Let's see hunting shacks

SpinoneIllinois

Let's see hunting shacks

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:26 pm

Do you have a hunting shack? Let's see it. I'm looking for ideas to steal.

Grange

Re: Let's see hunting shacks

Post by Grange » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 pm

A few pictures from a few years ago of the living room from the family cottage where we are based for most of our grouse hunting excursions. We've made some changes recently from some remodeling in the kitchen area and replacing the patio door.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Very nice, Grange. Tired dogs and a warm fire — it don't get much better than that!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:43 am

I've been thinking about this lately. At my age, setting up and taking down a tent is a drag. Would like a hunting cabin but think money could be better spent on maybe a 20' pull trailer. A cabin will pretty much tie you to the general area the cabin is in. Some of the 20' and smaller RV type pull trailers are very nice. Work as a fishing lodge during the summer also.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:22 am

I've been thinking about it too, Don. I just recently got 100 acres of creekside property, mostly timber, only about 14 miles from home. Deer, turkey, an area for field training and even a pond suitable for water training. The dogs even found a covey last weekend, and I wasn't expecting quail.
So I'm looking at my options. I'd like to have a place where I can spend a weekend training, hunting, or fishing, and be able to store some gear. For property tax purposes, it needs to technically be mobile. I've thought about a camper, cabin on skids, prebuilt shed, even shipping container or cargo trailer.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:50 am

SpinoneIllinois wrote: I've thought about a camper, cabin on skids, prebuilt shed, even shipping container or cargo trailer.
We use a Camo'd Aliner trailer. Sqhishes down like a tent trailer, but it has solid aircraft aluminum outer walls -- insulated with paneling on the inside. Two burner stove, fridge, sink with running water, microwave, 16,000 btu forced air furnace, plenty of storage and a nice sized bed. It's only a 12 footer, but it's all we need.
We use it in the mountains and mainly at the duck pond. We park it (3.5 months) just a few yards from the pond and short walking distances to the blinds. It definitely doesn't keep birds from coming in.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:45 am

For being mobile, an individual on another site took an enclosed cargo trailer and made the inside how he saw fit. Of course this would still be considered primitive I think, but maybe a bit less than tent type primitive.

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:11 am

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:11 am

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:12 pm

SpinoneIllinois wrote:I've been thinking about it too, Don. I just recently got 100 acres of creekside property, mostly timber, only about 14 miles from home. Deer, turkey, an area for field training and even a pond suitable for water training. The dogs even found a covey last weekend, and I wasn't expecting quail.
So I'm looking at my options. I'd like to have a place where I can spend a weekend training, hunting, or fishing, and be able to store some gear. For property tax purposes, it needs to technically be mobile. I've thought about a camper, cabin on skids, prebuilt shed, even shipping container or cargo trailer.
100 acres. Think I'd be real serious about Johnny House's out there. Wish I had that much land of my own to train on. Good luck to you!

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:34 pm

I bought A 12 X 28 with a sleeping loft park model mobile home, sorry no pictures works great for me and a little more permanent then a camper but still moveable in need be, I payed $ 6000 used I couldn't build it for that, if your looking for a small structure look up off grid cabins there a lot of nice ideas on the web, some are use shipping container and fixing then up pretty nice :o

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Here is my hunting camp, it's old like antique 1973 but it keeps you dry & warm & can move it from place to place.Can even use it at a F Trial!! Has everything I need have used it in Turkey camp for just 3 days shy of a month.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:35 pm

79 Chalet. Everything works. Very well insulated. It tows like a dream. Here it is home for a snow goose hunt in the Rio Grande Valley.

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Here is my Chalet during a fly fishing trip to the San Juan, camping at Navajo Dam.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:50 am

Del Lolo wrote: We use a Camo'd Aliner trailer. Sqhishes down like a tent trailer, but it has solid aircraft aluminum outer walls -- insulated with paneling on the inside.
I used one of those for years.Image

Now, mine was used very roughly, taken into some very unfriendly and we country. First, my roof started leaking around the skylight, then when the to halves sealed. Condensation inside was a killer unless you kept the top vent and a side window open. Finally, the floor rotted out, their main problem. When I crawled under, I couldn't believe they hadn't used some type of waterproofing on the underside of the floor.

