field trial question ?

Max2

field trial question ?

Post by Max2 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:55 am

Can anybody show up at a field trial & enter there dog ? or is it pretty formal and lot of rules & regulations that must be known before entering ? I was just curious knowing nothing about it . I remember when I got my first shorthair my breeder asked me what I intended on doing with him and was field trials in our future. My response was no that I just wanted to learn & raise a bird dog. I followed up my answer with "I am not a competitive person by nature" His response with a smile and slight laugh was for me to start trialing as he replied " you will become competitive" if I ever did try to compete it would not be for myself but for my pup . i think he would like it......

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: field trial question ?

Post by shags » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:11 am

For AKC trials you have to enter ahead of time. Go to their website, do an event search, then pull up the premium list. You fill one out and send it to the trial secretary. Some clubs allow email or phone entries so contact the secretary to find out. Generally entries are accepted up until a few days to a week before the trial.

AF/AFTCA trials are a little more relaxed entry-wise. I've never had a problem just calling in an entry. But those trials also 'close' their entries a few days before. You can find out about these trials by subscribing to The American Field magazine, or by looking under 'scheduled trials' on the website.

Before you attempt to enter you need to know what is required of your dog for the stake you want to enter. The contact person on the premium or in the ad should be happy to guide you. If you dog isn't trained to the necessary level, it would be better to work on that before you enter. This applies to 'broke dog' stakes more than puppy or derby stakes which are specifically for young dogs.

If you check out different pointing breed or gundog forums, sometimes you'll find fun trials where you can just show up and enter. Looking in your local sportsmans forums are a good source.

You can also do a search for local breed or trial clubs in your area - like 'GSP clubs California' or whatever your breed/location is. They'll have contact persons listed who can help you out.

Starting out in trials can be confusing and intimidating, but you ought to get the hang of it pretty fast. Give it a try, it can be a lot of fun for both you and your dog.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:11 am

While trials are competitive and some people take them way too seriously, they don't have to be. Trials will be what you make them. For my wife and I, it's just a lot of fun to watch our dog run and do what she loves to do. Sometimes our dog wins, more often she loses. To me, the joy isn't in ribbons and trophies (even though they are nice), it's in watching a dog lay down a run where you sit back afterwards and just say "wow". I know that sounds cheesy, but when you see it you know. My wife has never run a dog and has only ridden a few dozen braces. But even she knows when our dog is laying down one of those runs. IMO, that's the big rush and joy of trialing. Give trialing a fair and honest shake, and I think you will enjoy it.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:34 am

You should go watch one or two. See what they are like , ask questions and read the rules. Last thing you want to do is show up with a dog that is going to ruin someone else's day. I've got a couple horror stories, and I had a dog darn near killed by someone's wild dog at a trial. I could no longer run him in brace trials afterwards.

I am not saying iits a common occurrence but you probably don't want to be responsible for someone else's bad day. Its best to be prepared so you have a good time.

Grousehunter123

Re:

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:06 am

birddog1968 wrote:You should go watch one or two. See what they are like , ask questions and read the rules. Last thing you want to do is show up with a dog that is going to ruin someone else's day. I've got a couple horror stories, and I had a dog darn near killed by someone's wild dog at a trial. I could no longer run him in brace trials afterwards.

I am not saying iits a common occurrence but you probably don't want to be responsible for someone else's bad day. Its best to be prepared so you have a good time.

And the flip side is true too. As primarily a hunter of wild birds, I entered an open coverdog puppy trial which had several of the leading trainers/handlers in it. I was braced with one. When the pro "sang" out to his dog....mine came in to check with me. When the pro would give two whistle blasts to send his puppy forward, mine came back to me. The pace the pro took through the course would make for a very unenjoyable hunt. My pup hunted the cover within 100 yards doing a nice job and pointed a woodcock. The pro's pup generally ran bigger than that, trailed my pup from time to time, pointed nothing but still was a nice pup. At the end of the run I shook his hand and he said "well, I'm happy he made it around the course and I didn't lose him". I said I was pleased to see my pup point a woodcock. He took second place. I got nothing.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:14 am

I'm not bitter about what I experienced, it was a young kid with a wild dog, I was using it as an example to watch , learn and come prepared for everyone's enjoyment.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:14 am

Max -

A whole lot depends on the age of your dog.
As mentioned previously, you must enter your dog in advance.

