Question about pointers

cwa1104sab

Question about pointers

Post by cwa1104sab » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:01 pm

I had a quick question about pointers. I'm a "lab guy" but more and more I'm thinking of getting a pointer. I have what I think is a silly question and there may not be any real answer. Is there a way to tell how the pups will point...head high or head low, by how the parents point or is it just something the pups come into on their own ? Thanks I'm just curious

Sab

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Question about pointers

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:05 pm

Parents are a good indication. That said any of todays well bred FDSB pointers are going to point high on both ends for the most part.

cwa1104sab

Post by cwa1104sab » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm really falling in love with the English setters, and I've seen some real well bred dogs. very impressive

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:16 pm

I'm a setter person. Beautiful dog in all ways.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:04 am

I was a lab guy and elbow dysplasia lameness onset with the lab forced me to look into another dog. I'm in the southwest and heat is an issue. I narrowed it down to GSPs and Pointers. I went with a pointer purely on the word of Hickox. I had never seen one hunt. "bleep" scary to go from a 30 yard ranging dog to a 500+ yard energizer bunny with a jet pack.

If you're looking for a well bred setter pup, one from Bo would be about as good as you could take a chance on.
https://www.georgehickox.com/george_hic ... tters.html

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:13 am

cwa1104sab wrote:I had a quick question about pointers. I'm a "lab guy" but more and more I'm thinking of getting a pointer. I have what I think is a silly question and there may not be any real answer. Is there a way to tell how the pups will point...head high or head low, by how the parents point or is it just something the pups come into on their own ? Thanks I'm just curious

Sab
cwa1104sab wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, I'm really falling in love with the English setters, and I've seen some real well bred dogs. very impressive
Are you talking "Pointers" or pointing breeds, such as a Setter. A Pointer is Pointer, that's its name, Pointer. A Setter, Brittany, Shorthair, Spinone, whatever are NOT Pointers. They are a breed that points. Very common mistake, no worries, you'll see it here a lot from the newer folks.
So back to the original question..... Are you asking about Pointers or Setters? Because if your talking Setters you need to look at the right type of lines to get that high head and tail you desire, and then be lucky. Setters vary probably more then any other "Pointing" breed. Llews, Rymans, Field, etc.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:20 am

roaniecowpony wrote:If you're looking for a well bred setter pup, one from Bo would be about as good as you could take a chance on.

Think about what your suggesting here pony. Your recommending a lab guy to spend 4x the amount of money for a pup by an All Age dog because................... He won the last 2 National Championships????? And why would a Bo pup be as good as you could get, he hasn't produced anything yet. Having bred 70+ bitches this last year, I'm sure he will, but let's not put the cart before the horse. Many many many fine Setters out there that will make most anybody happy and cost $400-$600 instead of $2,000

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:02 am

hustonmc wrote:Many many many fine Setters out there that will make most anybody happy and cost $400-$600 instead of $2,000
Even though I like Bo and look forward to seeing what he has thrown I agree with that point. I have 2 setters now that are high on both ends...they have the same grand daddy - Grouse Feather Mark

7 month old:

Shooting Dog:

"Typically" the Pointers and Setters will point with a higher front/back end than the versatile breeds - I said typically - NOT always. I believe it is because they air/wind scent more as they are running where as the GSP, GWPs, etc. are great on ground scent and tracking...thus that is where they stop once they point. JMO

cwa1104sab

Post by cwa1104sab » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:56 am

Hustonmc sorry bout that lemme clear it up. Im thinking about setters. As far as who breeds them etc it seems to me from following this site for a while I just became interested in a a dog that points and I just love the way the setters look plus I would like a closer in dog. Being that I've been a lab guy my whole life everything I've learned about pointers and the pointing breeds I've learned from sites such as these. I can tell you its actually a little intimitating to break away from what you know and are comfortable with and try a new breed but at this stage of my life I do more upland hunting than ducks now. I also am not looking for a dog right now since my lab is still in excellent health but probably in a few years. Also I dont need a perfect dog. I just like having a dog to enhance the hunting experience. He or she would also live in the house with me. Hope that helps set it strIght guys. Thanks again

Sab

GmanHawaii

Post by GmanHawaii » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:05 pm

Not to throw a wrench in here but I have a couple of buddies that have Mustalanders very good hunters/pointers, style is like a cross between my GSP and a setter. Very nice family/companion dogs when not in the field.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Sab,
Good luck in your search for a pointing breed. What birds do you hunt?Will you be training the dog yourself? If you do, there is a tremendous sense of pride involved when Its finished. With that being said I strongly encourage you to visit prospective breeders watch them train , see their dogs and then make your decision. It will be a couple of years before the dog (from a puppy) is finished. If I were you I'd join a pointing dog club, and get a step by step detailed training program before you begin your protege. Like everything else you get out what you put in. Whatever pointing breed you choose best of luck hunting over them.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi Sab,

