National Championship

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: National Championship

Post by slistoe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:59 am

hi-tailyn wrote: With the Garmins on the dogs, do the quail research ever cross reference the data of where the dogs run to where the birds are normally located. Or even better yet have they ever followed with quail trackers and see where the birds are or were as the dogs and gallery travel through the courses.

Might be a true evaluation as to how the quail evolve through the year and trials on the grounds. Whether they stay locally or do they move deeper and deeper into the thickets?
Garmin technology did not exist then, but both studies did follow the dogs and the quail and made observations of the interactions. I did have copies of the information that was made available from the studies at the time they were published online, but that computer is long since dead.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:10 am

They do not download the Garmin and I doubt they ever will. The judges might be influenced by technology is their reasoning.

Back when they were trying to prove there were ample wild quail, they did mark the location of radio collared birds in relationship to 400 meters each side of the center line of the course. That is a 1/2 mile swath. It did not show much.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:19 am

Well, I was right, but I doubt if we will ever know if it had anything to do with my reasoning.

Two time NC setter.

Ike

Post by Ike » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:34 am

Neil wrote:Well, I was right, but I doubt if we will ever know if it had anything to do with my reasoning.

Two time NC setter.
:D 8)

outdoorscribe

Post by outdoorscribe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:35 pm

So, what would a Bo-sired puppy go for? Just curious for a ballpark figure.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:54 pm

I have a hard time understanding why people are willing to lay out so much for a stud service or a puppy that no one can guarantee greatness. Then I recall many years ago the family that owns and makes tabasco sauce, Illilie (?) can't spell it, bought Riggins White Knight just to say they had the greatest dog in the world. As I recall they paid $90K for a ten year old dog! To me, that's is insane! But to them it was fair. Poor people have poor ways! :)

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:56 pm

Don,

I believe the dog the Tabasco owner, Col. Mcilhenny bought for big bucks was Miller's White Cloud and he won the NC at like 8 yo in 1968.

Does not change your point, just testing my memory. I also believe Riggen'White Night died with D. Hoyle Eaton, his handler.

But you are right, those with money are not like us.

But I still believe even $2,000 for a pup that might win is a small part of the total cost and a bargain.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:59 pm

[quote="Neil" But I still believe even $2,000 for a pup that might win is a small part of the total cost and a bargain.[/quote]

Agreed. Especially in light of the fact that people are consistently dropping two grand for Labradoodle pups that have little to no potential for ever capturing the National Labradoodle Championship.

outdoorscribe

Post by outdoorscribe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:23 pm

$2,000 seems inexpensive for a dog of that lineage. I was thinking more like $5k - $10K