If the dog is under two years of age, it can run in a derby stake where the dogs are not expected to be steady to wing and shot, or to back. They are expected to point game(at least for little while). If the dog is a puppy(I forget the AKC age cap), there are basically no expectations that the youngster must live up to.

If the dog is over 24 months of age, it is expected to be steady to wing and shot, to back on sight... and in the case of a GSP, can be required to besteady to fall and to retrieve to hand, if it is a retrieving stake.

In hunt tests, the same sort of separation, by expectations occurs. in Junior Hunter the dog is expected to hold point for something like five seconds and that is about it. In Senior Hunter the dog is expected to be steady to wing and shot, but is not required to back(I think).

I concur with birddog1968. unless it is a puppy, leave the dog home at first and go see a couple. Read up on it and when you go to the trial or test, many of your questions will be answered if you watch and listen.

If you go to a field trial, by all means rent, beg, or borrow a horse to watch a few braces. You will see soooo much more of the dogs and get a true flavor of what it is about.

When you go to a test or trial, take note of how everyone is rigged out, in terms of stakeouts and shelter for their animals and in general how they do things. Different folks do things differently, but a lot of different ways get it done, so if you see a bunch of options, you cn decide which works for you.

RayG
Last edited by RayGubernat on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grousehunter123

Re:

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:24 am

birddog1968 wrote:I'm not bitter about what I experienced, it was a young kid with a wild dog, I was using it as an example to watch , learn and come prepared for everyone's enjoyment.
birddog1968 wrote:You should go watch one or two. See what they are like , ask questions and read the rules. Last thing you want to do is show up with a dog that is going to ruin someone else's day. I've got a couple horror stories, and I had a dog darn near killed by someone's wild dog at a trial. I could no longer run him in brace trials afterwards.

What kind of trial was it with a kid and such a vicious dog in it?

You said the experience ruined the dog from ever trailing again. That's too bad. What did you do with the dog?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 am

Never said any dog was vicious. I've guided with him for 7 years professionally and run him in non braced events. He's also spent every year of his life with me on prairie hunting trips.

Grousehunter123

Re:

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:55 am

birddog1968 wrote:Never said any dog was vicious. I've guided with him for 7 years professionally and run him in non braced events. He's also spent every year of his life with me on prairie hunting trips.

Well, I'm going by what you said which was this: "I've got a couple horror stories, and I had a dog darn near killed by someone's wild dog at a trial".

If having your dog nearly killed by a kids dog at a trial isn't a vicious dog then I don't know what is.

I remain ever amazed at what I read here!! LOL. :D

Neverthelessless, I'm glad your dog was able to recover from the incident and go on to have a productive life.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:05 am

Your fishing for the worst to back up your bias. My dog was t-boned on point . nothing vicious about the other dog. Just wild like I said.

Grousehunter123

Re:

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:11 am

birddog1968 wrote:Your fishing for the worst to back up your bias. My dog was t-boned on point . nothing vicious about the other dog. Just wild like I said.
I'm not fishing for anything. I've quoted your exact words trying to make sense out of it in the context of the OP wanting to learn about field trials. I offered an experience for him to consider as well.

Again, your words..not mine: "I've got a couple horror stories, and I had a dog darn near killed by someone's wild dog at a trial".

If a dog almost killed your dog, as you said, I'd consider that a vicious dog. What is t-boning?

KwikIrish

Re: Re:

Post by KwikIrish » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:20 am

Grousehunter123 wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Your fishing for the worst to back up your bias. My dog was t-boned on point . nothing vicious about the other dog. Just wild like I said.
I'm not fishing for anything. I've quoted your exact words trying to make sense out of it in the context of the OP wanting to learn about field trials. I offered an experience for him to consider as well.

Again, your words..not mine: "I've got a couple horror stories, and I had a dog darn near killed by someone's wild dog at a trial".

If a dog almost killed your dog, as you said, I'd consider that a vicious dog. What is t-boning?
Think car accident. His dog was on point and the other dog ran right through him from the side.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:24 am

:lol: Grouse hunter, you just are not a fun guy are you? :lol:

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:25 am

The good news is that there are clear guidelines and consequences for dog and people problems at a field trial. Conversely, hunting club parking lots, fields, dog parks, Petco, front yards, etc...where the preponderance of horror stories occur are generally unmitigated and inhabited by bias and blind dog owners who lack experience and perspective.

