Film Clip

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Film Clip

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:17 am

I came across this film clip and liked it as it reminded me of the way in which I used to work a Brittany and two GSP's . The type of countryside was often much the same too. Hope you enjoy it. The dogs looked very well trained I thought, it takes a bit of doing to keep two dogs steady while sending a third dog for retrieves.

The dogs did a nice commanded flush following the points and were steady to flush, shot and fall of game. Very nice work I.M.O.

http://youtu.be/WNeeBDkPDPI

Bill T.

Soarer31

Re: Film Clip

Post by Soarer31 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:38 am

Great clip Bill
Controlling three dogs certainly takes some doing, how good is the flush on command !! Definitely beats walking in front and kicking around a specialty in that scrub

Cheers

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:04 am

What do the Europeans know about dogs? :lol:

Very common in Europe, especially Scandinavia. At brace trials, dogs are expected to point and back....lead dog to flush on command....sit on the flush....and retrieve on command....while the backing dog honors.

Wonder how that would work in the FDSB??

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 am

I always thought I would like my dogs to flush on command and stop to flush. My problem is if the dog points at a distance the bird would be out of range. Or do you follow the dog when you send him..........................Cj

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:44 am

Yes,
The dog would not rush in one go , but rather relocate then point two to three times depending on the distance, all you do is follow and encourage the dog to keep going till the flush, there's no need for the dog to sit on the flush as long as he doesn't move
I don't train my dog to sit , I like him to stand proud when his marking the fall of the bird

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:26 am

Soarer31 wrote: Definitely beats walking in front and kicking around a specialty in that scrub Cheers

It is much safer to have the dog behind you when flushing birds than running and jumping in front of a gun.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:29 am

That is one of the reasons that they stop on the flush.

Mike

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 am

Nice!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:46 am

Vision wrote:

It is much safer to have the dog behind you when flushing birds than running and jumping in front of a gun.
You can flush birds any way you like .... all I'd like to say is that in over 30 years of working HPR's I have never seen even one dog shot following it's flush to command.

Soarer is correct. The hunter or trainer moves in as the dog moves forward to flush if it looks likely from the dogs behaviour that the bird is either at a distance off or is running from the point. The dog may stop and restart it's forward movement several times before the bird flushes and when the dog stops , the hunter catches up to it. Some hunters prefer the dog to move in to long distance birds with the dog only a few feet forward of "heel position." Or they say they prefer that anyway ! :lol: I think that very often the real reason for that kind of work is that the dog has a tendency to be sticky on point. That is a fault on this side of the pond but it is very similar to what you actually train and encourage your dogs to do as you move forward to kick up the birds yourself.

Bill T.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Bill,

Thanks for sharing that...impressive dog work without mention of one's purpose and or differences in training. I enjoyed the break from work.

Joe

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:34 pm

Trekmoor wrote: The dogs looked very well trained I thought, it takes a bit of doing to keep two dogs steady while sending a third dog for retrieves.

The dogs did a nice commanded flush following the points and were steady to flush, shot and fall of game. Very nice work I.M.O.

http://youtu.be/WNeeBDkPDPI
Ta for that, Bill. Gotta love flushing on command - most emblematic of advanced training and even more so of consistent training.

MG

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Impressive work from very well trained dogs!!

Charlie

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:43 pm

Really cool, fun clip!! :mrgreen:

dogpawu

Post by dogpawu » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:28 am

Thank you for you clip. Very Efficetive train.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:47 am

Vision wrote: It is much safer to have the dog behind you when flushing birds than running and jumping in front of a gun.
How is it any different than someone who hunts a flushing breed? Those pointers sat on the flush.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:40 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:
Vision wrote: It is much safer to have the dog behind you when flushing birds than running and jumping in front of a gun.
How is it any different than someone who hunts a flushing breed? Those pointers sat on the flush.
Vision makes a good point. It is always safer for the dog to be behind the guns. However, dogs can flush game much more effectively than we can most of the time. As long as you don't take risky shots too close to the dog and those in your hunting party are instructed to do the same, all is well. It's those times when the gunners are not careful or aware of the dog's position that is of concern. As far as the flush is concerned I consider a natural flush and what was seen in the video differently. I don't really see a problem with the dogs either sitting or standing at the flush. It's a matter of personal preference and perceived style.

Nate

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 am

I think it is the man with the gun who makes a shot safe or unsafe, not the dog. I prefer dogs not to run in to flush but even if a dog does run-in it is surely up to the hunter not to shoot until he can clearly see he has a clear shot ? I would not go hunting with anyone who did not think the same thing.

Bill T.