Help with 6 wk puppy

thadlo

Help with 6 wk puppy

Post by thadlo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Hello everyone, I am new here although I've been reading here for a few weeks. I am a new owner of a 6 wk. old French brit puppy. I have had him for 2 days now. Its a long story but we acquired him from a bad situation and his mom got very sick so we took one of the puppies in. We are not a hunting family. I hope you will still offer me advice. We live on 5 acres in the country, not fenced, and I have 5 kids including 2 disabled toddlers. I haven't raised a puppy in a long long time and I really want to do right by this boy.
Here are some issues I'm facing and not sure how to best handle them.
1. He is always chasing our feet, grabbing pant legs, socks, etc. and pulling/biting
I've been grabbing him by the collar and saying a sharp "no" then letting go when he does. He sometimes will let go, sometimes not. He will jump up on my little girls and grab ahold of their pant legs and hang on.

2. Going outside - I carry him out to his "spot" and set him down telling him to "go potty". Sometimes he'll go right away, other times he runs, plays, runs back for the door. I haven't put a leash outside on him yet because in the house when I've put it on he is very distracted by it and bites at it, pulls, etc. How long do I give him outside before taking him in and trying again later? Sometimes I'll stand out there for 10 - 15 min. while he plays and ignores me.

3. He seems to be very aloof to me. I get on the floor and clap, or pat the floor, click my tongue, whistle, etc and for the most part am ignored. I have not started asking him to "come" because I am not sure how/when to begin. Outside too he could care less if he sees me or not - he just does his thing playing and exploring.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, pointers, tips, etc. Thank you for your time!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Sounds like a normal pup, stay consistent and patient.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Help with 6 wk puppy

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Here are some articles I wrote http://www.kninebirddog.com/articles.html
One thing I would highly suggest is putting up a fenced area for your pup.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:07 am

Is there any chance you can either get another puppy from the litter or keep him with some of the littermates for another month? He will be missing out on a lot of crucial development between 6 and 10 weeks old. It sounds like he came from a bad situation - which will be a lot worse because he doesn't have that daily interaction with littermates and an adult dog that can discipline him. You'll be behind a lot because he won't learn puppy interaction, bite inhibition, how to submit to the adult.... I'd try to get another pup (or the whole litter) and keep them together until 10 weeks if at all possible. I would do everything I could to make that happen, as he'll learn a lot more from them than he would from you at this age.

Short of that, you're stuck with having to discipline him for every little bite and nip - which the parent or the other siblings would normally teach him. You'll have to really teach him about other dogs as he grows too. He won't have a clue on how to handle interactions with other pups or adults because he did not learn it in the litter.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:51 am

My first thought is take him back to the litter for at least 2 more weeks. But I am sure the litter is all broken up and sent on their separate ways. :(
So next option is get registered for a puppy class. Most will need at least 2 sets of vaccs though so you have a few weeks before you start.

The problems you are having are normal. But the solutions to some will be harder due to the puppy leaving the litter so early.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:24 am

Im going to assume that the litter is split up and you can't get the pups all back together for a few more weeks.

1. This is a bird dog puppy, they are bred to hunt. Moving pant legs, feet, socks etc.. are all fair game at this point in the pups mind. Focus that attention to hard toys or something more suited for puppy teeth. I start making it a point that the pup cant put its mouth on me as soon as we meet, my method is to roll its lip into its mouth apply slight pressure so that when the pup bites down he is biting his own lip. I am sure there are a ton of other methods, like what knine suggests in his article, this one just seems to work for me, because the pup is basically punishing himself for biting.

2. Again, this is a puppy we are talking about, one that you have had only two days. He does not know what potty means. I took my dogs out every two or so hours when they were puppies, and then after every meal I would take them out until they did their business.

3. He is just checking out the world around him, remember he is only six weeks old. He will come around soon enough, just let him explore, have fun with him when he comes over too you.

I would suggest sitting down and seriously think about re-homing this pup. You have two disabled toddlers; toddlers tend to get knocked over by exuberant pups. I know I have been sent flying by my dogs and I would bet I am not the only one on here, and I am much larger than a toddler.