To the OP spring is great time to see trials and make your decision, the akc, af, and NSTRA websites and go observe. The standards and rules are there as well.

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:28 am

KwikIrish wrote:
Grousehunter123 wrote:

Think car accident. His dog was on point and the other dog ran right through him from the side.
This is getting CRAZIER by the moment!!

A dog runs into a dog on point, and the force of which almost causes a dog to: "darned near gets killed" ? It being so traumatic that the dog spent the rest of its life hunting alone because: "can no longer hunt in a brace "?

This place is a ZOO for unbridled WHOPPERS!!

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:29 am

mask wrote::lol: Grouse hunter, you just are not a fun guy are you? :lol:

Probably not to some. The stories that are told....... :roll: :roll:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am

If you've never seen it happen I can understand your confusion. Broken bones and internal bleeding can be the result. It sounds very much like a car accident. The dog no longer can take hearing footbeats coming from behind and will posture to protect himself.

That is no cause to belittle something your ignorant to. The story is an extreme and not the norm but speaks to being prepared so everyone has an enjoyable experience. If you can't imagine what you have never witnessed just ask don't belittle and call people liars.

Grousehunter123

Re:

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:42 am

birddog1968 wrote:If you've never seen it happen I can understand your confusion. Broken bones and internal bleeding can be the result. It sounds very much like a car accident. The dog no longer can take hearing footbeats coming from behind and will posture to protect himself.
I've never heard of such a thing coming from a "wild dog" running into a dog on point. I've seen several examples of dogs running into one another and even dogs hit by cars and one actually run over with NO INJURIES.

By chance after the broken bones were healed, internal bleeding stopped and the recovery process complete your dog didn't blink birds? If the dog were on point, the offending dog striking him with such violent force as to nearly kill him I'd think he might also associate that trauma with the birds. No?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:48 am

If you have anything else to say to me put it in a pm, I probably won't waste my time answering but it won't sidetrack a thread.

Grousehunter123

Re:

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:49 am

birddog1968 wrote:If you've never seen it happen I can understand your confusion.

That is no cause to belittle something your ignorant to. The story is an extreme and not the norm but speaks to being prepared so everyone has an enjoyable experience. If you can't imagine what you have never witnessed just ask don't belittle and call people liars.

I came home to find a window broken out and asked my son who was playing baseball if he did it. He said no, that a big windstorm just came up and it carried a rock right through it. I wasn't there to see it. I can't imagine it happening. I guess by your logic I was wrong to disbelieve my son? Some of you guys are a riot!! :D

Grousehunter123

Re:

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:50 am

birddog1968 wrote:If you have anything else to say to me put it in a pm, I probably won't waste my time answering but it won't sidetrack a thread.
OK...if you're done....I'm done.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 am

Grousehunter123 wrote: He took second place. I got nothing.
Sounds reasonable from your explanation. You came to have a leisurely stroll in the woods with your dog, he came to compete.

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 am

slistoe wrote:
Grousehunter123 wrote: He took second place. I got nothing.
Sounds reasonable from your explanation. You came to have a leisurely stroll in the woods with your dog, he came to compete.

Of course you weren't there to know that I walked to keep pace, but that won't stop you from starting a pissing match.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 am

Geeeeze grouse hunter take a little hint will you. Even a fish wouldn't get caught if it kept his mouth shut. :wink:

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:06 am

mask wrote:Geeeeze grouse hunter take a little hint will you. Even a fish wouldn't get caught if it kept his mouth shut. :wink:

I know these bozos are fishing.....I'm looking at -10 windchills with nothing to do but wait for better weather and keep these dummies busy.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:06 am

Grousehunter123 wrote:I came home to find a window broken out and asked my son who was playing baseball if he did it. He said no, that a big windstorm just came up and it carried a rock right through it. I wasn't there to see it. I can't imagine it happening. I guess by your logic I was wrong to disbelieve my son? Some of you guys are a riot!!
Those stories have no correlation. Dogs do not perceive things like humans and at the right moment a seemingly benign incident to us can make a substantial imprint on a dog. The term ignorance comes from arguing with people who likely have more experience and acumen in a given discipline...and the acumen piece is important. One of my favorite go to phrases my Dad uses fits when some folks tell me how long they have been doing something and yet have no measurable way of confirming they know the elbow from their eyeball...Son, 30 years of experience is sometimes 1 year of experience 30 times.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:10 am

