Overexcited pup

chrisss

Overexcited pup

Post by chrisss » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Took my 6 month old DD to his first vet check up and he wasn't responding to any commands and was going nuts. How would I calm him down? Or train him

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Overexcited pup

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:10 pm

An obedience class I believe is often worth the money. Actually that is very normal behaviour for a 6 month old. Training is a big story but all I can advise is to : follow through on every command every time. If you want him to sit and you've taught the command and you know he knows it: Say it once ; if he ignores you , get up and enforce it every time. Every time a dog gets away with disobedience , you've taken a step backwards. Concentrate on 3 or 4 commands : sit, come, off, leave it.

secret: They always misbehave at the vet so we look stupid. :)

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks. I was a little worried because I never seen him act like this until today.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:34 am

Sounds to me like a very smart dog who just didn't want to be there :D he's a kid yet. Sharon is spot on

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:40 am

Yup, Sharon is giving you great advice. You can teach lots of commands at home, but at class, you can teach the dog to focus on you when there is a room full of other people and dogs. Golden.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:56 am

You should also work on these commands in a lot of DIFFERENT areas. Dogs realize certain areas as training areas and obey commands in those areas. A pro told me "until the dog obeys the command in 7 or 8 different areas with different distractions, the dog isn't trained in that command".

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:09 am

Dogs can behave in funny ways in new environments. Along with Sharon suggestions, I would continue to take your pup to new places as often as you can, especially places with a lot of distractions such as other dogs, people, sounds etc. Encourage other people to check your dogs paws, ears, mouth/teeth, etc so long as it's safe for all involved and only when your dog is calm.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:38 pm

My dog is now 9mo and I still do have to deal with the occasional goofy over-excitement. I have found that if I take some energy out of the dog (exercise/fetch/whatever) before doing a little obedience work or if I know i'll be taking the dog somewhere I find I am much more successful.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Every dog I've ever had, when that young and thrown into a new environment - or sometimes for no discernible reason at all- will spaz out sometimes.