Cost of Bo pup's and service

DonF
GDF Junkie

Cost of Bo pup's and service

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:15 pm

I think I read that service to Bo now is $1500. That's a lot of money to pay for service that can no more guarantee a dog like Bo than breeding to some other very good dogs. Ant the cost of pup's? Have no idea what they go for but get your Bo pup at eight weeks and what you will get is an eight week old setter pup with no guarantee of greatness. i think I read that the year after Dunn's Fearless Bud won he brought in something like $30k in stud fees. None of his off spring have duplicated what he did that I know of. What really is the appeal of these high prices for puppy's and stud fees?

dan v

Re: Cost of Bo pup's and service

Post by dan v » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:22 pm

$1500 really isn't that high for a stud service.

big swill

Post by big swill » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:37 pm

I guess there's a couple of ways to look at it. One, you're paying for potential, but that can be said for just about any breeding. Two, there are folks with a lot of disposable income who are just happy with owning a pup out of a dog like Bo. It's a bragging right thing. I'm not saying it's always smart; I agree with you. An 8 week old pup is a crap shoot. My guess is that if Bo wins again, breeding to him is going to be even steeper. When I left the protection dog world, $1000-$1500 stud fees weren't that uncommon with some of the successful German shepherd studs. And people would line up to pay them. I think it's important to keep in mind that the odds of Bo producing what he is depends greatly on what he's bred to and the odds of a national champion coming out of him are probably slim. I know we all pretty much know that, I'm just making conversation. Does anyone know if any of his littermates have done anything of note? What produces a standout dog catches my interest as much as the dog itself.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Well if you don't think you have anymore chance of greatness, why go to any proven performer??

Get a toaster....they ARE guaranteed :wink:

Vision

Post by Vision » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:48 pm

DonF wrote:I think I read that service to Bo now is $1500. That's a lot of money to pay for service that can no more guarantee a dog like Bo than breeding to some other very good dogs. Ant the cost of pup's? Have no idea what they go for but get your Bo pup at eight weeks and what you will get is an eight week old setter pup with no guarantee of greatness. i think I read that the year after Dunn's Fearless Bud won he brought in something like $30k in stud fees. None of his off spring have duplicated what he did that I know of. What really is the appeal of these high prices for puppy's and stud fees?

Title's sale puppies that's the appeal.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:41 pm

I am a pointer man, I do not own a setter. I have seen 8 or 10 Shadow Oak Bo offspring at field trials, and that friends own. I liked them all a great deal. I am seriously thinking about trying one for myself. I have six very well bred pointers in my kennel that I did not pay a penny for. I traded with friends or raised a litter to get them. It is very difficult for me to justify paying a premium amount for a puppy, but I just may do it for a Bo puppy. Based on the limited observations of this bird hunter/weekend walking trialer, Shadow Oak Bo is the real deal as a producer.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:04 pm

If I had a half way decent female setter(which I don't) I would breed it to Bo in a heartbeat for $1500 dollars. I would be a bit interested in his get, The chances of breeding a national champion is mighty slim no matter what you breed. We get and have paid close to that for a MH GSP...............................Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Did you say you get $1500. for a pup from a Master Hunter GSP sire?

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:59 pm

The ad in last weeks issue of American Field lists stud fee at $1250

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:19 pm

The cost of keeping a dog on the major circuit is close to $20,000 a year, add the costs of you attending a few trials, even if you don't keep horses, and $1,500 for a pup is a bargain or at least a small percentage of total costs.

BTW John Rex Gates has a litter of 11 Bo pups that were whelped about 12 days ago. Bo repeats, they might be worth $3,000 each. Usually they are careful how often they breed one that is still competing, it can prove distracting.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Sharon wrote:Did you say you get $1500. for a pup from a Master Hunter GSP sire?
NO, we have paid and get paid close to that for stud service from MH GSP. It seems really cheap to me for a national champion if he can produce. My show dog friends pay way more than that................................Cj

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:20 am

cjhills wrote:cheap to me for a national champion if he can produce.
That is the key and early results are showing Bo can produce quality and winners. Now those pups just need the exposure.