Used to.......

madmurph

Used to.......

Post by madmurph » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:19 pm

This forum used to be a great place to get infromation from the more experienced and give information to the less experienced. Unfortunately it is becoming nothing but a place to argue with those who have a difference of opinion, follow different training methods or feed a different food. .

And of course there is always the ongoing threads under differnt titles that you can argue the worth or worthlessness of trial dogs. If you wish to take the trial dog argument one step further there is always a thread going about AA dogs as well. It isn't even the guy who owned one dog in his life and now knows all about training, trialing and everything else that bothers me. It is the constant pissing, moaning and arguing that I have grown tired of.

Differences of opinion are great, but they are just that - opinions. Thanks to those of you that have continued to post worthwhile advice and that have opined with dignity.

mask

Re: Used to.......

Post by mask » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:11 pm

+1, give it heck Murph. :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:17 pm

It's a forum about an important subject to all. I love the different opinions from folks much more experienced than I. I expect them to get heated sometimes. I still learn plenty. (Name calling I have no patience for.) Joining here is not a lifetime commitment .

PS NOT talking about you Murph ( I don't know you , nor do I remember one of your posts.), but SOME gentlemen can not stand to be called wrong - subtley or clearly.... low self esteem. They get their backs up quickly , and get mad. Forums are not for them imo. When Wayne Gretzky tells me I am wrong about how to score, I listen, I don't argue. :)

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:10 am

+1 Murph; but stick in there, the stars of today seem to give way for the stars of tomorrow.
Sharon not much learned from arguing, a lot learned from a good disagreeable discussion; we can agree to disagree with out all posturing.
I think the moderators used to stop it sooner.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:31 am

There is still a lot of very good information on this forum. You need to get thru the people who are so sure that their way is the only that they consider anything else a insult. I have issues with the insults, But you consider the source and move on. A few posts back I was called ignorant. He was right, that was the reason for my question. I hope somebody can enlighten me. I always like a good debate. We don't all have to agree. That is why there is more than one color crayon in a box.....................Cj

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:40 am

If you wanted people to take your "question" as a serious plea for enlightenment you would have asked it sincerely and politely, rather than mockingly.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:00 am

Sharon, I love a hockey analogy.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:52 am

slistoe wrote:If you wanted people to take your "question" as a serious plea for enlightenment you would have asked it sincerely and politely, rather than mockingly.
Really!!!!!!!!!!!

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:05 am

Hang in there Murph. I am sure you will gain some insight, provide some insight and disagree with opinions. Keep reading and posting. Thanks. There are different personalities no matter where you go, something good comes from all encounters.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Great place or not, there is one common bond here despite the bickering and back and forth banter, we all share a passion & love for bird dog's...

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:14 pm

QuillGordon wrote:Great place or not, there is one common bond here despite the bickering and back and forth banter, we all share a passion & love for bird dog's...

Actually, I love your photographs too.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:18 pm

Thank you...

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:05 am

I think there is still a lot of good advice on here and you can usually tell by the post title if its discussion,advice
,or training oriented. This is a forum and this section here is entitled "general chat". It is fun talking and discussing different things on here. We must all try to respect one anothers point of view, which at times can be difficult and lead to bickering which is why we have the much needed moderstors.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:47 am

I agree with the statement that this place can be hostile and insulting at times. I include myself as part of the problem. I think at some point all of us have the responsibility to reread our post before we click submit. I know there have been at least 25 posts that I have kept off this forum purely b/c I proof read my response and decided it added nothing to the discussion. Opinions and Debates are great, but the real reason for a forum is to answer the question asked as best you can. If you aren't answering the question and are just battling it out with people you may need to find another outlet for your anger.

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:41 am

sometimes you feel the love, or how high you can piss up the wall
Urinal-Fail.jpg
sometimes it's just ugly, and you just shouldn't drink
ugly dog.jpg
either way you don't have to participate when 'it' starts, these days mostly I don't

..........tasi

PS; btw QuillGordon I love your pics too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:51 am

Mostly its a "I am smarter than you" type of thang..