These DUMMIES ? :roll:

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:13 am

Chukar12 wrote:
Grousehunter123 wrote:I came home to find a window broken out and asked my son who was playing baseball if he did it. He said no, that a big windstorm just came up and it carried a rock right through it. I wasn't there to see it. I can't imagine it happening. I guess by your logic I was wrong to disbelieve my son? Some of you guys are a riot!!
Those stories have no correlation. Dogs do not perceive things like humans and at the right moment a seemingly benign incident to us can make a substantial imprint on a dog. The term ignorance comes from arguing with people who likely have more experience and acumen in a given discipline...and the acumen piece is important. One of my favorite go to phrases my Dad uses fits when some folks tell me how long they have been doing something and yet have no measurable way of confirming they know the elbow from their eyeball...Son, 30 years of experience is sometimes 1 year of experience 30 times.
I admire your defending birddog 1968. I assume you two have a personal "relationship" (which does not need to be explained) for you to know of his acumen and prowess to such a degree that you bring out your "ole pappy's advice, and assume my experience is inferior. Be my guest and defend the headbutt that caused such trauma.... :roll:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:15 am

Op don't let this thread or one bad story stop you. If you go to watch talk to the organizers, they will often put you with a judge or another experienced person to watch/ride with so you can ask any questions on what you see and why. They are generally very accommodating to new folks. An akc or AF gundog stake or a nstra.org event are good places to start. Dogs are judged on style and performance and manners. There are also timed events (bdc/ufta) that are scored events on time and number of birds. Dogs aren't judged in those events. If good dog work is what you like you will probably gravitate to the judged events.

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:16 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:These DUMMIES ? :roll:
It's hard for me to take you too seriously. It seems like you get most threads locked, which I assume is right around the corner. I left the term DUMMIES open, vague and not not a personal attack on an individual. However, if the shoe fits.....

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:20 am

I don't know the person...and I am not assuming anything. You have a body of work that either clarifies what you do and don't know, or you are purposely saying things that learned know more about to get a reaction. either way i suppose it gets you through the wretched winter. Remember, you are dealing with a number of people that are accredited trainers and handlers. Many are professionals...handlers, trainers and guides that have spent countless hours training. I will try one time to help you...How many ill placed gunshots does it take to make a puppy pre-disposed to noise aversion to be gun shy?

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:22 am

Grousehunter123 wrote:
It's hard for me to take you too seriously. It seems like you get most threads locked, which I assume is right around the corner. I left the term DUMMIES open, vague and not not a personal attack on an individual. However, if the shoe fits.....
Why do you hate Field Trials so much?

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:29 am

Chukar12 wrote:I don't know the person...and I am not assuming anything. You have a body of work that either clarifies what you do and don't know, or you are purposely saying things that learned know more about to get a reaction. either way i suppose it gets you through the wretched winter. Remember, you are dealing with a number of people that are accredited trainers and handlers. Many are professionals...handlers, trainers and guides that have spent countless hours training. I will try one time to help you...How many ill placed gunshots does it take to make a puppy pre-disposed to noise aversion to be gun shy?

I appreciate your altruism. First you offer your unsoliced help to birddogger 1968 who clearly he and I agreed to leave things alone. Now your charity is extended to "try one time to help me"? I'm honored, but at this time I'll decline from answering your gunshy test question at this time. However, I'd like the option, if I may, to answer it at a later date if I feel the need to curry favor with you at some point.

Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and I suppose now with two terms, Obama all have a "body of work", accredited, professionals as a label. Doesn't mean I think they are correct in their policy. I don't care who it is on the other end of the keyboard when something outrageous is put out here on an Internet forum, it will get scrutinized. I suggest you get used to that.

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:30 am

Elkhunter wrote:
Grousehunter123 wrote:
Why do you hate fried chicken so much?

See what I did there? I threw out an outlandish question ASSUMING something about you that I have no idea about.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:33 am

I know of a breeder who had his leg broken by a chessie that ran in to him full force, think about a 45 pound dog running at full tilt into something it could cause damage no doubt about it.

