Anyone have any experience with Hound heaters?

duckn66

Anyone have any experience with Hound heaters?

Post by duckn66 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:15 pm

I'm still exploring options as far as whether to build indoor kennels or keep the current set up. I've known about Hound Heaters for quite some time but have never really considered them. I always bring the mutts inside when it's really cold. Heat of the summer they stay pretty cool where they are with the shade and breeze.

I have Pro-Built boxes and they said there is no need for heat in them but I just can't see them being all that warm with just OSB for insulation. So, I'm considering looking into Hound Heaters as well.

Anyone have any experience with them and what's your opinion on how well they work or don't work?

birdshot

Re: Anyone have any experience with Hound heaters?

Post by birdshot » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:30 pm

I have had a hound heater for two years now. I have been very happy with it. I set the thermostat at 55 F. It comes with a indoor thermother so you can get the temperature right.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Do you find that you still need to put hay in the house?

Of course with no heater I stuff the boxes with hay and change it frequently but under them I have rubber matting. I have found that with the metal swinging doors on my houses that lots of hay can prevent them from opening and/or closing. Would you think that less hay or even no hay would still offer the warmth?

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:04 pm

OldHeaterStepup.jpg
I have the old "can shaped" heater that preceded the Hound Heater. In general I plug mine in when the temps fall below 35ish and leave them plugged in (no thermostat). I have hay inside the Dog Dens to allow them to nest and keep warm. They push the hay to the side or out the door to make the door move. Never had one stuck yet.

Love the heater. They were outside last night with temps below zero. High today is only 7 with wind chills below zero. As long as they have water, are dry, out of the wind and have somewhere warm to go, they can handle a lot of cold weather.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:26 pm

How could you rig the hound heater so that it would keep the dogs under a topper war during the extreme cold? I had one of my dogs adversely affected by hunting him in the extreme cold. Thought if I can get them into the box on regular rotations so they can get warmed up faster this might help. Any thoughts or has anyone rigged up the hound heater for this?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Munster wrote:How could you rig the hound heater so that it would keep the dogs under a topper war during the extreme cold? I had one of my dogs adversely affected by hunting him in the extreme cold. Thought if I can get them into the box on regular rotations so they can get warmed up faster this might help. Any thoughts or has anyone rigged up the hound heater for this?

You will need a generator or inverter. Best prices on inverters is often at truck stops. Better bet may be a 12 volt heater. Get a remote thermometer. Dogs produce a lot of body heat.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:38 pm

My buddy built a couple of dog houses and put hound heaters in them. He uses a weighted canvas flap as the door that goes into the dog pen. He loves them. He built in a back door to the dog house he can open ---inside the dog house he can put a bowl of water & food and the hound heater keeps the water from freezing. He puts some cedar chips inside the dog house but it is mostly to make the dog smell good.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:09 pm

I don't think you can go wrong with a hound heater. I use it in my whelping box to regulate the temperature in the winter. I have talked to the owner of the company a number of times and had a booth next to him at Game Fair in Minnesota this past year. He is very serious about doing things right and taking care of his customers.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Wow, this was some great info! Looks like I will be purchasing one to try it out. And if it's as good as you all say I'll be looking to get 4 more.