sport dog gps system

big_fish

sport dog gps system

Post by big_fish » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:55 am

Any one have any good luck with this system?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: sport dog gps system

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 pm

A very nice unit, appears to be well made. Unfortunately I went through four or five before I finally got back my money and changed over to the Garmin. I believe every manufacturing company has poor product escape from time to time, even the best of companies. The best of them remedy the problem and move on. By the time I got my third bad unit in a row from them, i knew that I was dealing with a company that wasn't capable of putting out a consistently good product and was unwilling to make it right other than to continue to send out unit's hoping one would work. Because of that I'll never own another Sport Dog Product of any kind. I have not tried anything other than the gps tracker and a whistle. Even the whistle turned out less than I wanted but it didn't cost much. Sport Dog bought out Roy Gonia and it's hard to believe that they represent this whistle as a Roy Gonia. Really have to blow quite hard to make it work, can't finess it at all. They are proud of saying they make "equipment the way you'd make it". I would not continue to make and certainly market product's if the gps system is the best they can do. To bad, the only thing I didn't like about the gps was that is was completely unreliable.

smittty

Post by smittty » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:54 pm

I dont know I got the TEK and am happy with it very simple to use

Dan Buchman

Post by Dan Buchman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:30 am

I have the TEK and have had to return it twice in just over one season of hunting, about 160 hrs of use. The first time they sent me a brand new unit and the second time they sent me a new receiver. Their customer service is great but I don't trust the unit anymore so it sits on the shelve and I went out and bought a Garmin Astro. I did ask if they would refund my money since I went through two units in such a short period of time but their policy is to just keep repairing them. If your going to get a GPS tracking unit I would bite the bullet and spend the extra money on a Garmin, I wish I had.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:44 am

Dan Buchman wrote:I have the TEK and have had to return it twice in just over one season of hunting, about 160 hrs of use. The first time they sent me a brand new unit and the second time they sent me a new receiver. Their customer service is great but I don't trust the unit anymore so it sits on the shelve and I went out and bought a Garmin Astro. I did ask if they would refund my money since I went through two units in such a short period of time but their policy is to just keep repairing them. If your going to get a GPS tracking unit I would bite the bullet and spend the extra money on a Garmin, I wish I had.
I tried to get back my money and was told they didn't sell it to me so no refund. Had four and none lasted a month. Their customer service people were great, their customer service sucks. The dog supply I got mine from refunded all of my money after about six months. Actually I had they apply it to a Garmin and sent them the difference. It's to bad because it does look like a well made unit but wasn't even remotely accurate.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:01 pm

I recall buying a Garmin Astro 320 when they first hit the street. It worked for about one day before it went haywire. I had bought it from Gun Dog Supply and they promptly sent me another new unit and a return shipping label for the defective unit.

When the Garmin Alpha came out, I bought one. A short time later when using it on a hunt, it shut down the collar unit while the dog was running. It happened several times. I contacted Garmin and GDS. Both responded and continued to work the issue with me and other users until a solution was found. Months later, GDS sent me a later production collar to ensure I had the latest collar even though the issue had been resolved.

There was a big race between the makers of the GPS/e-collar combination when they were coming to the market. So, even Garmin had issues. I think buying from Gun Dog Supply has been the best decision I've made. They have always gone the extra mile in customer satisfaction even when they could have deferred to the manufacturer.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:47 pm

OK, I'm certain all manufacture's have problem's but it's how service deals with the problem that make's the difference. About 6 mos after I bought my collar from Gun Dog supply, I talked to them on the phone and explained what was going on. They had me return the unit and were willing to refund my money. What more can I say about Gun Dog Supply. They did exactly what Sport Dog should have done about four months earlier. Gun Dog Supply will still get what support I can give, Sport Dog can take a hike! Don't it hurt to reap the seed you sew?

I might add that that collar from GDS was well past their date to replace it but because of what was going on they did it anyway! Thanks GDS.