Chocolate lab not as smart as black or yellow?

dthx

Chocolate lab not as smart as black or yellow?

Post by dthx » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:33 am

A dogman with a long experience in AKC field trials told me that in his opinion, Chocolate labs have been bred for color for so long that they arent generally thought of for field trial excellence..they do all right in hunt tests but do not generally receive top honors in field trials.
I dont know if that is true because there are not as many chocolates as blacks OR if breeders in their desire to get an ENTIRE litter of chocolates ....breed chocolate to chocolate....using any chocolate female in their kennel...
Now if two black labs become parents and have 2 or 3 Chocolates in the litter..then those pups would better retain the disposition to become a field trial champion like the parents and grandparents....but as you breed down the line purposefully getting all chocolates...I dont know..
My pup will be a choc male.
But there are several high powered FC, AFC, chocolates in my new pups pedigree....and a bunch of black labs with FC,AFC,CFC,CAFC, .....I would like nothing better than to do my best to give him what he deserves and win an AKC title...
What say all of you on the breeding issur?

DougB

Re: Chocolate lab not as smart as black or yellow?

Post by DougB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:32 am

There is a strong chance that nobody has done any real research on this, and all that is available is opinions formed from a few personal observations

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:54 am

dthx wrote:A dogman with a long experience in AKC field trials told me that in his opinion, Chocolate labs have been bred for color for so long that they arent generally thought of for field trial excellence..they do all right in hunt tests but do not generally receive top honors in field trials.
I dont know if that is true because there are not as many chocolates as blacks OR if breeders in their desire to get an ENTIRE litter of chocolates ....breed chocolate to chocolate....using any chocolate female in their kennel...
Now if two black labs become parents and have 2 or 3 Chocolates in the litter..then those pups would better retain the disposition to become a field trial champion like the parents and grandparents....but as you breed down the line purposefully getting all chocolates...I dont know..
My pup will be a choc male.
But there are several high powered FC, AFC, chocolates in my new pups pedigree....and a bunch of black labs with FC,AFC,CFC,CAFC, .....I would like nothing better than to do my best to give him what he deserves and win an AKC title...
What say all of you on the breeding issur?
I say who cares what the gent thinks? If chocolates do well in hunt tests that's all that really matters when it comes a true gundog! When selecting an actual field dog I could care less what 'trialing blood' the hound has in them. Focus on how the parents perform in the field, as in take in a shoot with mom and dad. If they have successful hunt test blood in them then great! if the line has never entered a trialing event I wouldn't give a darn.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:24 pm

I would say that is more a matter of poor breeding than it is a matter of color. when you consider you can get all three colors from a given litter to say that the chocolate dog will not be as smart as the yellow or black dogs is a spit in the face of genetics.

Poor breeding done by breeders looking to make a buck has ruined many a breed, it is not the color of a dogs spots that make or break it in the field.

Jim

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:25 pm

I am not at all sure about the answer to this as I have only owned and worked with one chocolate lab. She was the only chocolate in her litter ( I think) and was a sister of a very good black lab bitch I owned from an earlier litter. I found her to be easy to train but not as "clever" as her older sister.

I can only say that choc labs aren't well thought of among Britains field trailers. I didn't find this to be true with the one choc pup I had but most of the trailers I have talked with find chocolates be a bit slow in movement and in brain power.

Bill T.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Nonsense

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Neil, Wild Bill's talking about chocolate Labs not "chocolate" liver spaniels... :wink:

As somebody else noted, who cares what other trainers think of chocolate Labs, they won't know what to think of yours (OP's) if you actually train it up and set out to get some of those titles you plan to pursue.

And if you do train it up - as with the chocolate FT dogs I have the privilege of training with - you've got yourself a barn-burner that ain't giving no quarter "in movement and in brain power" (sorry, Bill) to blacks or yellows. They're powerful dogs and they make a powerful impression afield and especially on the water, and they also make a nice "comforter"

for your own dog when it's gone awry...

MG

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:32 pm

Neil, I'm not sure why you think my post was "nonsense ?" It applied only to the chocolate lab I had and to various field trailers I have talked to . I made no sweeping generalisations and stated I was unsure of the answer to this question.

Bill T.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:16 pm

The color of the paintjob has nothing to do with brain power,Theres more than a few idiotic Black and Yellows I guarantee it,and it comes about from breeding idiots to idiots.It gets done in all breeds of dogs.The method used to get such a beast is Backyard 101 where there is no real thought,unbiased evaluation or plan.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:47 am

LOL. I've seen far more dufus black labs than any other and more dufus yellow labs than chocolate labs...hmmm maybe there's a pattern here....

deke

Post by deke » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:22 am

Free food, free house, walks, and belly scratches...... yeah sounds like a stupid animal to me :D

But in all seriousness color doesn't matter as much as breeding. Unless you are getting your pup from a breeder that is strictly breeding for one color and ignoring any other traits.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Wildweeds wrote:The color of the paintjob has nothing to do with brain power,Theres more than a few idiotic Black and Yellows I guarantee it,and it comes about from breeding idiots to idiots.It gets done in all breeds of dogs.The method used to get such a beast is Backyard 101 where there is no real thought,unbiased evaluation or plan.
In some cases though they go together. It has nothing to do directly with color but does have something to do with chocolates being a newer color and too many people breeding for color rather than ability. I have heard the same thing as many of you have but I think you will see them catch up as more people start breeding for ability and not the color.

Ezzy

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Guy can't be long in dog experience with a statement like that. A lab is a lab. You can get choc's from two black parents. Bunch of garbage.

Used to be, 40 years ago, there was a difference in ability, but never intelligence. Used to be a saying "If it's brown, flush it" but the dog's have come a long way since then. Back then, the choc's hated picking up a bird; they'd try and do it ith their front teeth without gripping the bird. Got them pretty well straightened out now though.

But it was never a question of intelligence.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:28 pm

If we take all the colour out of Springer spaniels does it make them smarter ? :lol:
Ooops! ..That's a Cocker !...lol
Yellow/Black/Pink ....I'll have a Tartan one any day 8) :wink:

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:58 pm

I always tell me Mom that her chocolate lab started as a yellow lab. She is such a turd hound she turned brown!