Now mind you, mine was on some very rough roads and I used it in both winter and summer. Beware though. Yours is a beaut but they DO require preventive maintenance.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:38 am

gonehuntin' wrote: 1. Now, mine was used very roughly, taken into some very unfriendly and we country.

2. First, my roof started leaking around the skylight, then when the to halves sealed.

3. Condensation inside was a killer unless you kept the top vent and a side window open.

4. Finally, the floor rotted out, their main problem. When I crawled under, I couldn't believe they hadn't used some type of waterproofing on the underside of the floor.

5. Now mind you, mine was on some very rough roads and I used it in both winter and summer. Beware though. Yours is a beaut but they DO require preventive maintenance.
1. Mine has the "off road" package. You can take it anywhere -- drag it over downed trees, rocks etc without a problem.
2. Never had a problem -- even with 60 mph wind and rain.
3. Same here. But i like a little ventilation anyway.
4. We've had ours for 10 years -- it's waterproofed underneath (wherever there is wood). Maybe they're all like that now -- or maybe it was part of the off-road package, I don't know.
5. We use ours from SEP 1 through the last weekend of JAN and during Grouse season, we take it into some nasty places.
Everything I own requires maintenance.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:28 pm

We used to have a Korean War vet in hunting camp until he passed 5/6 yrs ago.He used to drive a truck with a camper on the back & one yr he damaged that truck in camp.The following several yrs his wife
didn't allow him to use it at camp anyway.
He pulled a smaller version of those fold up A frames with his Harley to sleep in & he always stayed the full wk.He was like 6"5" & had to stand in the middle & his feet almost stuck out the back when he slept.
He wasn't about to miss hunting camp.We used to have about 20 men when we started & the older ones slowly passed away & the younger guys well my guess is good as yours but the older guys brought their sons
once they passed no one to bring them.I was 34 when I started going they did away with the deer season we used to go to there last yr so only leaves turkey season & I'm not sure I will make another one though I hate to quit
going there.Last turkey season my friend's son & I were the only 2 that camped though I had a few visitors.MY friend who I met there the first yr I went 1981'his son has continued coming since his dad passed in 2008.

I can't tell you all the good times we had standing around that big kettle that held our camp fire telling embellished stories & even a few out & out lies! :lol:
Some of my best memories. We all started bringing our wife's & kids the wk end before the season started & many wonderful friendships were made between all.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Mine did not have the off road package; nothing was treated. by the time I sold it, the floors were rotted right out. I was lucky to get a thousand bucks for it. A-Liners were notorious for rotted floors. They must have fixed that problem no.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:19 pm

NLsetter wrote:Image

If this is what you call a shack I would sure like to see your mansion

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 pm

cjhills wrote:
NLsetter wrote:Image

If this is what you call a shack I would sure like to see your mansion

Its all in the view, cabin is 24x24 no electricity, gravity feed water ( no hot water) The view from the deck is worth a million bucks.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Part of the deal for the place involved the lady getting rid of a junk mobile home. One of her relatives has been stripping the metal from it. But the other day I went out there and discovered this:

I suppose that's one way to get rid of it.

windswept

Post by windswept » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:36 pm

I've thought about buying an old camper to pull out and let it sit permanently on the hunting farm. The only reason I haven't is I would guess that it would be full of mice in no time flat. Do you guys that use campers have a secret for me or do you just deal with it?

landonman

Post by landonman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:25 pm

I bought a all alum. tandum trailer with a v front 16 feet long fully insulated and lined inside with alum. Ordered 16 inches higher to accept my ranger,heat pump and air on the roof. Awning out side with camper door and windows. I haul a generator . and 2 roll away beds. It is wired for a battery and when the battery gets low I start the gen set and the way we go. landonman

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:02 am

Here's a recent picture of the family cottage.

Everything except the plumbing was done by the family. It was a pain in the butt at the time but now we all have fond memories of the work. We still talk about putting up the trusses and rafters without the use of a crane.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:39 pm

Finally getting around to posting these. These were taken around Christmas, when I had it nearly completed. Pretty happy with how it has turned out. I'm especially proud of the one wall, covered with old tin from a barn roof.
It's about 5 miles from a state park that offers pheasant hunting, and about 15 miles from my favorite preserve. There are a couple coveys of quail in the area -- dogs have pointed them a few times -- but I'm not sure I want to hunt any of those, due to low population.

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:48 am

in my dreams...