Horseback Trial Question

Luminary Setters

Horseback Trial Question

Post by Luminary Setters » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Should both judges be watching the potential winner anyway.?

dan v

Re: Horseback Trial Question

Post by dan v » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:54 pm

Luminary Setters wrote:Should both judges be watching the potential winner anyway.?
Sometimes that not possible. One judge can get hung up watched a dog on a difficult find, maybe an extended flushing attempt, multiple relocates...and then they are far enough behind that the judge doesn't get to see much of the dog to the front.

Having both judge watch one dog is a double edged sword...4 eyes see more, and talk about more, than 4 eyes watching two dogs.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:07 pm

At some point when you are judging, especially in an hour, and especially when you are liking what you see, a judge will ask to switch off dogs so that both get a chance to see the dog with adequate attention.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Elkhunter wrote:What does it matter if he watches your dog or the other handlers dog. Judge still has to ride the course, your not doing him any favors by picking up.
Do you really want a judge and maybe a gallery watching your dog put down a sub par performance? And if your dog is not getting it done in that stake, his performance is not what it ought to be on that particular day; if there was any hope for better the judge would not have suggested you pick the dog up.

Come to show off your dog at his best. Leave training mode at home.

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:24 pm

Shags brings up a good point....by somebody keeping a dog that out of contention down....and as a judge I'm behind, it prevents me from catching the front to watch a possible winner. Although, at times when behind and trusting the person I'm judging with....I won't try to catch the front if the dog IMO isn't moving things around either.

cybergundog

Post by cybergundog » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:40 pm

RoostersMom wrote:I misspoke earlier - no derby - just puppy. I've got a pointer, not a GSP this time around. Jon usually trains GSP's (his personal dog - Charlie, FC Odyssey's Perfect Traveler is a nice one) but the Vizsla people have found him - and they seem to really like him. I do like the fact that he trains what you bring him. I have no intention of going through dogs until I find a competitive trial dog, mine are house dogs and hunting dogs first.

I've never field trialed, just dog games like BHU and then MH tests with my Vizsla. Well, one walking puppy first and a derby second with our young GSP last year. Jon will let me learn this with him and I'm really comfortable with him. He seems excited to work with my pup, I think he likes the Pointers, though he doesn't get as many of those as the GSP's. He treats my dogs well, is hard on me sometimes, but all-in-all, I'd trust him with any of mine and that means more to me than winning. I'm aware of my own faults and not being as competitive as the next guy is one of them. I'll do this until I don't have fun doing it and then I'll do something else with the dog.

You guys have given me some good advice (I hope) and I'll for sure keep you up to date on his progress.

Here's the little guy (he's really big to me) at a bit over 6 months on the last day of quail season here.
IMG_8214.JPG
Jon is an amazing trainer - we interviewed many last year and decided to drive 1500 miles to leave our 2 year old Vizsla with Jon. After breaking that vizsla, we decided to have him work with our 6 month old vizsla this winter. What he is able to do with dogs in unbelievable - all pointing breeds and all temperments.

Best of luck!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:43 pm

ultracarry wrote:I would go with a field trial trainer and not perfection kennels if you want a competitive dog. I hear they are good, but you may want a great product. Just sayin.
I'm pretty sure that Perfection Kennel trained this year's 2014 VCA NGDC - Enzo. Pretty cool accomplishment for Brandon! I've met him out there at Jon's place multiple times in the last year with Enzo - nice dog.

Ya'll wish me luck - this weekend is the big first time for me. I'll be running my new GSP in amateur and the pointer puppy in amateur walking puppy. I hope to not get bucked off and to not loose my dog. :wink: I'll consider this a "donation" to the local GSP club since I'm sure it'll be a bit rough this first time!

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:33 pm

Good luck and have fun!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:14 am

RoostersMom wrote:
ultracarry wrote:I would go with a field trial trainer and not perfection kennels if you want a competitive dog. I hear they are good, but you may want a great product. Just sayin.
I'm pretty sure that Perfection Kennel trained this year's 2014 VCA NGDC - Enzo. Pretty cool accomplishment for Brandon! I've met him out there at Jon's place multiple times in the last year with Enzo - nice dog.

Ya'll wish me luck - this weekend is the big first time for me. I'll be running my new GSP in amateur and the pointer puppy in amateur walking puppy. I hope to not get bucked off and to not loose my dog. :wink: I'll consider this a "donation" to the local GSP club since I'm sure it'll be a bit rough this first time!
You have a great time. :) Good on you for giving it a go. Let us know how it goes. The first time I went the judge said , "Pick up your dog." and I thought I had to carry it all the way back to the car.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:58 pm

You probably already saw my post on the main chat page - I had a great time, did exactly what Jon told me to do - and walked away with two first place ribbons! The judges were great to work with and I can't say enough about the club that hosted this deal - very nice group of people.

There were 28 dogs in the Amateur stake and I made callbacks with my sister's dog. Mine didn't make it to callbacks, but did have a clean run and found 4 birds too. My sister's little GSP is a fireball and she acquitted herself very well on that fine day! Handled well and did her callback like a pro. She went on to win the stake!

In the puppy stake, my pointer did well too with a first place ribbon. It was a little like herding cats, but he went where I did and handled fine.

Again, thanks for all the encouraging words. And to Jon Hann at Perfection Kennel for spending the time to get me ready to run. And my sister for having the best birddog ever! Chet and Jody Beckley let me ride a short horse (thank the lord for that one!) and Chet scouted my pointer puppy for me. Tom Wynn scouted all my amateur braces. The judges were friendly and VERY helpful to a newbie. I was nervous going in there but they were great - especially Brooks Carmichael, who spent time helping me to understand the hows and whys of field trialing. It was a learning experience and a fun time for sure.

I would suggest that anyone wanting to "give it a try" to do so - and if you're in the vicinity of the Heart of America GSP club when they have an event, they were just wonderful people! I highly recommend giving it a chance.