To the op i am trying to enter my pup into his first trial (derby) at the end of this month so i am learning the whole process right now.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:39 am

You are wrong, I am not helping him. I am merely correcting a posters bad information (yours) so that folks who made need help don't get the wrong idea. I am more than used to exceptionally amateurish and limited experience posters getting louder and resorting to name calling et al in hopes of building their reputation on line. The political examples you cite are apropos only in that they represent organizers and advocates who rage against the machine with little knowledge and or ability to actually get things done.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:44 am

Grouse think about this if you were only having problems here with one person it might be the other persons fault but when it seems you have a problem with almost every one here you might want to look in the mirrow. :wink:

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:48 am

Chukar12 wrote:You are wrong, I am not helping him. I am merely correcting a posters bad information (yours) so that folks who made need help don't get the wrong idea. I am more than used to exceptionally amateurish and limited experience posters getting louder and resorting to name calling et al in hopes of building their reputation on line. The political examples you cite are apropos only in that they represent organizers and advocates who rage against the machine with little knowledge and or ability to actually get things done.

I'm glad this forum has you to correct my bad information. You have earned your high "reputation on line" you have awarded yourself, I'm sure.

Please, what bad information did I dispel?

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:50 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Grouse think about this if you were only having problems here with one person it might be the other persons fault but when it seems you have a problem with almost every one here you might want to look in the mirrow. :wink:
Number one it's mirror. Number two, you are the thread lock king. Number three my PM BOX tells me something different.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:52 am

Well you have another PM.& thanks for correcting my spelling do you have an app so I can spell check everything I type?

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:55 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Well you have another PM.& thanks for correcting my spelling do you have an app so I can spell check everything I type?

No, but a dictionary will work too.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:59 am

Grousehunter123 wrote:This is getting CRAZIER by the moment!!A dog runs into a dog on point, and the force of which almost causes a dog to: "darned near gets killed" ? It being so traumatic that the dog spent the rest of its life hunting alone because: "can no longer hunt in a brace "?This place is a ZOO for unbridled WHOPPERS!!
This and I glanced at some retrieving advice you tried to give in the midst of retrieving pros trying to help a guy, you aren't much of a trainer but you are a menace. I have contributed enough to your entertainment for now

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Chukar12 wrote:
Grousehunter123 wrote:This is getting CRAZIER by the moment!!A dog runs into a dog on point, and the force of which almost causes a dog to: "darned near gets killed" ? It being so traumatic that the dog spent the rest of its life hunting alone because: "can no longer hunt in a brace "?This place is a ZOO for unbridled WHOPPERS!!
This and I glanced at some retrieving advice you tried to give in the midst of retrieving pros trying to help a guy, you aren't much of a trainer but you are a menace. I have contributed enough to your entertainment for now

Don't slink off so quickly...

That post of mine is a summary of another persons story. I'm merely reframing the story. They teach that technique in remedial English.

The retrieving thread. If you did more than glance you will see that there is a lot of agreement in that thread.

Your mistake here I'm afraid is assuming this forum is off limits to anybody that does not have the "credentials" you so desperately are enamored with. You really need to get comfortable reading and accepting posts from all walks of life with all manner of perspective, experience and backgrounds. You will be A LOT happier if you will.

I seriously doubt the proprietors of this forum want the posts and involvement to be JUST from the heroes and "experts" you give godlike status to.

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Max2 wrote:Can anybody show up at a field trial & enter there dog ? or is it pretty formal and lot of rules & regulations that must be known before entering ? I was just curious knowing nothing about it . I remember when I got my first shorthair my breeder asked me what I intended on doing with him and was field trials in our future. My response was no that I just wanted to learn & raise a bird dog. I followed up my answer with "I am not a competitive person by nature" His response with a smile and slight laugh was for me to start trialing as he replied " you will become competitive" if I ever did try to compete it would not be for myself but for my pup . i think he would like it......
OP,

The answer to your question is no. Trials usually have a drawing done days in advance and it is unusual to allow someone in that just shows up unless it is a "fun trial" type event that MIGHT accommodate a walk in.

Yes, you are CORRECT...there are rules and regulations that for you to have a better first experience, you might want to brush up on and learn. Talking to folks, going online to find the rules, etc... will help.

I apologize for my part in derailing your thread. I'm sure you can see that you have been given good advice by several which ARE related to your question.

