Tests & Competition

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Tests & Competition

Post by cjhills » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:50 am

ezzy333 wrote:
cjhills wrote:
shags wrote:In a test, you and your dog meet the minimum standard and get a pass - not a good score but a pass nonetheless. In a competition, meet the miminmum and you'll have your rear end handed to you. In fact, you can do the best you've ever done and still have your butt kicked because others' performance was even better.

Some folks can't handle that kind of frustration.
Many dogs that meet the minimum standards or do not qualify in hunt tests win in trial format and many FC have no chance in a hunt test. Keep in mind that you can have perfect scores in 5 categories and fail in one an you are done.........................Cj
I disagree with this. There might be a few but many is just plain overstating it to make your statement look better than it is.
First, I very much enjoy all forms of dog competition. it is all competition.
Ray, Just as you find the blind pig statement inappropriate, I find your statement which calls my post bs inappropriate.
Sharon, I have run many hunt tests and I have never seen one held on a one acre field. Maybe where you live but not here.
Ezzy, You can think what you like but many is not overstating and not trying to make my statement look better. It is what it is.
The major difference between MH test and trials is this: the MH dog must give a finish performance without verbal or physical handling. You would be DQ,d for singing, whistle blowing or collaring your dog. You do not have a scout to keep your dog on course. Also you can not hide the fact that a dog will not honor or retrieve, two things I find very important in a bird dog, they must do both to get a pass. Your dog must hunt reasonably close and check in or at be least be seen occasionally.
In the field trials I have seen if your dog covers a lot of ground, finds birds and looks pretty on point, you have a pretty fair chance of a placement. Nothing wrong with that. It is all good.
Again, do whatever you like and do not worry about what the other guy is doing. My way is not better or worse it is just different. Enjoy..................Cj