Nail Trim

ChetB

Nail Trim

Post by ChetB » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:32 am

A buddy of mine stopped by this morning with his GSP that he'd had boarded for the past 9 months while he was overseas. Apparently, during that time the dog was well taken care of except for nail trimming. A few of her nails are darned near an inch long! I trimmed them slightly, just taking off about an 8th of an inch fearing I'd hit the quick. I know if the nails are gradually trimmed back the quick will recede, but my question is how soon can the next trim be done safely? Her toes seem fine and she didn't appear to have any trouble walking or running around with my dogs in the yard. Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Chet

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Nail Trim

Post by shags » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:52 am

You can flip the dog's paw and view the underside of the nails. You'll see the horny outer part forms a protective kind of shell over a little V shaped structure that comes from the nailbed. That's part of the quick. You can generally clip to just in front of that and be OK. Or, look straight on where you have trimmed a nail. If you see a little round dot thingy, that's the quick beginning to show. You can trim back carefully and little by little until you see that spot.

Using a dremel with a drum grinder head helps too. Keep it moving, don't grind more than a few seconds in one spot ( it gets hot!) and slowly go until you're near the quick.

You can buy some quick stop for if you get a bleeder, or use styptic or even ordinary white flour. If you go slowly, any bleeders will e small and easy to stop.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:22 am

In terms of frequency, once every 3-4 weeks should work. I would also Google on grinding at an angle to the end of the nail, basically to take a bit more off without hitting the quick.

reba

Post by reba » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Most of the nail trimmers you can get at the pet store are junk, because the limit your view.

Ask your Vet to see what they use and get the large one.

I am sure your Vet uses the plier type.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:21 pm

I have found that as long as the nail I am cutting seems hard and brittle, I never draw blood. if the nail is easier to cut and softer, that is when I have to take thin shavings.

I also like the Dremel. I almost never grind too much away. I also find that the heat from the sanding drum causes the quick to retreat, over multiple sandings.

The good news is that if you get it right on one nail on one paw, you have a very good idea where to cut on the same nail on the other paw.

RayG

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Thu May 22, 2014 8:57 pm

In the last 4 years, I've only trimmed my Lily's nails twice - she chews them to keep them to her desired length. I was wondering how common this is. Anybody else's dog trim their own? And it's okay if your dog's male -promise not to judge. :lol:

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri May 23, 2014 5:23 am

We had a setter who tore a nail and wouldn't leave the nub alone. He got into the habit of chewing all his nails and didn't need trimming.

windswept

Post by windswept » Fri May 23, 2014 8:12 am

I have 4 dogs right now and I never trim their nails. Seems like the running wears them down. I suppose if they were house dogs that didn't get out much it would be a different story.