New bread: American field pointer?

JKP

Re: New bread: American field pointer?

Post by JKP » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:57 pm

I think I was about twenty five years old when I realized that most folks hereabouts wanted to see their dogs...ALL of the time. They often panicked when the dog went out of sight and I never really understood why.
Ezzy,
A lot of folks just like to see their dog work. They like to see the dog find scent and move to the point. I don't take a lot of pleasure walking by myself with a "drone" out there on the GPS.
I know I exaggerate but its not too far from what you are talking about. You make a HUGE mistake thinking that I and others are too weak in the knees to have a dog out of sight and over the hill.

There aren't 5 hunters in 100 that want or even need a dog 500+ yards to the front. Who do the AA folks think they are breeding dogs for? 95%+ of the birds shot in this country, wild or otherwise, are shot by a hunter that walks less than 200 yds to the point....anyone want to bet me?? I have no problem with the extremes...but lets not kid ourselves that that is anything else than a fraction of the sporting dog world...and that 500-1000 yd dogs is just "go karts" for grown ups.
I think the biggest difference between FDSB HBAA Pointer and and AKC bench or dual dog is what's between their ears. The mental makeup that allows them to be so versatile.
Nothing has been said on this topic that is more true than this. Good working dogs are stable, calm and focused. Years ago before getting into DD, I traveled in GWP circles and the show dogs were full of "fruit loops" that the show crowd thought were cute and entertaining.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Fun dog wrote:
Wyndancer wrote:I wonder if any of the top level sled dog teams run purebreds? Or, as I think, they are concerned about one thing...performance, get the sled to the finish before anybody else. But I guess the flip side is...they aren't restrained by a registry either.
I can answer this. The top level sled dog people run what's called the Alaskan Husky. We don't care what color it is, how long it's tail is, if it has blue, brown, or a mix of eyes. We don't care if it's ears stand up or hang down. We solely look for performance. A desire to pull, good feet, good coat and a voracious appetite. And yet the dog still has a look about it that says Alaskan Husky. The Alaskan husky is basically a mutt with a very long pedigree. It is also a dog with very few health issues. Now there are a few Siberian husky teams out there. There is a kennel of siberians that has been breeding dogs for over 60 years and breeding them for performance. While they can't outrun a good Alaskan Husky team, they are usually only a few minutes behind. They are athletic and pretty, but would probably be laughed out of the show ring. Now take your typical Siberian show dog. Fluffy coat, short legs, tail set too high and curled. Put them in a race with Alaskan Huskies and they will be 30 to 40 minutes behind in a short 6 mile race. As far as I can see akc show ring has done a great disservice to the breed. Now in Europe you were required to run purebred teams. Since the siberians were so slow they started running German Shorthairs in their races. In short races they are hard to beat and you can hunt them in the off season.
Perhaps it will get to the stage where by registry is some what restricting the possibility of creating the alto mate field dog, so maybe toss the registry/ standard out the window and just stick to conformation and may the best man win

Down here we have such a dog for pig hunting , it's called the Bull Arab , the mix is ; bull terrier, and , gsp, EP , grey hound, seluki, to name a few, it is the best pig dog bar none!

Cheers

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 am

JKP,

When did you do this survey on which you want to bet? The one that shows definitively that 95% of hunters want a specific dog type. Including those that regularly post here, I don't think I know a 100 hunters.

It might prove illuminating for you to view a DVD of the National Championship, particularly footage of a relocation. It will shows how these dogs might be useful for a foot hunter. You can keep them as close as you might desire. I have sit astride my horse while a soon to be National Champion spent 10+ minutes no more than 75 yards from his handler.

It is easy to judge what you have never observed.

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:22 am

I have sit astride my horse while a soon to be National Champion spent 10+ minutes no more than 75 yards from his handler.
10 minutes, you say?? Well, I guess that's proof enough...that dog's a foot hunting dog, no doubt about it!! :lol: Proves the point for me....and how many dogs had to be located with the tracking collar??