I'm not saying that you are a bad parent, or you cant raise a pup. I don't know you personally so I can't make that judgement. But if I were in your shoes I would take a long hard look at my situation and figure out if a bird dog pup is the right puppy for me at this time.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:27 pm

thadlo wrote:Hello everyone, I am new here although I've been reading here for a few weeks. I am a new owner of a 6 wk. old French brit puppy. I have had him for 2 days now. Its a long story but we acquired him from a bad situation and his mom got very sick so we took one of the puppies in. We are not a hunting family. I hope you will still offer me advice. We live on 5 acres in the country, not fenced, and I have 5 kids including 2 disabled toddlers. I haven't raised a puppy in a long long time and I really want to do right by this boy.
Here are some issues I'm facing and not sure how to best handle them.
1. He is always chasing our feet, grabbing pant legs, socks, etc. and pulling/biting
I've been grabbing him by the collar and saying a sharp "no" then letting go when he does. He sometimes will let go, sometimes not. He will jump up on my little girls and grab ahold of their pant legs and hang on.

2. Going outside - I carry him out to his "spot" and set him down telling him to "go potty". Sometimes he'll go right away, other times he runs, plays, runs back for the door. I haven't put a leash outside on him yet because in the house when I've put it on he is very distracted by it and bites at it, pulls, etc. How long do I give him outside before taking him in and trying again later? Sometimes I'll stand out there for 10 - 15 min. while he plays and ignores me.

3. He seems to be very aloof to me. I get on the floor and clap, or pat the floor, click my tongue, whistle, etc and for the most part am ignored. I have not started asking him to "come" because I am not sure how/when to begin. Outside too he could care less if he sees me or not - he just does his thing playing and exploring.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, pointers, tips, etc. Thank you for your time!

Everything you mentioned is perfectly normal for a 6 week old pup. You can't treat him like an 8 week+ old pup.

He would have learned from his Mom in the litter about biting/ grabbing etc.He didn't have a chance to.The girls shouldn't yell at him or hit his mouth. Remove him gently and carry on for now. At 8 weeks + you can be a little more forceful at removing him from the leg.
He shouldn't have the run of the house, but be kept in the kitchen or ..........This will also give the young girls some time without pup bugging them - use baby gates if necessary.

Potty training will definitely be hit and miss for many weeks. Expect it. Expect accidents.

Good of you to give him a chance but don't be too tough yet .(Should be being fed 3 times a day.)

PS
At 8weeks +
http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/dogsocialization.pdf
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thadlo

Post by thadlo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply. There is no litter to return him to, and no mama as has also been rehomed as well as being very ill. We do have an older small dog that is somewhat patient with the puppy but does have his limits and will let the pup know he's gone too far.
I will definitely read the links provided. I want to do right by this dog. We all adore him and he has already had a rough start.
I know some (many) folks here don't appreciate gun dogs being strictly family pets. I get that but I do appreciate you taking time to offer help. I have no illusions of this dog being a "couch" dog.
Keep the advice coming!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Biggest thing is that you give the pup a leader in his pack and that you give him something to do. Give him direction or he will direct himself. When you go for walks do things change directions don't just let the walks be mindless time.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:41 pm

If the past living conditions weren't very clean, pup might have picked up a urinary tract infection since the pup is going to the bathroom so much. This is just a thought since older dogs that have this (going to the bathroom frequently) problem are usually checked for a UTI. Good luck

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:51 pm

thadlo wrote:Thanks everyone for taking time to reply. There is no litter to return him to, and no mama as has also been rehomed as well as being very ill. We do have an older small dog that is somewhat patient with the puppy but does have his limits and will let the pup know he's gone too far.
I will definitely read the links provided. I want to do right by this dog. We all adore him and he has already had a rough start.
I know some (many) folks here don't appreciate gun dogs being strictly family pets. I get that but I do appreciate you taking time to offer help. I have no illusions of this dog being a "couch" dog.
Keep the advice coming!
You may be surprised what he turns into. There is absolutely no reason not to have him be a family pet. But you will not be able to house train him yet. Puppies that age are four legged peeing machines. The same reason why year old babies wear diapers. He is going to bite for a of couple weeks yet. Don't be too hard but get him started knowing what is not acceptable.....Cj

ozrider81

Post by ozrider81 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:26 pm

6 weeks is bit young to be removed from a litter, we got a wiemarner pup at 6 weeks 16yrs ago and she never settled was flighty and over anxious she never progressed to be nothing more then a house dog even though she was exceptional was swimming by 14weeks retrieving dummies very birdy but flighty and extrememly gun shy.

