Dog release from traps

fishvik

Dog release from traps

Post by fishvik » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:01 am

This is a real good tutorial put out by Idaho Fish and Game on how to release a dog from various types of animal traps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4TE47KAPyA&authuser=0

Bounty_Hunter

Re: Dog release from traps

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:57 pm

Good video, but I don't believe any average size hunting dog would survive one of those big conibear traps.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:14 pm

If you have a chance to go to a big outdoor show where they have a trapping booth, be NICE to the guys (they get lots of crazies),tell them you're a bird hunter and they'll show you how to release your dog with real traps as demonstrations. Then you can practice with real traps.

Better than a video.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:31 pm

I used to trap and used all of the above traps with the exception of the cable snare and those conibears are real killers. The leg hold weren't too bad and we let dogs out with little problems but I always felt sorry for rabbits that I would find in them as their legs would be missing the fur and exposing skin and bone. I never knew what made them go near those traps with fox urine around the set. The worst was when you got a skunk. That's one trap that wasn't getting used any time soon. I think I liked setting for muskrats the best. Easy and lots of fun.