So when my Euro mutt spends 10 minutes 500 yds away, I guess that makes him an NC dog. :wink:
particularly footage of a relocation
Super!! Yes I know what a relocation looks like ,,, if your dog doesn't relocate on running phez and try to pin them down, its a second class dog. Only I want the dog to relocate on its own and get that bird to hunker down, not wait while the bird runs 200 yds. But then again, that would be a hunting dog :!:

Look I'm egging you on here....sorry for that...all I said is that trialing at the extreme is just that and less about a breed or standard ... its a self perpetuating race to be faster, farther and better. At the extreme, it has to be questioned as much as the show dogs.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:56 am

Thank goodness for field trial pointers and the genetics they pass on. I don't know a ton of hunters personally, but everyone I know prefers their HUNTING dog has some CH in their pedigree. I have a pretty good idea what qualities I'll get from a field trial pup. I'm not saying pointers without field trial ancestors are not the same caliber of bird dog, just saying MY choice of pup will always come from field trial stock.

Steve

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:21 am

JKP wrote:
I have sit astride my horse while a soon to be National Champion spent 10+ minutes no more than 75 yards from his handler.
10 minutes, you say?? Well, I guess that's proof enough...that dog's a foot hunting dog, no doubt about it!! :lol: Proves the point for me....and how many dogs had to be located with the tracking collar??

So when my Euro mutt spends 10 minutes 500 yds away, I guess that makes him an NC dog. :wink:
particularly footage of a relocation
Super!! Yes I know what a relocation looks like ,,, if your dog doesn't relocate on running phez and try to pin them down, its a second class dog. Only I want the dog to relocate on its own and get that bird to hunker down, not wait while the bird runs 200 yds. But then again, that would be a hunting dog :!:

Look I'm egging you on here....sorry for that...all I said is that trialing at the extreme is just that and less about a breed or standard ... its a self perpetuating race to be faster, farther and better. At the extreme, it has to be questioned as much as the show dogs.

JKP -

I know you are deliberately fueling the fire, and that is fine, but there is one thing that really needs to be plainly said in the context of this discussion. Steve alluded to it above, but I think it needs to be said plainly. The dogs that win field trials, especially those who win AF open All Age trials are a VERY select few of the hundreds, no thousands of dogs bred in any given year. THEY are the breeding stock for future generations of both field and trial dogs.

WHY?? Because it is incredibly difficult to even duplicate such dogs , much less increase their abilities in their offspring. It simply does not work that way.

Genetics of the group, and a litter of pups is a group, tend toward the average, of the sire's genes and the dam's genes. So even if the sire was a horizon buster and the dam was a horizon buster, and each was THE exceptional dog in their respective litters, the drag of genetics would dictate that at least some of the pups in such a special mating...would NOT be horizon busters.

In practice, MOST of the pups in such a mating would NOT be horizon busters with similar talents as their parents. The bulk of the litter would tend toward the average of their parents, grandparents and great grandparents litters and littermates.

As to your other observation, I am also very firmly convinced that most folks who hunt with bird dogs don't WANT to see their dogs. It is that they HAVE to see their dogs...because they do not trust them to be out of their sight.

A significant percentage of hunters also care less about the dogwork than they do a full gamebag, so they want the dog close to be able to have a shooting opportunity, even if the dog does not handle the bird correctly. That is fine for them, but it does almost nothing toward the betterment of the breed, IMO.

It is not the dog that has the problem...it is the human. In both cases. In the first instance, the dog is not afraid to go out of sight of its human in search of game...it is the other way 'round. In the second instance, it is not the dog's fault that it the dog may not have been thoroughly enough trained to stand its birds until flushed. It is the human's fault.

Field trials PROVE that, time and time again. Dogs can go into the next zip code in search of game...and still find their way back to their handler...or stand there, on point, for as long as it takes the handler to find them and get there. In field trials they do just that, and more...ALL the time. Well at least the winning ones do. And nobody cares much about the ones that don't win. They don't get bred much.

As far as a new breed, I do believe that the pointer is continually re-inventing itself, in response to the changing hunting conditions and opportunities that present themselves. The ALL AGE dog of today, is most certainly a much different dog than it was, even fifty years ago. Fifty years ago, the all age dog had tens of thousands of acres to run on in virtually every part of the country and was hunted, for the most part, on wild quail and pheasant.

Both the open land and the game have disappeared in mush of the country today. In many areas of the country, the only readily available upland game is penraised, pre-released birds. The bird dogs of today have had to adapt to these changes. Some things have been lost or diminished in the process and other things have increased.

The availability of technology had forever changed how bird dogs are trained. The technology allows the trainer to easily accomplish things that were virtually impossible previously. Dogs with traits that succeed under this new technology have flourished and their genetics have been passed forward. Thus the dogs have adapted to these changes as well. Again, some things have been lost or diminished and some things have increased.

I am confident that the bird dogs of today will continue to change and adapt as conditions warrant.

Oh and one last thin...if you have a euro type dog that is ranging out to 500 yards, I am quite certain that there are breed wardens out there who would say that such a dog should be removed from the breeding population.

I am not one of them, but ...well you know. :lol: :lol:

RayG

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:35 pm

Arguing this with people that won't even view a DVD is like me arguing the finer points of cricket. Ignorance runs rampant.

There is a lot more to an All Age dog than mere range, but if a dog will hunt at 500 yards for 10 minutes it shows he might well do so for an hour.

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Ray,
First off, I will march in the streets to defend any competitive or testing format. My comments were about those that carry things to the extreme without regard for the unwanted side effects...like the show dogs with temperament problems, health concerns or questionable ability. From the number of dogs that are found, picked up or located by GPS, I think its fair to say that ever more range and independence has its downside too. Clearly FT has profited many breeds. Let's not forget, that the Pointer started out as the English Pointer and was considered to be a gentleman's walking shooting dog. From this standpoint, I would say that the Pointer (US version) should be delineated separately as it aspires to be a horseback dog, of different type and stature.
Genetics of the group, and a litter of pups is a group, tend toward the average, of the sire's genes and the dam's genes. So even if the sire was a horizon buster and the dam was a horizon buster, and each was the exceptional dog in their respective litters, the drag of genetics would dictate that at least some of the pups in such a special mating...would NOT be horizon busters.
Yes...I took Biology 101.
as to your other observation, I am also very firmly convinced that most folks who hunt with bird dogs don't WANT to see their dogs. It is that they HAVE to see their dogs...because they do not trust them to be out of their sight
Bunk...many grew up hunting seeing their dogs....they are comfortable that way...they enjoy that style of hunting. Where on the eastern seaboard can I let a dog hunt 500-1000 yds to the front. Sorry Ray....but this smacks of
snobbery to me. East of the Mississippi, just how far do you think most hunters can even let their dogs go??
A significant percentage of hunters also care less about the dogwork than they do a full gamebag, so they want the dog close to be able to have a shooting opportunity, even if the dog does not handle the bird correctly.
True...there are a lot of "shooters" out there. But please don't tell me the 100,000+ versatile guys out there are all "slobs" afraid to see their dogs over the hill. It just ain't so.
Field trials PROVE that, time and time again. Dogs can go into the next zip code in search of game...and still find their way back to their handler...or stand there, on point, for as long as it takes the handler to find them and get there. In field trials they do just that...ALL the time, well at least the winning ones do. And nobody cares much about the ones that don't win. They don't get bred much.
What % of hunters do you think even care about the next zip code?? This is the extreme I was talking about. My dogs and the dogs of many others prove you don't need 1000 yd dogs to get 300 yd dogs...its a fallacy that the FT culture hangs it's hat on. You need desire and independence, cooperation and manners....and you don't need 1000 yd dogs to get it. You will get some dogs that are too independent that owners will grapple with...but we have the new Garmin collars to deal with that. :wink: I guess my question would be ... after breeding the best to the best we still have 20-30% of the top dogs in the nation needing to be located by satellite...where are we going???
As far as a new breed, I do believe that the pointer is continually re-inventing itself, in response to the changing hunting conditions and opportunities that present themselves.
So are they bigger running today than 50 years ago?? Would that mean that the open, huntable expanses are growing??...or that GPS makes the four legged drone possible??? :wink:
Oh and one last thin...if you have a euro type dog that is ranging out to 500 yards, I am quite certain that there are breed wardens out there who would say that such a dog should be removed from the breeding population.
Again you show your sheltered and biased background. Go talk with the chukar guys out west about their "bootlicking" Euro mutts :wink: :wink:

I'm not convinced that breeding the extremes improves the averages. I see nothing wrong with it and if a lot of folks enjoy it, why not. You don't need a horse and 10,000 acres to identify desire and independence...its just one way to do it. Years ago, I saw one of my litters run at an NA test....the farm we were at was too small for all of them...Euro mutts...who knew??? :lol: I'd post a pic of my 11 year old Euro mutt in ND headed to a ridge 4-500 yds away, but I don't want to bore folks...straight out of pig and rabbit dogs :wink:

But back to the original question...which the many comments seem to make clear...the designs for the Pointer are much different here in the US. A much bigger running, faster, smaller dog has been prioritized. I think a good indication would be that no one here seems to have any interest in Pointers elsewhere in the world. How many have even researched what goes on in the Pointer world in other countries?? That would tell me that folks see the breed as different.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Fun dog wrote:
Wyndancer wrote:I wonder if any of the top level sled dog teams run purebreds? Or, as I think, they are concerned about one thing...performance, get the sled to the finish before anybody else. But I guess the flip side is...they aren't restrained by a registry either.
I can answer this. The top level sled dog people run what's called the Alaskan Husky. We don't care what color it is, how long it's tail is, if it has blue, brown, or a mix of eyes. We don't care if it's ears stand up or hang down. We solely look for performance. A desire to pull, good feet, good coat and a voracious appetite. And yet the dog still has a look about it that says Alaskan Husky. The Alaskan husky is basically a mutt with a very long pedigree. ...
I saw some that were wintering in NV a few weeks back -- some more endurance Huskies and some more on the Eurohound side. Just beautiful dogs.

As regards show-oriented breeding, with popular breeds the only one I can think of off the top of my head that still seem functional in some ways are poodles. Standard poodles even at the local dog run seem to be, generally, dogs I'd enjoy owning. Not that I have that much knowledge or background relative to some, or to many on here. But, German Shepherds -- the show dogs aren't even athletic anymore, and seem to often be head cases with anxiety issues. American Cockers...Bernese Mountain Dogs...Great Danes...Springer Spaniels with "spaniel rage."

Given all that, for any dog intended to be functional, having conformation contests for the breed just seems like it is a clear hazard. If I'm right that poodles overall were kept fairly sound, even if with a coat with issues, it would also be interesting to see how they did it without it really having been a field or working breed for a long time.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:40 pm

