Red Grouse on the Moors: Book Review

chiendog

Red Grouse on the Moors: Book Review

Post by chiendog » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:00 am

I love books. A lot.  In fact, calling me a 'bibliophile' probably isn't enough. I think I am a full-blown biblio-maniac! So in addition to writing (and writing about) my own books, I thought I should start writing about the books of others and start posting some reviews. And I'd like to start with a book that I haven't put down since it arrived in the mail last week.

Read the full review here: http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2014 ... nting.html

crackerd

Re: Red Grouse on the Moors: Book Review

Post by crackerd » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:36 am

chiendog wrote:...I'd like to start with a book that I haven't put down since it arrived in the mail last week.
So now you've got the taxonomy of the Glorious Twelfth down to the nth degree, Chien? Not to, er, put too fine a point on it, but you know many, many of 'em on the moors are peg dogs (i.e., Labs). :wink:

MG

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:41 am

I have read this book and thought it was superb. No training information and no big plugs for trainers or training methods or breeds or "lines" of dogs helped to make the book even better I.M.O. The photography is often outstanding and some of the photographs it contains were donated to the author by the owners of the dogs in it.

Labs ? On a grouse moor Mike ? That is almost sacrilegious ! :lol:

Bill T.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 am

Bill, you know I'm a heretic to the cause, unless'n Archbishop Derry Argue reconverts me!

MG

PS If you know some of the dogs "enshrined" in the book's pages, please share some commentary on how good and how stylish they (and their handlers) are. Pretty please.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:06 pm

I do know 2 or 3 of the handlers , all ladies, but don't feel entitled to pass on info about them or their dogs without their permission, sorry Mike.

One of those ladies joined this forum a couple of years back and posted in one or two very good pics of her dog working on grouse , I think one of her pics is included in this book. She hasn't posted here for quite a while now , don't know why.

Bill T.