Few really wish to actually learn anything and will beat you over the head with their opinion. The raw feed guys are one example..

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:15 pm

PS; btw QuillGordon I love your pics too.
Grazie...

We also drink & type.
Regretfully...

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:35 pm

madmurph wrote:This forum used to be a great place to get infromation from the more experienced and give information to the less experienced. Unfortunately it is becoming nothing but a place to argue with those who have a difference of opinion, follow different training methods or feed a different food. .

And of course there is always the ongoing threads under differnt titles that you can argue the worth or worthlessness of trial dogs. If you wish to take the trial dog argument one step further there is always a thread going about AA dogs as well. It isn't even the guy who owned one dog in his life and now knows all about training, trialing and everything else that bothers me. It is the constant pissing, moaning and arguing that I have grown tired of.

Differences of opinion are great, but they are just that - opinions. Thanks to those of you that have continued to post worthwhile advice and that have opined with dignity.
I was going to argue about this but thought better of it. 8) :lol:

Charlie

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:11 pm

It takes a lot of restraint to "turn the other cheek" when your are attacked on a forum. It is hard because many people do not know you personally and have no basis of respect. You are openly insulted and those reading it have little to base an opinion on. Often those WRITING it have little to base an opinion on. I work very hard to state my points and not get pulled in to "defending" them more than is needed for giving advice. I am doing this very thing right now from another thread. I am pointedly NOT even reading a response in that thread because I know the "poster" will be making hostile comments about my experience/training/methods or something. In reality it is nothing to me. But it still irks me.
I can often tell by WHO is posting whether I should get involved. And when certain know-it-all folks are involved I stay away. Or state my advice and then never check back.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:26 pm

slistoe wrote:
QuillGordon wrote:Great place or not, there is one common bond here despite the bickering and back and forth banter, we all share a passion & love for bird dog's...

Actually, I love your photographs too.
I just subscribe to GDF to read the articles...I don't look at the pictures...

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:36 pm

mountaindogs wrote:It takes a lot of restraint to "turn the other cheek" when your are attacked on a forum. It is hard because many people do not know you personally and have no basis of respect. You are openly insulted and those reading it have little to base an opinion on. Often those WRITING it have little to base an opinion on. I work very hard to state my points and not get pulled in to "defending" them more than is needed for giving advice. I am doing this very thing right now from another thread. I am pointedly NOT even reading a response in that thread because I know the "poster" will be making hostile comments about my experience/training/methods or something. In reality it is nothing to me. But it still irks me.
I can often tell by WHO is posting whether I should get involved. And when certain know-it-all folks are involved I stay away. Or state my advice and then never check back.
I wish I could do that but I just can't :lol:

Charlie

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:53 am

The thing that bothers me about this forum is "the old guard". It seems like there is a handful of self appointed "gatekeepers" who effectively act as if this is "their" forum. There seems to be less regard for assisting and passing on helpful information to those new to the sport(s), and more emphasis on deliberately provoking squabbles.

Case in point: I posted about a dog food brand having success, only to get an antagonistic reply and eyes rolling emoticon. Also, I've just emerged from a debate on essentially a vocabulary test which is not based on fact, but nomenclature and parlance. It's ridiculous. People post as if their opinions are FACTS, when in reality they are options and preferences. If people would preface their post with a tad bit of humility vs. hubris I suspect a lot of squabbles would be avoided.

Finally, when bad advice is given, I do think it is incumbent for others to present a counterpoint view to benefit the unsuspecting readers. Usually when this effort to present the counterpoint view is presented, pride sets in and the "old guard" come guns a blazing. What quickly follows is those same "gatekeepers" circle the wagons and unleash their ad hominem attacks as their measure of last resort. As others have stated, it becomes less about helping others and more about protecting ones "internet forum status" in ones own mind.