British Labs

kcbullets

British Labs

Post by kcbullets » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 am

Does anyone know of a reputable breeder/kennel for British Labs? Thanks in advance.

Grousehunter123

Re: British Labs

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 am

Wildrose Kennels in Oxford, Mississippi is one.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:06 am

Your in luck, because there's a very good one nearby. Haynes Floyd in Sylvia,KS.
www.britlab.com

Nate

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:48 pm

Nate, are you familiar with Floyd's dogs and kennel? Any info is appreciated. He is only 3.5 hours from me.

tompetey

Post by tompetey » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:56 am

British labs.com they use to be called Queensland international gun dog kennel, Dennis Anderson is his name the dogs are great this is a top notch kennel I had a dog from him and he was a great one! Check them out

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:12 am

tompetey wrote: British labs.com they use to be called Queensland international gun dog kennel, Dennis Anderson is his name
Was that when poor Anderson, tireless self-promoter that he is, was selling Australian British Labs by way of Scotland?

MG

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:49 am

And to the original poster - as far as a "reputable" breeder, I'd steer a few time zones clear of somebody who's made his reputation, such as it is, by libeling somebody else's reputation. The chap cited above, for example, propagandizes:
...the goal in producing what we believe to be a proper Labrador is to develop what we refer to as "two-speed'' dogs, or animals capable of sitting quietly and calmly under pressure, yet animals that exhibit tremendous enthusiasm, athleticism and game-finding ability when released.

Compare that description to today's typical American field-bred Labrador. Such an animal is often very large, between 80 and 100 pounds, often extremely aggressive and difficult to control in the field, and oftentimes noisy and over-energetic in its kennel or in a vehicle while being transported.
Those of us who train retrievers use a somewhat impolite term that rhymes with "Sit" at such rubbish. That goes for every word of it, including "the" and "and."

Doublebarrel has given you one reputable British Lab kennel, another would be Doublem Gundogs, outside Omaha, and maybe the best of the British kennels, Bracken Fen Gundogs in Mississippi (but definitely not Oxford, Mississippi).

MG

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:07 pm

kcbullets wrote:Nate, are you familiar with Floyd's dogs and kennel? Any info is appreciated. He is only 3.5 hours from me.
Haynes is a good old Missouri boy who I think you'll like. He and his wife run a very nice kennel that produces many good quality pups. I hope you've had the chance to look at his website, and will plan to schedule a trip to their place before you commit to a breeder.

I had the opportunity to visit the kennel a few years ago, and hunted with Haynes and a mutual friend near Hutchinson, KS. The mutual friend has 3 of Double T Kennels' labs. All of them are very nice dogs.

Nate

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:56 pm

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the information. I have spoken to Double T Kennels and plan to make a trip. I will also check out Doublem and Bracken Fen Gundogs. You guys have given me what I was looking for. Appreciate it!

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:08 pm

Good deal, kc - only other comment I would have is, in looking for a British Lab, ask the breeder if they're testing their litters for EIC (exercise-induced collapse). EIC http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/cani ... /home.html is a relatively recent discovered condition in Labs (all Labs) and can be heartbreaking either in losing a dog to it, or losing a dog's hunting career to it after the first episode. Almost all American performance Lab breeders now test for EIC (and breed against it, hoping eventually to eliminate it from the gene pool). I know Dublem Gundogs (which I misspelled above) is recognizing that EIC is a problem for Labs of any origin and (some) other British breeders have also realized that it needs to be addressed going forward with their breeding programs. But the kennels that turn out the largest numbers of British Lab pups - no names, if they've not already been mentioned in this thread - remain oblivious to it.

Good luck,

MG

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:20 pm

Good point on using only EIC cleared dogs and bitches for breeding.

Haynes Floyd has always impressed me by how seriously he takes breeding. He's certainly not one to cut off his nose to spite his face. All breeding dogs and bitches on his website have a listing of OFA or Eng. hip score, CERF, PRA, CNM and EIC. I'm not a breeder, so I may have missed one or two.

As a result of all these efforts to produce sound pups, they cost of them isn't cheap. But as has been implied, neither is a heartbreaker. One of my best dogs (an ESS)had severe hip dysplasia. This was found out at the age of 2, after a full year of AKC and UKC titling efforts - Money spent all for naught. Live and learn.

Nate

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:34 pm

kcbullets wrote:Does anyone know of a reputable breeder/kennel for British Labs? Thanks in advance.
Loads!!! Unfortunately they are 3,ooo miles from Kansas :)

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:37 pm

polmaise wrote:
kcbullets wrote:Does anyone know of a reputable breeder/kennel for British Labs? Thanks in advance.
I'd hate to get that shipping receipt :!:

Nate

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:48 pm

polmaise wrote:
Hah, Robt., 4,500 miles more like it - Kansas City, Missouri. That's the Show Me State - and you can tell Doublebarrel it's an even swap for a nice British Lab if somebody shows up and shows you a well-bred Boykin pup in return...

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:30 pm

crackerd wrote:
polmaise wrote:
Hah, Robt., 4,500 miles more like it - Kansas City, Missouri. That's the Show Me State - and you can tell Doublebarrel it's an even swap for a nice British Lab if somebody shows up and shows you a well-bred Boykin pup in return...

MG
:wink: :lol:
Still got the Boykin program on hold I'm afraid !..Looks like I'm the only one - bar- a one or two who are in it for the money rather than the program :cry: ..Most see them as Spaniels over here rather than 'Bone fide' all round working dogs .Maybe next year?..I have a litter of my own Labs due (where we always keep them all!! as you know) So busy times ahead. :wink: