Injection to bring a female in.

jetjockey

Injection to bring a female in.

Post by jetjockey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:00 pm

Does anyone have any experience with bringing a female into season, that isn't in season? My female never comes into season when shes suppose to, and I want to get her bred this spring before she goes back to summer camp and the fall trials. I have about a two month window starting in mid April to get her bred, pups whelped, and then back in shape and ready to go for the fall trials.

dan v

Re: Injection to bring a female in.

Post by dan v » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:37 pm

Go to the cover dog site...they know.

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:54 pm

Be careful...I know there can be some unwanted side effects when you start trying to play with hormones. Don't know whether the follicles erupt normally when you push the cycle. I'd do some homework first.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:21 pm

Seems to me when she comes in is when she's supposed to; just doesn't fit within your desired timeline. Not all females have a definitive time between cycles; they could vary by a few weeks to a few months.

Bred, whelped and back in shape in about 2 months... whelping is 2 mos after breeding and then about 2 months of constant attention to the litter. Getting back in top shape could take a couple more months...

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:24 pm

jetjockey wrote:Does anyone have any experience with bringing a female into season, that isn't in season? My female never comes into season when shes suppose to, and I want to get her bred this spring before she goes back to summer camp and the fall trials. I have about a two month window starting in mid April to get her bred, pups whelped, and then back in shape and ready to go for the fall trials.
Your window is a bit small to get all that done. It will take at least 3 and1/2 months from the time she is bred to get her whelped and the pups weaned. How long to get in shape? Probably at least 5 months from when she comes into season until she is ready to go. You can keep her in pretty good shape during the pregnancy and lactation with a good exersize program and they recover quick

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:25 pm

I know the window is small, that's one of the reason I was asking.

I talked to a fertility vet about a product called Cabergoline, and she said she's had great results with it. Has anyone used it?

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:27 pm

SwitchGrassWPG wrote:Seems to me when she comes in is when she's supposed to; just doesn't fit within your desired timeline. Not all females have a definitive time between cycles; they could vary by a few weeks to a few months.

Bred, whelped and back in shape in about 2 months... whelping is 2 mos after breeding and then about 2 months of constant attention to the litter. Getting back in top shape could take a couple more months...
Or completely skip cycles, which isn't uncommon for bitches that are in shape..... Or even woman for that matter.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:34 pm

There is a shot that is normally used for sows. It is only 20-30% effective at getting bitch to ovulation.
There is Ovuplant that most reproductive vets suggest for dogs. It is about 75% effective at getting female to ovulate.
Both will bring female into season, but not always get them to ovulate.

For either, your dog must have 4 months since last heat cycle for all her hormone cycles to be complete. Then her body is basically just on hold till it decides to start her heat cycle.

So you can get her to start somewhat earlier, but not too much earlier.

Some go with stalling her heat cycle for awhile with cheque drops, but then you are playing another guessing/waiting game as to when she will come back into season.

You can Not do both stopping, then starting a heat cycle. Major problems with that.

I have tried both and each have their pros and cons and you haft to decide which will put her cycle within your time schedule.

As others have said if you keep her in shape through pregnancy with running and roading and even while feeding pups, you will get a head start on getting her back to trial shape.

One off the wall possibility is if there is another female that you can cycle along with her and you could put her pups on the surrogate mother.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:47 am

Oxytocin is used on sows i believe

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:29 am

I got tired of waiting on my bitch to come in and put her with another female in heat. About a week later in she came, coincidence? I think not.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:12 am

What Red says is true. My vet recommended the same thing and it worked for us (we were the one with the dog in heat and the friend wanted to breed her chessie - she came right in with our dog - cycles matched up quickly). Prolly wouldn't work for the OP as he has a specific time he wants her in heat and he may not have another female coming in when he wants this one to come in. I'm thinking a 2 month period isn't going to work at all for a pregnancy, raising pups and getting back into shape. That is more like a 5 month process in the best of all situations.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:44 pm

Sometimes it is just best to let mother nature do things in her time . As the saying goes " it's not nice to mess with mother nature "

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks guys. I've spoken with a couple reproductive vets and received pretty consistent advice. The two month period is to get her bred. Not whelped and weened. This is the bad thing about owning a female dog that also trials. Their timing isn't always consistent to what you need. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets produced.

SRB

Post by SRB » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:54 am

jetjockey wrote:I know the window is small, that's one of the reason I was asking.

I talked to a fertility vet about a product called Cabergoline, and she said she's had great results with it. Has anyone used it?
We have used cabergoline successfully 3 times out fo 4 attempts. I know a few other people that have used it and there results were similar. Just make sure you have the guidance of a vet that understands the proper dosages. As far as I know it only comes in a form/dosage meant for humans and has to be diluted for dogs. One other note, cabergoline is most effective with a dog that has a 7+ month cycle. It is not effective if you try to shorten the cycle much less than 6 months.

BTW ... Implants are more commen than cabergoline as far as I know. You may want to look into that option.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:09 pm

SRB wrote:
jetjockey wrote:I know the window is small, that's one of the reason I was asking.

We have used cabergoline successfully 3 times out fo 4 attempts. I know a few other people that have used it and there results were similar. Just make sure you have the guidance of a vet that understands the proper dosages. As far as I know it only comes in a form/dosage meant for humans and has to be diluted for dogs. One other note, cabergoline is most effective with a dog that has a 7+ month cycle. It is not effective if you try to shorten the cycle much less than 6 months.

BTW ... Implants are more commen than cabergoline as far as I know. You may want to look into that option.
The two vets Ive spoken with have gone away from the implant because from what they say, it only works on 2 out of 3 dogs. Thats not very good odds. They said cabergoline is much more consistent with much better results. I was also told that 4 months in the minimum time after the last cycle. The end of April will be 5 months since her last cycle.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:43 pm

jetjockey wrote:
SRB wrote:

The two vets Ive spoken with have gone away from the implant because from what they say, it only works on 2 out of 3 dogs. Thats not very good odds. They said cabergoline is much more consistent with much better results. I was also told that 4 months in the minimum time after the last cycle. The end of April will be 5 months since her last cycle.
Each vet has what they are familiar with.

The most popularly respected and well known Dr.Hutchinson uses Ovuplant on almost all his females to bring them in season. That is the same as two of the top repro vets in Dallas use.

The use of Cabergoline is used for two totally different processes in getting dogs to cycle, and also by causing pregnant dogs to re-cycle to abort their litter.
I have used Cabergoline for both of these purposes and neither worked for me.

Have tried 3 times with Cabergoline and never had a successful ovulation. They may look like they are in heat, but they never ovulate. Only way to tell is progesterone tests.
I have gone back to Old Mother Nature after spending way too much $$ and only occasionally getting pups with these experiments.

Best of luck in which ever way you go. Each dog has their own way of going through their cycle.