Garmin Oregon 650T vs Garmin Alpha

rlrobinhood

Garmin Oregon 650T vs Garmin Alpha

Post by rlrobinhood » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi all,

I don't know a lot about GPS units, but decided awhile back I was going to buy one for a backpacking trip I wanted to go on. I do a lot of backpacking, but never really had a need for a GPS. But, I decided last summer I wanted to hike to a spot I found on Google Earth. There are no trails or anything that go to this spot, so I figured I better get a GPS unit so I could lay out a path to this spot that would take into account terrain and elevation changes to make it easier on me. From what I found, it seemed the Oregon 650T was about the right unit for this and anything else down the road. But, I have yet to pull the trigger.

Now, I have a new Brittany pup. My old TT collar is on its last leg. And, I have been reading up on the Alpha as it may be the best of both worlds (I always take my dogs backpacking with me). There is a lot of info out there on the Alpha and its e-collar capabilities and challenges. What I'm wondering about is more the backpacking GPS portion of this unit. How does it compare to the Oregon 650T? Does it do everything a backpacking GPS does except it also has the e-collar component?

Garmin describes it as a fully functioning GPS unit, but I don't know what that really means or how it compares to the Oregon 650T. I emailed Garmin 2-weeks ago with similar questions, but they never responded..... Any GPS experts out there that could help me out?

Thanks.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Not sure about the alpha but I do know the astro is a great stand alone gps unit with dog tracking too. I'm at this point against having the gps, tracking unit and e collar all together on one unit, but that's my personal issue, not a knock on the alpha.

HUNT 24/7

Re: Garmin Oregon 650T vs Garmin Alpha

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:48 pm

Although I can't comment on the Oregon 650T, I can say that the Alpha makes a great gps, what features are you wondering about exactly? I do a lot of hiking/backpacking
as well, it does enough for me!

rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:19 pm

HUNT 24/7 wrote:Although I can't comment on the Oregon 650T, I can say that the Alpha makes a great gps, what features are you wondering about exactly? I do a lot of hiking/backpacking
At this point, I'm not sure what features I want as I've never used a GPS while hiking before. But, I off the top of my head, I definitely want to be able to set waypoints to I can set a path to the destination I was talking about without going straight up a mountain. I thought it would be best to set waypoints to better navigate around the mountain and not have crazy elevation changes. In addition, compass, "birdseye aerial imagery", a feature that shows the elevation gain/loss graph, etc.

What type (distance/terrain) hiking do you normally do? What features do you like the most? How long does your battery last with the Alpha? Have you found the Alpha to be a good or excellent gps/e-collar? Would you go this route again?

Thanks a million.

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:34 am

rlrobinhood wrote:
HUNT 24/7 wrote:Although I can't comment on the Oregon 650T, I can say that the Alpha makes a great gps, what features are you wondering about exactly? I do a lot of hiking/backpacking
At this point, I'm not sure what features I want as I've never used a GPS while hiking before. But, I off the top of my head, I definitely want to be able to set waypoints to I can set a path to the destination I was talking about without going straight up a mountain. I thought it would be best to set waypoints to better navigate around the mountain and not have crazy elevation changes. In addition, compass, "birdseye aerial imagery", a feature that shows the elevation gain/loss graph, etc.

What type (distance/terrain) hiking do you normally do? What features do you like the most? How long does your battery last with the Alpha? Have you found the Alpha to be a good or excellent gps/e-collar? Would you go this route again?

Thanks a million.

Yes you can set multiple waypoints
It does have a route planner where you can set your route you want to travel.
It does have a compass.
It is compatible with Birdseye satellite imagery, that has a yearly subscription I believe, around $30 I think.
It does have an elevation plot.

I do a lot of different types of hiking, I snowshoe usually 2-3 times a week, these can be anywhere from short 1 hour trips to full day hunts or outings. This is mostly in the woods on rolling terrain, nothing crazy.
I also use it when I go backcountry snowboarding, anywhere from day trips, to 2-3 day trips. Backpack everything in to base camp, snowshoe up the mountain, snowboard back down. The terrain here can get pretty rugged, very steep avalanche country.
Summer I tramp the same rolling hill woods, sometimes an hour, sometimes 2-3 day hike in fishing trips.
Also do some decent mountain hiking, not going to say climbing because I'm not actually rock climbing or anything, I live on the east coast so none of the mountains I hike get over 5,200 feet in elevation.

I honestly don't use many of the features other than marking waypoints, compass some & just using the map along with my eyes on the terrain in front of me for general direction of travel. I have Backwoods map for my region, this is the map I use most as a lot of backwoods roads & some trails are marked.
If i'm heading into unfamiliar country I haven't been to I use a combination of my GPS, screen shots of satellite imagery on my phone & an app on my phone called Scenic Map Eastern Canada, it doesn't require WiFi or even cell service. The combination of those 3 things has kept me on track & safe so far.

