Man Awarded $145,000 in the Shooting of His Dog

dog dr

Re: Man Awarded $145,000 in the Shooting of His Dog

Post by dog dr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:35 pm

DGFavor wrote:Took care of a kid at the end of my shift the other day, 6am - big, ex-football, ex-military dude, trouble with the Mrs...shot in the left chest with a 9mm handgun. Begging for all the help he could get between bouts of spitting frothy red blood all over the place. Life is different for him now. Ballistics is a pretty simple equation that does not calculate in who you are or what skills you have. IMO, if you want the best chance of continuing life in your present state of health and skill, if at all possible, leave the guy with the gun alone, call the authorities.

well said. Billy Badass usually forgets hes not bullet proof. Only thing I think i would have done different than the dog owner in this story is i would have picked my dog up and carried him out. Hopefully the nutcase would have been less likely to shoot if someone is holding the dog. but who knows...

deke

Post by deke » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:40 pm

I had a private landowner threaten to shoot my dog last time we were in SD. We were hunting the ditches and winged a bird that went out into his field, dog had the bird in his mouth after chasing it halfway across the field, Little man pulls up in his truck mad as heck saying he is gonna shoot the "bleep" dog. I calmly racked the slide on my shotgun, and asked if he thought he could get his rifle out of the truck and shoot the dog before I could pull up. It was the most intense 30 seconds of my entire life, I was scared shitless. We finally got the dog back and in the truck , loaded up and drove off. Had to pull off the road a few miles later and walk off all the adrenaline that was pumping through my body, threw up my breakfast too. I still don't know what set him off, we were well within our rights, we were standing on the road when he pulled up and never went across his fence. I still think back on the exact moment today and wonder what would of happened if he would of tried going for the rifle, I was between him and the dog, so obviously the gun would of been pulled on me, and if I would of shot him it would be "self defense", But what would make a man think that he could shoot someone else's dog and there be no retaliation?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:51 pm

DGFavor wrote:Took care of a kid at the end of my shift the other day, 6am - big, ex-football, ex-military dude, trouble with the Mrs...shot in the left chest with a 9mm handgun. Begging for all the help he could get between bouts of spitting frothy red blood all over the place. Life is different for him now. Ballistics is a pretty simple equation that does not calculate in who you are or what skills you have. IMO, if you want the best chance of continuing life in your present state of health and skill, if at all possible, leave the guy with the gun alone, call the authorities.
Now this is great and common sense advise.

I have also been trained in disarming an armed subject but should be done when there is no alternative, and the situation must be just right in able to accomplish it (the shooter has to be in very close proximity). I am going to reluctantly add some things about myself in order to hopefully make a point. Like Mark, I grew up fighting , as many in my generation did. I also have a history, spent a number of years in the boxing ring (because I always had a passion for the sport) and was pretty successful. I have also had training in other self defense methods. My point is that with a certain amount of skill and knowledge comes confidence, discreetnes and humility. I never mention it and the only way most people would know it, is if somebody else tells them. Also, if you are not discreet and humble, there is a good chance that somebody will come along and humble you! :wink: At my age this may all be a moot point anyway. :lol:

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:10 am

birddogger wrote:
Now this is great and common sense advise.

I have also been trained in disarming an armed subject but should be done when there is no alternative, and the situation must be just right in able to accomplish it (the shooter has to be in very close proximity). I am going to reluctantly add some things about myself in order to hopefully make a point. Like Mark, I grew up fighting , as many in my generation did. I also have a history, spent a number of years in the boxing ring (because I always had a passion for the sport) and was pretty successful. I have also had training in other self defense methods. My point is that with a certain amount of skill and knowledge comes confidence, discreetnes and humility. I never mention it and the only way most people would know it, is if somebody else tells them. Also, if you are not discreet and humble, there is a good chance that somebody will come along and humble you! :wink: At my age this may all be a moot point anyway. :lol:
EXACTLY!! The REAL tough guys dont have to tell everybody how tough they are, nor do they feel the need to.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:00 am

There's more to this then just acting or being tough. This guy put the dog owner in danger when he pointed that gun in his direction. What's the first thing you are taught when you are given a gun and when it comes to the safety of others? What if after the dog was shot the gun was then turned on the owner? That was a very difficult situation which I bet could have turned out much different for many others regardless of how tuff one is. It was a situation with major adrenalin flow and if I were on a jury and the guy who shot the dog was injured I would be voting "NOT GUILTY".

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Not saying markj is a wolf.
Geez, I am not a wolf, nor do I belive I can whip the world. I said I would go after the guy in that situation. Never said I was the baddest guy around.

We do training now for active shooter, this training is go for the shooter and stop his actions. Its what will happen now, not hide and wait him out like the past.

See this is why I left this here board for a couple years. You guys run off the best and keep the whiners and ft guys.Good for you.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:25 am

markj wrote:
Not saying markj is a wolf.
Geez, I am not a wolf, nor do I belive I can whip the world. I said I would go after the guy in that situation. Never said I was the baddest guy around.

We do training now for active shooter, this training is go for the shooter and stop his actions. Its what will happen now, not hide and wait him out like the past.

See this is why I left this here board for a couple years. You guys run off the best and keep the whiners and ft guys.Good for you.
Nobody has tried to run you off, or even come close to suggesting you leave. There may be some here that have disagreed with you on something, but that is usually what happens in an open discussion.

asc

Post by asc » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Person crazy enough to shoot a leashed dog beside the owner is crazy enough to shoot the owner.
I love Fl's stand your ground law, except in govt. building I am never unarmed.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:06 pm

asc - if you were in this exact scenario (trespassing to recover a dog) in Florida and trespassed while armed, you would have just committed a 3rd degree felony. You might want to rethink those broad types of statements.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/orlan ... orida.html

asc

Post by asc » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:45 pm

41magsnub wrote:asc - if you were in this exact scenario (trespassing to recover a dog) in Florida and trespassed while armed, you would have just committed a 3rd degree felony. You might want to rethink those broad types of statements.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/orlan ... orida.html
I read your link, I understand it.
I'd take my chances to get my dog and protect myself from harm then
I'll leave the rest up to the attorney's.