vacation, needless to say they weren't to happy when they got their dog back. I wasn't to happy myself to be honest. With a foot of snow on the ground there's plenty of time to shop for the best deal.. Thanks again!

B_H

rollick

Post by rollick » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:36 am

I really apologize that this is not quite the right topic, but I've been trying all morning to create a new post/topic and can't get it to work, nor can I get a hit on my searches for the old topic. So I'm hoping someone here can help me find a recent post on a system of using PVC pipes on top of a pre-existing fence to prevent fence climbing. My neighbor won't consider anything electric, so that's a no-go. Again, my apologies, but I don't know how else to post. Many thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide. Cheers!

dalenpalmer

Post by dalenpalmer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:58 am

They are ideas for all in one polycrab roofing services online for the best fixings and maintenance..

roof repair companies
roofing companies Houston

roosterbrews

Post by roosterbrews » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:41 am

We have 3 dogs at home with the Efence. I like it but I am now starting to realize it does train the dog to react differently that expected when using the e collar. We are working through force fetch right now and when I started to transition to the ecollar from ear pinch he will freeze when he gets a shock. This is what he does when he wants to go outside our fence he will just freeze and take the shock for 30 seconds and then chase the rabbit. I wouldn't go without the efence but there are some little hiccups like that you may find.