I was am the only one that bonded with my britt for first 2-4weeks taking him outside toilet training feeding him now he will lay between my legs or stay with me all the time built a good bond with him.

toilet training is done over days weeks, working on timing and reward when I'm training (my britt is 17 weeks atm and all but toilet trained) it was consistently when wakes up from a nap we go outside with a single command i walk outside with him using the word "Toilet" then heap the praise and treat when relieved himself. I never had a set point for him to use as toilet i never seen a real point as long as they learn about outside is toilet.

Treats food praise are your best friend and basic recalling can be best friend, i learnt and got taught something smelly like bit chicken in your fingers teasin ( not actual tease) pup with a taste of treat to get their attention

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Disclaimer - I have no relevant experience here...

Would it be useful for the OP to find another party with a litter of similarly aged/sized puppies of any breed and stick his pup in with them for a few weeks to be better socialized?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:37 pm

41magsnub wrote:Disclaimer - I have no relevant experience here...

Would it be useful for the OP to find another party with a litter of similarly aged/sized puppies of any breed and stick his pup in with them for a few weeks to be better socialized?
no.......................Cj

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:47 pm

thadlo wrote:Thanks everyone for taking time to reply. There is no litter to return him to, and no mama as has also been rehomed as well as being very ill. We do have an older small dog that is somewhat patient with the puppy but does have his limits and will let the pup know he's gone too far.
Keep the advice coming!
This pup being a gundog wont matter here in my experience.You have already rescued a pup that alone should be admired.You are going to have a couple rough months with your little guy.Losing sleep is the worst part.Crate him,take him out as often as you must,that means through the night.The two in my avatar we got at the same time,i was a zombie for 6 weeks till they both slept through the night.

Now for the good news,you have a wonderful breed of dog for your family.The last dog i had before we got our pups was a French Brittany.Cody was the best. Even in his old age when he went blind he had a sweet personality and dealt with his blindness better than i did. I never hunted him as he had a bad experience with fireworks when he was young.So he was a house dog,a great companion,and went everywhere with me.
If you want to get anything done around the house,crate the pup.In fact the pup for the near future should spend a good amount of time in his crate.Let him out to do his buisness,a little romper-room time and back in the crate.As he gets older he gets more freedom.

Britt pups can be a handfull,you have to be the boss at all times.For biting we stick our thumb in the pups mouth and press down.They dont like it. Be consistant,this is hard to do but consistancy is very important

DougB

Post by DougB » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:10 pm

Call your local rescue organization and see if they can recommend a good puppy kindergarten class. I just finished a 6 wk course with my pup, and he learned a fair bit about socialization with other pups. You also have an experienced person handy to talk with. The classes also left the pup exhausted, meaning I got a full nights sleep.

My pup is going on about 5 months now, and the house training is taking effect. Almost like a switch was thrown. But I still get up early to let him out for a bit.

The crate is a great tool to use, and can be found at garage sales. Helps with house training, lets you sleep without fear, and provides a safe nest for the pup away from kids.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:01 am

cjhills wrote:

Thank you for that very illuminating and educational response!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:42 am

41magsnub wrote:
cjhills wrote:

Thank you for that very illuminating and educational response!
If this dog came into rescue that is exactly what we would do with it - try to find another litter to incorporate the pup into for the next 4 weeks. That would need to be a very supervised situation and the mom would have to accept the puppy, if not, it wouldn't work.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Sorry . 41 Magsub. But I think I answered the question several times.
I have seen litters where the puppies will not accept outside puppy. I have seen puppies from the same litter not accepted when they had to leave the litter for a few days.
This is all making a mountain out of a mole hill. If he gives the puppy a dry place to sleep and access to a play and bathroom area he will be fine. He needs some time to assess his situation and get accustom to it. They have a older dog to give him some dog experience. In a few weeks he will be bonded with the family and old enough to except training. Also the Op will not be driving himself crazy and wasting his time trying to house break a puppy that is not ready. He has no self control at this time. Again it is the same reason we use diapers on babies.
I would like to hear how things are going.................Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Thadlo, where are you located? - maybe someone here who's raised gundog pups is local for you, and can show you some things in-home about getting through this unfortunate situation.