Not sure how long before the battery actually goes dead, but it will run all day no problem. When I'm backpacking/camping out, I use a solar panel & rechargeable power cell to charge my electronics & the end of the day.

I guess I can't comment if it is an excellent GPS as I don't use all of the features, but I really do like it.
The e-collar is just there for backup if the dog needs a correction, I don't find it hard to run at all but I do have a Dogtra 2,500 that I use for training sessions rather than the Garmin, but I feel it would work just fine for training sessions only, some others will argue this.

I love it & have no regrets with the Alpha, I'd but it again 100%

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:53 am

If you want to get the most from your GPS, get a 1:24000 topo chip for it, not the 1:100,000. Just like having a complete set of topo maps with you. With the chip you can see exactly where you are, where you want to go, what may be in your way and how to get around it. You can mark hundreds of way points on it easily. Only think I ever mark is my truck, camp and a downed animal. With the advent of the topo chips it's changed how gps units are used a lot.

I can't recommend them enough. It's a whole different world with one. I have a Garmin Etrex and an Astro. I don't even use the Etrex anymmore, just carry is as a back up incase my Astro mal-functions.

Nice thing about the new Garmin GPS units is that on the upper units, Montana and Oregon, they have built in cameras so you no longer have to carry a camera. Just a lot of batteries.

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:10 am

gonehuntin' wrote:If you want to get the most from your GPS, get a 1:24000 topo chip for it, not the 1:100,000. Just like having a complete set of topo maps with you. With the chip you can see exactly where you are, where you want to go, what may be in your way and how to get around it. You can mark hundreds of way points on it easily. Only think I ever mark is my truck, camp and a downed animal. With the advent of the topo chips it's changed how gps units are used a lot.

I can't recommend them enough. It's a whole different world with one. I have a Garmin Etrex and an Astro. I don't even use the Etrex anymmore, just carry is as a back up incase my Astro mal-functions.

Nice thing about the new Garmin GPS units is that on the upper units, Montana and Oregon, they have built in cameras so you no longer have to carry a camera. Just a lot of batteries.

That's awesome! I'll be looking into that

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:12 am

If you have an android smartphone check out the backcountry navigator app. It basically turns you phone into a GPS unit. Since I found this app I haven't touched my eTrex (I actually just sold it on eBay). I couldn't say if it has all the functionality of today's GPS units but it might have everything you're looking for and its only $10.

I, too, like having my e collar and GPS collar as separate units. I use the Astro and really like it.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:59 am

rlrobinhood wrote:Hi all,

Garmin describes it as a fully functioning GPS unit, but I don't know what that really means or how it compares to the Oregon 650T. I emailed Garmin 2-weeks ago with similar questions, but they never responded..... Any GPS experts out there that could help me out?

Thanks.
Give Garmin a call, they are very friendly, knowledgable folks! 800-800-1020-----ext-2,-- ext-5, I know, they can satisfactorily answer ALL of your questions!

rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:56 pm

mtlhdr wrote:If you have an android smartphone check out the backcountry navigator app. It basically turns you phone into a GPS unit. Since I found this app I haven't touched my eTrex (I actually just sold it on eBay). I couldn't say if it has all the functionality of today's GPS units but it might have everything you're looking for and its only $10.

I, too, like having my e collar and GPS collar as separate units. I use the Astro and really like it.

Good point and I havn't tried that app. But, last year during elk season I tried a number of gps apps and did not like them. Biggest issues is they didn't function well without cell coverage (I hunt in areas that are limited to none) and they ate the battery up VERY VERY quickly. I must say though, it was cool that once I filled my tag, I could tell exactly how far I had to pack it out..... sometimes its better not to know... I got it down in a hole about 3-miles from the truck.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:29 pm

rlrobinhood wrote:
mtlhdr wrote:If you have an android smartphone check out the backcountry navigator app. It basically turns you phone into a GPS unit. Since I found this app I havent touched my eTrex (I actually just sold it on eBay). I couldn't say if it has all the functionality of today's GPS units but it might have everything you're looking for and its only $10.

Good point and I havn't tried that app. But, last year during elk season I tried a number of gps apps and did not like them. Biggest issues is they didn't function well without cell coverage (I hunt in areas that are limited to none) and they ate the battery up VERY VERY quickly. I must say though, it was cool that once I filled my tag, I could tell exactly how far I had to pack it out..... sometimes its better not to know... I got it down in a hole about 3-miles from the truck.
I mostly do day trips so battery life isn't really an issue, but i did buy two extra aftermarket batteries for my phone just in case. I do know a few folks who have portable solar chargers but I can't speak from experience on those. Backcountry navigator has a great aerial image overlayed with topo and no stand-alone GPS is going to have as nice a screen as my galaxy s4. FWIW, Most of my use has been outside of cell range and I've had no issues. The only limitation it's you'll have to pre-download the maps for the area you'll be visiting if you're going to be it of cell range.