AMES AMATEUR

Neil
GDF Junkie

AMES AMATEUR

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:08 am

:wink: Many do not seem to be aware that there are other trials held at Ames besides the National Championship, including the AKC Gun Dog Championship one year.

Thought I would share a couple stories about the Ames Amateur.

1. I had a nice young Derby that was showing some promise (he went on to become the Dual Dog of the Central Futurity), so I only roaded him for the month prior, never letting him off lead - I had him ready. Earl Connolly agreed to scout for me, I told him that the dog might be a bit keyed up. We drew the first brace of the morning course, it goes straight out and makes a left turn to cross the road. My dog broke away to take the right edge out of sight, I couldn't send Earl until we made the turn. Sure enough the dog showed far to the front, later Earl returned to the gallery with a well lathered horse. The course surpentined a bit before making a right and giving me a chance to send Earl. At near time Earl joined us with a staggering horse, saying, "You either need to get that dog a little less keyed up or I am going to need a faster horse. I have only seen him twice since the breakaway and I could catch him the second time." I replied, "That is noe more time than the judges saw him". The Tracker showed him on a neighboring plantation riding in the manager's truck. Showing a dog has to handle to win.

2. Ken Blackman (Who was insturmental in gaining AKC access to Ames) was running his Tank dog in the All-Age; he had 3 finfs in less than 15 minutes, but was recovering from an illness and didn't finish his hour. Right after the third time Tank had birds, Gary Lester left the gallery with Snowwatch in the harness, saying, "I ought to stay and let this little Britt show my knucklehead where the birds are, but I got busness down the road".

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: AMES AMATEUR

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:02 pm

That is too funny.

Story I heard at one of our Championships about an "out of sight" dog. Apparently the dog went into town ( not far away), a taxi driver brought him back to the trial and dropped the dog off at the end of the course road. When the judges rounded the bend , there was the dog on point/ taxi gone.