JKP wrote:Ray,
First off, I will march in the streets to defend any competitive or testing format. My comments were about those that carry things to the extreme without regard for the unwanted side effects...like the show dogs with temperament problems, health concerns or questionable ability. From the number of dogs that are found, picked up or located by GPS, I think its fair to say that ever more range and independence has its downside too. Clearly FT has profited many breeds. Let's not forget, that the Pointer started out as the English Pointer and was considered to be a gentleman's walking shooting dog. From this standpoint, I would say that the Pointer (US version) should be delineated separately as it aspires to be a horseback dog, of different type and stature.
Genetics of the group, and a litter of pups is a group, tend toward the average, of the sire's genes and the dam's genes. So even if the sire was a horizon buster and the dam was a horizon buster, and each was the exceptional dog in their respective litters, the drag of genetics would dictate that at least some of the pups in such a special mating...would NOT be horizon busters.
Yes...I took Biology 101.
as to your other observation, I am also very firmly convinced that most folks who hunt with bird dogs don't WANT to see their dogs. It is that they HAVE to see their dogs...because they do not trust them to be out of their sight
Bunk...many grew up hunting seeing their dogs....they are comfortable that way...they enjoy that style of hunting. Where on the eastern seaboard can I let a dog hunt 500-1000 yds to the front. Sorry Ray....but this smacks of
snobbery to me. East of the Mississippi, just how far do you think most hunters can even let their dogs go??
A significant percentage of hunters also care less about the dogwork than they do a full gamebag, so they want the dog close to be able to have a shooting opportunity, even if the dog does not handle the bird correctly.
True...there are a lot of "shooters" out there. But please don't tell me the 100,000+ versatile guys out there are all "slobs" afraid to see their dogs over the hill. It just ain't so.
Field trials PROVE that, time and time again. Dogs can go into the next zip code in search of game...and still find their way back to their handler...or stand there, on point, for as long as it takes the handler to find them and get there. In field trials they do just that...ALL the time, well at least the winning ones do. And nobody cares much about the ones that don't win. They don't get bred much.
What % of hunters do you think even care about the next zip code?? This is the extreme I was talking about. My dogs and the dogs of many others prove you don't need 1000 yd dogs to get 300 yd dogs...its a fallacy that the FT culture hangs it's hat on. You need desire and independence, cooperation and manners....and you don't need 1000 yd dogs to get it. You will get some dogs that are too independent that owners will grapple with...but we have the new Garmin collars to deal with that. :wink: I guess my question would be ... after breeding the best to the best we still have 20-30% of the top dogs in the nation needing to be located by satellite...where are we going???
As far as a new breed, I do believe that the pointer is continually re-inventing itself, in response to the changing hunting conditions and opportunities that present themselves.
So are they bigger running today than 50 years ago?? Would that mean that the open, huntable expanses are growing??...or that GPS makes the four legged drone possible??? :wink:
Again you show your sheltered and biased background. Go talk with the chukar guys out west about their "bootlicking" Euro mutts :wink: :wink:

I'm not convinced that breeding the extremes improves the averages. I see nothing wrong with it and if a lot of folks enjoy it, why not. You don't need a horse and 10,000 acres to identify desire and independence...its just one way to do it. Years ago, I saw one of my litters run at an NA test....the farm we were at was too small for all of them...Euro mutts...who knew??? :lol: I'd post a pic of my 11 year old Euro mutt in ND headed to a ridge 4-500 yds away, but I don't want to bore folks...straight out of pig and rabbit dogs :wink:

But back to the original question...which the many comments seem to make clear...the designs for the Pointer are much different here in the US. A much bigger running, faster, smaller dog has been prioritized. I think a good indication would be that no one here seems to have any interest in Pointers elsewhere in the world. How many have even researched what goes on in the Pointer world in other countries?? That would tell me that folks see the breed as different.

Lets see - I'll try to take you comments in order.

First off, I don't know if letting you defend field trialing is a real good idea.

Most of the places I used to hunt in NJ were chock full of hunters who were ten steps behind their dogs and who shot at anything that flew, regardless of what the dog did. The one place where that was generally NOT true was Greenwood Forest WMA / Since the place was stocked with quail, exclusively, the average hunter there was hunting behind a pointing breed that was actually expected to point and hold. And yes...down there and in a few other places, it was not only possible, but fairly common to see(and hear) a dog at the edge of beeper range which is about 400 yards.

There are a whole lot of folks for whom the full game bag is the more important thing. There was a time when I myself measured the success of a hunt by the weight of the gamebag. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that then for me or now for someone else, and I would never consider that hunter a "slob". I do in fact resent any inference in that regard.

It is irrelevant how many hunters(or trialers for that matter) actually care about dogs that can run into the next zip code. It is also actually irrelevant to the hunter how far the trial dog can range out...because most often, the trial dog will have far more range than the hunter needs. What IS relevant and what I care about are the ones who do that... AND COME BACK. I think the majority of trailers and those hunters who are interested in hunting with a staunch or steady dog are also interested in the ones that COME BACK also.

