Extreme Cold and GSP ear/eye issues

ElkMtnGSP

Extreme Cold and GSP ear/eye issues

Post by ElkMtnGSP » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Currently we are located in Central Vermont. We are big time winter people.

100 days plus skiing, cross country skiing, long distance trail running (20+ mile runs are the norm), and hunting.

The GSP pup, Loosa, who is 8 months old, comes out with us on most if not all outings. Some are for an hour but others can obviously last for several. Temperatures since December have averaged around 15 degrees. Several days and nights are obviously well below zero(F) without windchill.

Yes we do have her wear an insulated coat and sled dog booties as well as feed her significantly high protein and fat content food.

Problems have arisen with the pup on her

ears; the tips have become a bit scabby and recently have began to bleed.
eyes; looks as if they are constantly irritated, red in corners and when looking side to side (treated for conguntivitis, aided in discharge removal but not redness)

We're not sure if this is all cold related, humidity related, or something else...(allergies, food related, etc...)

Any suggestions for remedies, prevention, etc.

Thanks for this great resource as well.

Elkhunter

Re: Extreme Cold and GSP ear/eye issues

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:45 am

My GSP's ears all get scabby and bleed in the winter. Same with my Pointers. I have heard blood flow is restricted and the end of the ear basically rots. They seem to get over it quick, and it comes and goes.

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:43 pm

Yes.. on the ears its basically frost bite .. if you put something on it that is moist, it will make it worse.. not sure about the eye, i would keep close watch on that one.

Senah

Post by Senah » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:25 am

We have a male who hunted to negative degrees for pheasant up until Christmas. He was getting frostbite on his scrotum and the vet recommended a layer of udder butter on it before taking him out. As for the eyes, since Montana is pretty dry, we spend some time with him each night where we clean out his ears, and put saline drops into his eyes. We also do a paw check and every 2 weeks or so we do his nails. This time is great to spend with him, and also means we've caught some health issues (even emergencies) because we know him well. Additionally, besides keeping him healthy and safe, the vet appreciates it - she said he is the most laid back dog she has ever seen when he goes in for checks or shots.

I'd try the drops in the eyes each night as well as the udder butter. If you are putting a vest on your dog, just make sure that it isn't weighted down with anything (repetitive motion and pressure on joints before 18 months can ruin a dog, per our vet who sees mainly gun dogs), and trim it so that it doesn't rub and irritate skin and joints. Having a GSP, we've noticed that many of the neoprene vests and chest shields are cut more for labs, and for our dog we had to do some major customization to avoid rubbing the skin raw.

ElkMtnGSP

Post by ElkMtnGSP » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:57 am

Thanks guys I figured it was associated to frostbite.

Im all up for protecting her from the elements but not trying to wrap her up like an eskimo.

I probably should have considered cold-weather tolerance a factor in a GSP, not something you think about when you pick a pup up in the searing Utah heat in August.