Here is where the problem may be....the field trial community is desperate for new entries and youth, yet they don't want your untrained dog (especially) interfering with their dog and cost them a placement. They are in a quandary. They want you there, want your money, don't want to discourage you but DONT want your dog interfering with theirs.

The story of the headbutting dog was not to discourage you from participating, I'm sure. But, my OPINION is that the "story" was conveyed to indirectly make new participants understand that they need their dogs trained and not unruly so that EVERYONE enjoys the event. My opinion, only.

I told my experience to show that it goes both ways. Yes, new guys MIGHT inadvertently negatively impact a trial dog. My story demonstrates that a professional trialer's methods DID impact my Gundog.

You are on the right track to realize that there are several layers of the field trial onion to peel back. Good luck with your prospect.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:47 pm

While FTing does not interest me as a participant, I would guess that if it did then there would be a learning curve to be accepted......in procedures, trialing realities and in the subtle pecking orders found in most every gathering of folks passionate about...whatever.
I suspect that curve can be too long for some, can give too much of an implication that a new fella or fellerette does not know...something and, does not mesh well with some personalities or fit with an individuals ultimate use for their birddog.
Horses and dogs for courses and trialers as well.
I will say that the few trials and trialers I have been around, folks have been very pleasant and inviting......but, I would suspect that a thick skin would be needed by anyone interested in learning the handshake.

I let a young setter of mine run in a trial SE of Dubois, Pa...just to see and to reduce the pickup drive from a trainer....he had some quail finds and one woodcock.
Of course, he did not place, as most dogs will find some birds on a field...it's not that difficult on a day with decent scenting conditions and cover and birds.
To a non-trailer, what places a dog is possessing the handling and manners and intangibles of pace and action in addition to bird sniffing that wil separate the dogs from the dogs that win.
I can see that some birdhunters or birdhunters birdy to complain would find those intangibles and niceties to be less important than bird sniffing alone...I do not.
They all make the dog...which is why I prefer washed-out of FTing setters for any bird hunting.
Not everyone should do gymnastics and not everyone should trial a dog.....I'm just glad that some do.

I hope the OP visits a trial and then decides if he would like to test the waters.....there would be many levels of trials available from which to choose....I also hope he does not let the possible boredom or agenda of any naysayers color his decision.
Good luck to him.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:56 pm

As a young lad I read all the outdoor magazines and especially the dog colums. I was thoroughly indoctrinated that there was a great divide between real hunting dogs and trial dogs - ne'er the twixt shall meet. I moved to an area near where trials were held and thought I should go see this spectacle for myself. Knowing nothing of the "sport" except that is was the antithesis of a hunting dog my buddy and I showed up at the breakaway of a fall derby stake with two white pointers on the line. We were explained to that the course went south across the next mile of barren grassland and it would be a tough walk. The whistle blew, one dog headed east and one west to be followed shortly by one handler and judge heading either direction. In a short grass prairie where you can see for miles we were soon left standing with nothing but empty space to view. We got back in our truck, headed home and gloated on the confirmation of our belief.
Fortunately for me I was not imprisoned by myself and I was not forced to live out the rest of my life ignorant to the correlation between what we had witnessed, a good trial dog and an excellent hunting dog. The world of trialling and it's intersection with the world of hunting is not an onion, but more like an oyster.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Grousehunter123 wrote:
Elkhunter wrote:
Grousehunter123 wrote:
Why do you hate fried chicken so much?

See what I did there? I threw out an outlandish question ASSUMING something about you that I have no idea about.
Dude almost every post you make is slamming FT dogs or FT. So not really that outlandish of a post IMO.
Last edited by Elkhunter on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Holy Cats ! What have I done ? :D this morning while sitting having my coffee reading GDF & not wanting to hyjack another posters thread which was something to do with the up coming field trial season. I asked could anyone enter a field trial on my own thread. Came home early because of weather checked emails & saw one from GDF stating someone answered my thread. Getting a little excited as i sometimes do :D when I logged in there were 44 replies ! I said oh my gosh ! Started off reading & it was all good . Then what happened ? :D Is this what my breeder meant when he smiled and laughed and said I would become competitive ? :D I think I will continue chasing grouse & woodcock :D Thank's for the serious answers. Was just intended as a serious question. Max will be 7 yrs young on the 28th of march .

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:08 pm

Check out if there are NSTRA trials in your area.