field trial question ?

x Bred Pointer

Re: field trial question ?

Post by x Bred Pointer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:10 am

Wyndancer wrote:Max2.....The thread has drug on and on, I can't even recall if you said you are competitive or not. And I'm not going back and looking. Plenty of people are competitive, nothing wrong with that. The question is how does that competitive person handle loosing? Because there is way more loosing than winning going on at a FT. The difference being that at a Hunt Test, everybody can be a "winner" if your dog does the work. You train the dog up to the standard you will run against, and if you punch the scorecard, somebody will hand you a ribbon...heck, they may hand a ribbon to every dog in that test level if they all punch the card.

But, that isn't how it works at a FT. There is only one winner....and sometimes nobody wins. So you have to go to a FT with a mindset that you will do the very best you can with your dog and let the chips fall where the may. And it is very helpful to always remember that the only person your dog really needs to please is....you. If the judges also like your dog, great....you'll be in the ribbons, maybe for the blue.

I've told people that one of the biggest difference I see between a FT and a HT is, at a HT you get to bring the dog YOU like. As long as he meet or exceeds the standard, you'll pass. You want to bring a 400 yard missile? Fine, as long as he does the work. Want to bring a handy 60-80 yard dog? Fine, as long as he does the work. Conversely at a FT, you need to bring a dog that the JUDGES like...and like more than every other dog in the stake, in order to win.
That is great advice right there. I notice the guys that show up for a trial and never come back again are usually the ones that get humbled easily. Some of us use it to train harder or take a second look at what we are working with. As Yogi Berra said "sometimes you have to be full of humbility." :P

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:12 am

QuillGordon wrote:
I am very relaxed, just get sick of reading people talk about something they know very little of is all.
Read this entire thread, wish I had the last twelve minutes of me life back (slow reader)
For the life of me Elk I have no idea why this appeals to ya...
Good luck anyhow...
Ha thanks Quill! Hounds are almost ready. I like riding me steed also!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 am

I find it of interest that many that claim to not be competitive are quick to tell you how many birds they take and how quickly they get a limit. Or how their dogs have never been bested in the field. And how quick they are to elbow you out of the way to take a shot.

Perhaps it is the formal competition with independent judges they don't like.

The reason I shoot sporting clays and field trial is I am very competitive, but do not believe competition has a place in the hunting fields. The killing of animals should not be reduced to that level. You hunt with me and I will let you fill your game bag first everytime. And you can walk along and watch me continue to enjoy the hunt after you got a limit.

Now the truly noncompetitive person with such high self esteem that they do not need affirmation from anyone at anytime deserves my respect, I will even agree they are higher evolved and more at peace with themselves. I am sure they keep more of the money they earn than I do. And are a joy to hunt with.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:49 am

Neil wrote:CJ,

I am trying to understand your experience. Are you saying if the pro had not taken your dog out with borderline interference you are sure you would have won? That the pro so feared that certain humiliating event that it was worth exposing his unsportsmanship to the judges and gallery? That recognizing your dog was so good, knowing he was sure to be beat, loosing him so many clients, he couldn't even take the chance of gaining your business with proper behavior? And this all so soured you on field trials that not only do you not participate, but you advise strangers to not?

Talk about the horseshoe nail costing the kingdom, that was one significant puppy stake.

Neil
I am going to take one last try at defending a position which everyone on here, especially you, know is right. But won't admit it.
The experience with my puppy is not the point. The trainer did what he needed to do to place. I do not fault him for that I do not have a issue with that it was a learning experience and if I tried it again I would have my dog prepared for the yelling and whistle blowing. When I send my dog off the line it is with the intention that he kicks your dogs butt if not ,more power to you. But I am going to try to the next time out and sooner or later if I try hard enough My dog will win. It is not destination it is the journey. The judge told me it was over handling but they normally don't call it in puppy stakes. The only gallery was the owners of the other puppy and they of course were pretty happy when their puppy got to the front. I was only there for the socializing and getting the pup accustomed to the horses for the test he was running the next weekend. I never said anything about winning or losing, But he very well may have won the brace since he was 75 yards to the front when the pro figured out he could shut him down. This did not sour me on trials and I have tried to make sure I explained that.I have been around for a long time ad it takes a lot to sour me on anything. I did advise him to go a route which gives him a much better chance to be successful and enjoy the game.
The whole thing is that is a nonevent except to point out what can happen.
Telling the OP he should try to trial 7 year old dog that is not steady to wing and shot at the amateur gun dog level or where ever he would have to start is has, I have pointed out several times, irresponsible to say the least. You know he has no chance of being competitive
With good luck he will get tired of getting beat up and quit or more likely some wanna be pro will pick him clean. You can tell me that does not happen but you know it does all the time.
Much better chance of him becoming a trialer if he starts where he can have some success in AKC Hunt tests' learns a bit and maybe goes on to a younger dog. Also I don't believe advised him he should. I hope not.
Just seen your last post there are not many things I do with the intention of losing. But if you win fair and square I salute you beware I intend to beat you next time and as I said earlier sooner or later I will' 'if I try hard enough. Thing is once I win it is not half has much fun as I thought it would be and I have to start a new journey. When I send my dog off the line In have no friends until it is over, it is All about " bring your best dog". Hunting is not about shooting I don't care who does that but I hope my dog has more finds than yours and looks better doing it ................Cj

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:31 am

Neil wrote:I find it of interest that many that claim to not be competitive are quick to tell you how many birds they take and how quickly they get a limit. Or how their dogs have never been bested in the field. And how quick they are to elbow you out of the way to take a shot.

The reason I shoot sporting clays and field trial is I am very competitive, but do not believe competition has a place in the hunting fields. The killing of animals should not be reduced to that level. You hunt with me and I will let you fill your game bag first everytime. And you can walk along and watch me continue to enjoy the hunt after you got a limit.

Now the truly noncompetitive person with such high self esteem that they do not need affirmation from anyone at anytime deserves my respect, I will even agree they are higher evolved and more at peace with themselves. I am sure they keep more of the money they earn than I do. And are a joy to hunt with.
Good post Neil!!

Charlie

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:40 am

birddogger wrote:
Neil wrote:I find it of interest that many that claim to not be competitive are quick to tell you how many birds they take and how quickly they get a limit. Or how their dogs have never been bested in the field. And how quick they are to elbow you out of the way to take a shot.

Good post Neil!!

Thank you Charlie, I was thinking of my son when I wrote the last paragraph and he is a true joy to hunt with.

Charlie

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:28 am

"Sniff" "sniff" I smell a troll.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:23 am

There are UFTA trials at Colonial Farms Hunting Preserve
1597 Scenery Drive, Elizabeth, PA on March 29/30 and April 26/27. Ther should be some trials at oak point preserve as well in Harrisburg but no dates posted yet. You can see the rules and schedules at www.ufta-online.com. These are live ammo timed events but don't let the sceptics convince you that you won't see quality dog work there. Think tailgate challenge between friends "if there were only three birds in that field, my dog would find them faster than yours, I wouldn't miss, and he would bring them all neatly to hand." You get compliments if he looks good doing it but they are tinted with some jest if he looks good but doesn't perform.