Also, travails like yours with a 6-week-old suddenly and forcibly weaned puppy is what breed rescue's there for. At least one of the things rescue's there for, anyhow. So you should get onto Brittany rescue straight away.

You really shouldn't have a pup that young in the company of another dog, especially an unrelated older dog. You won't get the pup into any obedience classes either - not until it's 13 weeks old and has had the last of its puppy shots. Any puppy class that would allow you in with it before then, it's irresponsible, and I would be very wary of. Too much liability from every angle.

Again, where are you located? And did I mention that if you haven't gotten through the Brittany parent club - not the French Brittany parent club - the Brittany parent club for help, you need to make that call ASAP. Also heed what Sharon's told you about the young'uns and the potty-training - though you could nip both in the bud if you start crate-training as soon as you can. Crate training with consistency "will take a load off, Annie, and put the load right on" ye and yours in a good way for responsibly rearing a pup.

MG

thadlo

Post by thadlo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Hello all, well one week in and I am still surviving! The puppy is doing good. He spends time in his crate at night, when I'm out, and when I can't watch him closely. He is a peeing machine though as mentioned above! Some times he will be dry in his crate after 2 - 3 hrs and other times he'll be soaked after only 15 min. I take him out every 30 min or so when I'm home plus after every nap, meal, or hard play.
He has been good in his crate till today. Only a little whining. Holy moly though today he found lungs! The crying and and howling goes for hrs. He barely quits enough for me to get him out while quiet. When I leave/come home and he hears the door he really starts up - I am torn because if I get him right away he is crying and pawing at the door but sometimes still dry. If I wait till he settles - which can take a bit of time - he usually wets. I think I'm going to get a play yard to set up and make part his bed with his crate, and part where he can "go" if needed. His crate is small so if he wets, he lays in it.
He is a delightful little dog so far. We are enjoying him but I do admit I am stressed over the peeing.
I live in SW Michigan for those who were wondering.
Thanks again for all the help. Keep it coming - I devour every word.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Sounds like you are doing quite well. You will be amazed how much of a burden the play area system will take off of your shoulders. that is why the small crate theory does not work the puppy does not have a choice. One problem is the dog learns to lay in his pee. The puppy will learn not to go in his crate and you can delay the serious house training until he is old enough to get it. You will be farther at ten weeks if you wait to the serious training. When you take him out and he goes give him a lot of praise. It is not complicated. He will start bonding with you and want to be with you. Use that all you can for training. I also use a lot of treats on puppies. It is not as hard as some people make it Good Luck............. CJ

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Thadlo,

I, personally, wouldn't worry as much about the rule not to let him out if he's crying above the need for him to be cleaner in his crate. The first thing a pup does when he wakes is pees - so if you wake him by coming in the door or in the a.m., you have to snatch him up very quickly and get him out. I know that might be counter-productive to the idea of him getting out if he cries, but I find that the less opportunity you give him to soil his space, the better off you are in the long run. I really don't think he can even hold it minutes at this age - at 10 weeks, then you might have a minute or two - but not for a few more weeks, I'd say. The foster pups I deal with really can't handle themselves at all with potty training until almost 3 months old. I've been peed on many times by little ones that I'm carrying outside. I don't ever let them walk out of the crate - I pick them up as soon as they wake and they are carried out. When they get to the 3 month or so stage, I do let them walk themselves to the door - and most of the time they make it! You'll do fine with this little one, just have a lot of patience and be sure you're investing in a good enzymatic cleaner for all the "accident" spots in the house or he'll start eventually smelling the spots and continuing to use those areas. I like Nature's Miracle.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Get him checked for a urinary tract infection.