Prey drive question

Vikingoo168

Prey drive question

Post by Vikingoo168 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:50 pm

At what point should I be concerned that my GSP doesn't seem to be interested in game? He's is 14 weeks old and he points on leaves and random debris blowing in the wind, but when I take him near any birds he doesn't notice them until he's right on top of them and then only shows minimal interest. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated..

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Prey drive question

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Patience! More importantly how is the pup doing on housebreaking, leading on a leash, and coming when called. Worry about those things and for recreation take the pup for a walk at least once a week out in a field so it can get off leash and investigate the great world it lives in. And by the way keep your mouth shut while out there.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:25 pm

You do not need to be concerned about lack of prey drive, he is a baby!! I am betting that if he is pointing blowing leaves and such, he will be on fire around birds when he gets a little older.

Charlie

smittty

Post by smittty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:44 pm

what I like to do at that age and younger is to take about a dozen young quail and turn them loose all in one big heap in front of the pup let the pup chase, stump, eat and just have a blast with them ..them little birds hopping around like frogs on the ground should get him going

aeast8

Post by aeast8 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:10 pm

14 weeks is pretty young. That would be like placing a super model in front of a 5 year old boy. Give it some time.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:57 pm

Although I agree thats young and there is plenty of time, I have seen several young pups act birdie at that age. Understanding that all dogs progress at a different pace, I like dogs at a young age to display those traits.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:03 pm

The pointing breeds are sometimes slower to develop than the flushing and retrieving breeds when it come to birds. Just keep at it slow and easy, and he'll get interested soon.

Nate

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Certainly not at 14 weeks. Its something that takes time, age, experience and nurturing. Stop worrying and enjoy that pup

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Imo
The first year is all about just hunting and playing, get the dog around as many birds as possiblle.

Let him get BOLD by giving him time to be a dog.
Db

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:31 am

I watched a whole litter at 12 weeks get out with some quail. I think only one pup showed prey drive. One other was a follower. The rest didn't do much except play with each other. These were some pups out of National CH and HOF blood.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:32 am

Not many one year old kids make the Olympic Team either.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:59 am

kcbullets wrote:Although I agree thats young and there is plenty of time, I have seen several young pups act birdie at that age. Understanding that all dogs progress at a different pace, I like dogs at a young age to display those traits.
I agree, just saying it is nothing to be concerned about.

Charlie

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:39 pm

I think I disagree with most of the replys to a degree. I just say I'll take the pup out the hole litter at 12 weeks that went after the quail the rest can go with someone else. Will the others turn out ok? probably so but I'll take the one that shows it at 12 weeks, preferable showing it earlier than that. Vickingoo don't pay no mine to my first piece of my post just second piece. . its in ur best interest to get your pup as much bird exposer as you can (sooner than later) ur in the imprint stage of development right now, help him learn what he's here for and things should work out just fine for you. good luck and enjoy the journey

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Agree with Hattrick

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 pm

I will try this one more time, I am only saying that the OP has nothing to be concerned about at this time. He is not picking a puppy out of a litter, he already has his puppy. :D

Charlie

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:41 am

I don't think the O.P. has anything at all to be concerned about with his puppy. I've had GSP's and other versatiles that developed from 8 weeks onwards at very different rates. The GSP pup I once owned that was the oldest to even begin to develop a hunting instinct was 8 months old. I was beginning to think he never would be any good when , all within one week, his mental switch flipped to "ON" and after that happened my only problem was stopping him from hunting. About a month prior to him beginning to hunt my labs were flushing rabbits right past his nose and even right through his forelegs and he didn't even attempt to chase them. I was very worried but once his switch was flipped on it never switched to "off" again. He was used as one of the two dogs to make Britain's first ever versatile dog training video.

The O.P.'s pup sounds much more promising at a much earlier age than that pup of mine's !

Bill T.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:28 am

I am not trying to indicate the OP has anything to worry about at all. I am sure with the right steps and training his dog may become what he wants. I am only saying that some dogs have it at an early age, and I hope I am lucky enough to get one. I may be wrong but I believe that those dogs are easier to train and have some abilities that others don't. I am just basing that off my experience and possibly lack of my training ability. I will admit I have high expectations of my hunting dogs. I lost a EP about 15 years ago and have tried to find another pup every since to even remotely come close too. I currently have a GSP pup, just turned 3 months old. My first GSP. Went out yesterday to a field just to play and have fun and the pup pointed her first small covey of quail. I was shocked and very pleased. She didn't hold them but I wouldn't expect that at all. After they busted she worked the heck out of the grass area. She's showing great promise. I'm pretty excited and hopefully lucky she turns out to be very good, if I do my part right.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:13 am

Good word....I guess I can assume that there are folks that were disappointed in their kids when they hadn't mastered algebra by the third grade :lol: :lol: Every dog has its own pace which can be aided by the exposure we can provide. IMO...its not where you are at 12 weeks that counts....but at 3 years....that's when the package should be all pulled together and the "bonus" years as a hunting dog should kick off. The "glory years" come a bit later when a dog has some real experience under its belt. Train the dog on the end of the leash....not a textbook or by dogma. As long as the dog is progressing, its a keeper. When it comes up short...a decision is needed. Good luck!!

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:26 am

birddogger wrote:I will try this one more time, I am only saying that the OP has nothing to be concerned about at this time. He is not picking a puppy out of a litter, he already has his puppy. :D

Charlie
Agreed :) The pup should do fine if the OP doesn't get impatient and in a rush. exposure to field with tweety birds and butterflies and different types of cover at this point in his life.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:11 am

And I still say leading, housebreaking, coming, and just general manners type training is all that should be of concern at that age.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:55 pm

kcbullets wrote:I am not trying to indicate the OP has anything to worry about at all. I am sure with the right steps and training his dog may become what he wants. I am only saying that some dogs have it at an early age, and I hope I am lucky enough to get one. I may be wrong but I believe that those dogs are easier to train and have some abilities that others don't. I am just basing that off my experience and possibly lack of my training ability. I will admit I have high expectations of my hunting dogs. I lost a EP about 15 years ago and have tried to find another pup every since to even remotely come close too. I currently have a GSP pup, just turned 3 months old. My first GSP. Went out yesterday to a field just to play and have fun and the pup pointed her first small covey of quail. I was shocked and very pleased. She didn't hold them but I wouldn't expect that at all. After they busted she worked the heck out of the grass area. She's showing great promise. I'm pretty excited and hopefully lucky she turns out to be very good, if I do my part right.
She will!!

Charlie

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:58 pm

ezzy333 wrote:And I still say leading, housebreaking, coming, and just general manners type training is all that should be of concern at that age.

Ezzy
And I agree! 8)

Charlie