AKC JUDGE QUALIFICATIONS

AZ Brittany Guy

AKC JUDGE QUALIFICATIONS

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:42 am

Must a person applying for a AKC Judge's certification have experience in handling and competing dogs in AKC Field Trials or have they dropped that requirement?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

AKC JUDGE QUALIFICATIONS

Post by ACooper » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:29 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:Must a person applying for a AKC Judge's certification have experience in handling and competing dogs in AKC Field Trials or have they dropped that requirement?
Last I heard you had to have six placements as a handler, I could be misremembering.

fuzznut

Re: AKC JUDGE QUALIFICATIONS

Post by fuzznut » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:30 am

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

AKC JUDGE QUALIFICATIONS

Post by ACooper » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:03 am

Thank you.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:28 am

Thank you.

larue

Post by larue » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:43 pm

last time i talked to akc they told me they tracked dog placements but not handler placements.maybe it has changed since i talked to them a few years back
so they might require placements but how do they know?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:26 pm

larue wrote:last time i talked to akc they told me they tracked dog placements but not handler placements.maybe it has changed since i talked to them a few years back
so they might require placements but how do they know?
A few years back when I applied for my AKC judge's card, they asked for trials I had judged at and I supplied them with a list of AF trials where I had officiated. That and the self administered test, and I got a card in the mail. I was not required to apprentice judge.

I doubt that they verified all of my listed AF judging assignments...but they may have, for all I know.

Don't care because if they did check, everything was in order.

As far as AKC searching their own database, I should think they would be able to search on just about anything including the handler's name, fairly easily.

RayG

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Ray, they have called Bernie in the past to confirm credentials (I've dealt with this getting AF judges certified for AKC assignments a couple of times).

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Karen wrote:Ray, they have called Bernie in the past to confirm credentials (I've dealt with this getting AF judges certified for AKC assignments a couple of times).
If I read it right it's a moot point because a club does not need to have a certified judge. So if you want a certification AKC will accept handled placements from AF. What about other venues like US Complete, NSTRA, etc.?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:29 pm

In NSTRA one must be a member of NSTRA for 6 months Take the written test and pass with 80% or better and then apprentice 8 braces...Then they have to renew every 3 years or if one wants to just a National NSTRA trial they must Judge 25 regular trials ( That is basically 25 days worth of trials as in a regular weekend trial one can only get 2 trials in and then judge a State regional trial Plus they should take and pass the test yearly

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:27 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
Karen wrote:Ray, they have called Bernie in the past to confirm credentials (I've dealt with this getting AF judges certified for AKC assignments a couple of times).
If I read it right it's a moot point because a club does not need to have a certified judge. So if you want a certification AKC will accept handled placements from AF. What about other venues like US Complete, NSTRA, etc.?

Since ABHA, NBHA and USCSDA are affiliated with and placements recognized by FDSB, I would assume that judging assignments for those organizations would fulfill the AKC requirement.

NSTRA is no longer affiliated with AF, so I don't know how that would be viewed.

RayG

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:40 am

I just called and got a test. Sent it in and have my apprentice number. No one asked me about placements

To be a judge you should have to have handled dogs to placements in AKC or judged in American Field. If you bend the rules and allow people to judge that have never handled a broke dog to multiple placements you end up getting a judge that interprets things differently and end up placing dogs that have movements after the shot, lunging after the bird, self relocating, not retrieving, and do not have a good application. We already have a few of those judges and don't need any more...............

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:18 am

From Page 9 Thing is they also must apprentice 2 stakes under two different judges. Those judges have to sign a paper indicating if they feel and approve that you will make a good judge and if they do not feel like you will make a good judge they have to indicate the areas where you need to work on before apprenticing again.
As a condition of approval, all Judges must have
a record of having handled a dog or dogs to five (5)
placements in adult stakes in any Pointing Breed
field trials
exception being made for persons that
have
judged ten (10) or more assignments at AKC
field trials.
In order to be approved to be published in the
premium list, the two Judges of each stake must
have a combined record of having judged at least
five (5) adult stakes in AKC or American Field field
trials. For example, if one Judge has judged two adult
stakes, the second Judge must have judged at least