I am of the opinion that if a dog will consistently come back from the next zip code, pups out of that dog can reasonably be expected to come back from 100-300 yards. THAT is the thing that would matter to me if I were a hunter.

I believe the All Age dog of today exhibits nowhere near the range of the top dogs of fifty or more years ago. I believe the horseback shooting dog often DOES exhibit more range than shooting dogs of fifty years ago. I believe that in some venues, it is darn near impossible to tell which is the true all age dog and which is a big running shooting dog.

You can post pics of your dogs anytime. I personally enjoy all kinds of dogs doing what they do best. One of the things I truly enjoy is to judge an AKC trial, simply because of the variety of nice dogs that I get to watch do their thing. They all do it a little different, but it is all good.

If you are not convinced that breeding to the extremes improves the averages, then I am afraid you were asleep during parts of that biology 101 class. There are three basic ways to improve the average. One is by linebreeding for increased consistency and the second is by breeding outstanding individuals. the third is to take an outstanding individual and breed it back to a linebred dog, in the hopes of getting both increased abilities AND consistency within the offspring.

There is absolutely no question that the pointer in the USA is a different dog, in many ways, than the pointer in Europe. Different terrain, different birds, different expectations...different dogs. So what? I for one do not rough shoot in Scotland or course in Germany. My dogs don't run for fifteen minutes in a trial and they don't drop on point when the bird flushes. Different strokes for different folks.

FWIW, the field trial pointer in Europe is expected to go full bore for their entire brace without slowing down to actually hunt...or so I am told. That type of performance would not excite me anymore than watching a greyhound race. As I have said...to each their own and everyone should enjoy their sport as they choose.

RayG

RayG

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 am

FWIW, the field trial pointer in Europe is expected to go full bore for their entire brace without slowing down to actually hunt...or so I am told. That type of performance would not excite me anymore than watching a greyhound race. As I have said...to each their own and everyone should enjoy their sport as they choose.

RayG

RayG[/quote]

Geez Ray!, that's what you been told! LOL
Mate, there's a world outside the US of A Champ!
But anyway let's just move on ... Yeah?

Cheers

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:15 am

A while back had this little pointer bitch, used to range out well over 8- 900 metres, used to carry a set of binos with me just so I can see where she's at,had no problems with her holding quail till I got there to command her to flush, but what used to piss me off was while I was walking to her I'd bump a few quail on way!didnt enjoy hunting with her one bit
So for me I'd prefer a closer working dog

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:07 am

This thread is full of more misinformation than Provada.

We have been exporting our field trial dogs since the 1800's, they are prized thoughout the world. We have a trade surplus in terms of dollars, if not numbers.

If you want to keep a dog close, you are much beter off with a flushing dog. The purpose of a pointing dog is to find birds you wouldn't walk up without them.

A good dog is a good dog throughout the US and the rest of the world.

What some yell as fact does not make it more true.

Made in America has importance in most everything of value, including pointers.

Our winning All Age dogs are cooperative and obedient.

You cannot learn about any subject without experienceing it.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:14 am

Quailcommando wrote:And in this you are plainly saying you dial down a trial dog to hunt , Not push a hunting bred dog for range to trial.
Because it is actually possible to "pull a dog in" that has big range.
Where as, it is not possible to "push a dog out" that doesn't possess big range to begin with.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:32 pm

I've never dialed any of my dogs down, if they have half a brain they know when to dial it down. Its automatic. They know when they are in a trial or hunting big ground.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:33 pm

The less I talk to my drones the better they handle. Somehow they stay with me, and I rarely walk up a bird from the ground.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Drones lol. I kinda like that.

My drone keeps in contact when we are hunting off foot also and only acts like a drone when it's appropriate.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:42 pm

If I walk up birds, we are going to have an intense conversation.