UTV set ups.

jimbo&rooster

UTV set ups.

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:08 am

Ok, I just aquired a polaris ranger 400, and im curiouse how some of yall have set yours up for working/hunting dogs. Specifically Im interested in how you haul dogs with yours and roading rigs. Currently I have just thrown my dog boxes on a small trailer.

Jim

rselliott725

Re: UTV set ups.

Post by rselliott725 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:09 am

Jim,
This was the best "hunting" set up that I could come up with. I tried a dog box for the ranger but I really missed having the bed. So I had this rack built and the chain allows you to put multiple dogs in the bed and to still be able to use the bed easier when needed. I like this set up for training too. I can put my launchers, guns, shells, bird bags and dummies in the box on top of the rack to keep the dogs from mauling the gear on the ride to the training field.
rsz_img_2251.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks,

We used to run chains down the side of the beds in our pickup trucks like that for coyote hounds, and I actually had thought about that for the ranger. Ill look into building a rack. That would be a ton easier than dealing with a trailer or a box. thanks.

Jim

codym

Post by codym » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:32 am

Here's my roading set up, I can do four dogs at one time if I want. Terry Chandler has a long piece of PVC pipe that he has bolted on to his role cage just below the windshield that runs across the ranger then he has two smaller pieces that he inserts into the bigger piece at each end. on the other end of the smaller pieces he has a metal eyelet and can drop a chain off that and hook up a dog. it puts a dog about 3ft away from the front tire and pretty close to the passenger and driver. Its really useful for training. I use a big two hole aluminum dog box in the bed of my ranger to hold dogs. I can easily take four dogs but I do have to leave the tailgate down. I have a couple friends with really nice dog boxes with water storage and boat seats mounted to the top so people can sit up high, kind of like a texas quail buggy, those are really nice, but most Ive seen require you to take take the bed off and I really would rather not do that. I use my ranger for more than just dogs.

Hard to haul one of these guys without a bed!

eddieb

Post by eddieb » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:56 pm

CodyM,

I was wondering if you would would share the specs on your roading rig for a polaris ranger. length and height of rig. I am going to try and build one like yours. How far apart are the dogs from each other when you have them attached to the rig? What is the length of chain you use? Any help or tips you can share will be greatly appreciated.

eddieb

Vision

Post by Vision » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:20 pm

codym wrote:Here's my roading set up, I can do four dogs at one time if I want. Terry Chandler has a long piece of PVC pipe that he has bolted on to his role cage just below the windshield that runs across the ranger then he has two smaller pieces that he inserts into the bigger piece at each end. on the other end of the smaller pieces he has a metal eyelet and can drop a chain off that and hook up a dog. it puts a dog about 3ft away from the front tire and pretty close to the passenger and driver. Its really useful for training. I use a big two hole aluminum dog box in the bed of my ranger to hold dogs. I can easily take four dogs but I do have to leave the tailgate down. I have a couple friends with really nice dog boxes with water storage and boat seats mounted to the top so people can sit up high, kind of like a texas quail buggy, those are really nice, but most Ive seen require you to take take the bed off and I really would rather not do that. I use my ranger for more than just dogs.

Hard to haul one of these guys without a bed!

What is the distance from the receiver hitch and the top of the roaring bar?

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:08 am