Trial season just around the corner

Elkhunter

Trial season just around the corner

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:27 pm

So it gives me a good excuse to go chase some wild birds around to get ready.

Went a bit backwards tonight, had been solid up till tonight then she came undone.

She hit the ridge and kept going, heard the ominous beep and knew I had to walk up there.....
And it was uphill, and it took 20 minutes. And yes the pair was still there, even though the naysayers say they wont be. They must make their own rules. :D
This dude loves water
Headed to the top as usual
Finally got to her, Woodster passed below her and went on his own walkabout for a bit while we worked these birds.
Still standing tall, tried to go with the birds... :( I guess thinking about it for 20 minutes was just too much.

Moved 5 or so pairs, had a good outing. Hiked my butt off.

Still got a few more weeks to get ready!

jetjockey

Re: Trial season just around the corner

Post by jetjockey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:48 am

Your making me jealous. My trial season came and went in one week at the end of Jan. We got accomplished what we needed though...... Almost...... I had to make the deck ion between daycare and field trialing this spring. Daycare won out. Good luck and enjoy your season.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:51 am

Our season starts this weekend. Got the dog back from the trainer 2 weeks ago, picking the new horse up from her trainer on our way Friday. Looking forward to it!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:27 am

I am getting pretty restless myself.

My wife has been fighting with the consequences of an auto wreck since last June. Sooo, my fall trial season as well as my hunting season was cut pretty short. In early Jan. she had a total knee replacement, so basically I have done nothing with the dogs and horses since then. I cannot stand my own cooking and my wife has not bee able to ride far in the car...so, let's just say I don't want to see another pizza or any more Chinese takeout for looooong time.

The only good thing was that, since I knew I was not going to get any training done, I put my ego in my hip pocket and sent my young dog with the trainer for the winter months. She seems to be getting it together. I hope to get her back late this month and be able to run her a couple of times myself.

If my luck stays the way it has been, she'll probably come in heat. :lol:

There is always next fall.

Have fun out there guys. Be safe.

RayG

mask

Post by mask » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:55 am

Elk hunter, that is the best cover I have seen in two years. You must not have the draught conditions we have out here. Have a great year with the dogs. I'm pretty sure I would kill for that kind of cover over here. :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:09 pm

mask wrote:Elk hunter, that is the best cover I have seen in two years. You must not have the draught conditions we have out here. Have a great year with the dogs. I'm pretty sure I would kill for that kind of cover over here. :)
Its been good, the first of the year I could not find a bird. Once it got cold we started finding them and had a great season. Lots of hold over birds so I am stoked for next year.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:06 pm

I've got pictures of my setter and lab running on grouse one year ago today. This I'm at least a week away before I can think about getting into the woods. The woodcock are probably about 10 days or more from making it up this way.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:16 pm

The Brittany is FAT......but not quite as fat as the horse.....On a good note I got the dogs out last weekend, the britt locked up, and being the dumb handler I am I just rode the horse over and was going to call her off assuming it was a rabbit. Well it was someone's left over training quail, I made a nice accidental flush with the horse....Dog stood through flush....After my shock and apologizing to the dog for my own stupidity I walked her off and headed back out....So bird work is looking good...but man, fat and out of shape. Good thing still got a little less then a month to go.
The GSP puppy on the other hand. Pretty much just working on recall, hoping to keep him in the same zip code at the moment....man he likes to go.

So yeah, I'm ready :)

LBH

Post by LBH » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Lookin' sharp brotha!