Since you're on Long Island, think about both range and ongoing exercise needs for whatever pup you do decide to go with. I have a fairly high energy pointer in a suburban setting in Nevada myself, and it works fine, but is a consideration. A more laid back dog can still have the pointing style you want.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Being in New York you should contact Grouse Ridge Kennels in New York. They are well know for quality English Setters.

http://grouseridgesetters.com/

Another website I like because it has links to several English Setter Kennel Websites is:

http://trialdog.blogspot.com/

I grew up with retriever and got a lab on my own before I got interested in pointing dogs. It took one English Setter at a cover dog trial to make me want to get one. I probably talked or emailed almost every one of the kennels on the website above before I decide on the breeder. Good luck if you decide to get a setter.

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:04 pm

cwa1104sab wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, I'm really falling in love with the English setters, and I've seen some real well bred dogs. very impressive
Have you seen them on a planted quail in a "backyard" setting, or have you seen them in an actual Hunting setting in the cover type and game bird you will be pursuing?

I remember seeing Millers Silver Ending years ago in the first scenario. That dog absolutely struck the most incredible awe inspiring point on that stinky quail, but I'd have no business buying a pup out of him based on just that alone.

I'd recommend you do more research to get a pup from the right breeding that encompasses more variables than just what you mentioned in your OP. Good luck.

cwa1104sab

Post by cwa1104sab » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:12 pm

Lemme see if I can answer all the questions....I never considered a mustlander, I don't know why, maybe just because no one ever suggested it, but I will look into it. I do plan on training the dog myself. I'm older now-kids are either in college or almost in college or out of school so there's no more running around. In fact I have so much free time on my hands that when I get home from work I go to my garage and carve decoys for an hour or two. I trained my labs, and when I was little I used to help my grandfather with his beagles so I know my way around dogs plenty. That being said, after doing my due diligence, if I don't dont think I can do the dog justice my ego isn't so big that Im against getting a trainer. That being said when I started looking into setters grouse ridge did jump up on my radar. I like the idea of a trainer, especially one that's close so I can access them often. As far as getting space to let the dog work and play-I have permits for the pine barrens here on Long Island. Theres like 4000 acres. The dog will be used for pheasant mostly since it's the only upland birds I hunt, however, I will probably be relocating in 3-4 years, around the same time my lab will be getting real old and the wife and I are looking at the Carolinas. I'm in no hurry and if a good dog comes along at the right price I'll take her/him...if not I can wait till I move. Thanks again for all the interest and suggestions. I do enjoy this site even though I don't post much. For me, if I'm not bow hunting, I'm bird hunting and I love bird hunting cause of the dogs.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:56 pm

cwa1104sab wrote:Lemme see if I can answer all the questions....I never considered a mustlander, I don't know why, maybe just because no one ever suggested it, but I will look into it. I do plan on training the dog myself. I'm older now-kids are either in college or almost in college or out of school so there's no more running around. In fact I have so much free time on my hands that when I get home from work I go to my garage and carve decoys for an hour or two. I trained my labs, and when I was little I used to help my grandfather with his beagles so I know my way around dogs plenty. That being said, after doing my due diligence, if I don't dont think I can do the dog justice my ego isn't so big that Im against getting a trainer. That being said when I started looking into setters grouse ridge did jump up on my radar. I like the idea of a trainer, especially one that's close so I can access them often. As far as getting space to let the dog work and play-I have permits for the pine barrens here on Long Island. Theres like 4000 acres. The dog will be used for pheasant mostly since it's the only upland birds I hunt, however, I will probably be relocating in 3-4 years, around the same time my lab will be getting real old and the wife and I are looking at the Carolinas. I'm in no hurry and if a good dog comes along at the right price I'll take her/him...if not I can wait till I move. Thanks again for all the interest and suggestions. I do enjoy this site even though I don't post much. For me, if I'm not bow hunting, I'm bird hunting and I love bird hunting cause of the dogs.
The setter will do whatever you want it to do. Retrieval of ducks included. Training for your needs just takes a dog with intelligence and a will to please. I have a few grouse ridge female's here and they're good dogs.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:13 pm

hustonmc wrote:
roaniecowpony wrote:If you're looking for a well bred setter pup, one from Bo would be about as good as you could take a chance on.

Think about what your suggesting here pony. Your recommending a lab guy to spend 4x the amount of money for a pup by an All Age dog because................... He won the last 2 National Championships????? And why would a Bo pup be as good as you could get, he hasn't produced anything yet. Having bred 70+ bitches this last year, I'm sure he will, but let's not put the cart before the horse. Many many many fine Setters out there that will make most anybody happy and cost $400-$600 instead of $2,000
How would we know if $1500 (or $2000 as you suggest) is a hardship or just 'a bit more' lunch money for someone? And if you read your post you said "as good as you could get", I said something else. :wink: