Debating getting started with pigeons

Fithunter

Debating getting started with pigeons

Post by Fithunter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:24 pm

Trying to save some money and am thinking of getting a small coop of homer pigeons for training.

A couple concerns:

I have a couple areas of where I train and one is about 25 miles from my house. I have a knowledgeable guy I can buy young pigeons from and he will advise me on how to train them to home to my coup. My first big concern, is 25 miles too far for the birds to fly back to?

Second I live in the city and my yard is not huge. How messy will the cage be/smell and will it negatively affect my dogs training/hunting since she has access to the area of the yard where the pen will be?

Lastly, my buddies dad has a farm very close to the dog training area and said I could set up a coop on his farm. I would have to do all maintenance and feeding ect (rightfully so). I was planning on only going down there twice a week to train. Would this be enough to care for and feed and water the pigeons?

Rod W

Re: Debating getting started with pigeons

Post by Rod W » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:43 am

I guess I would opt for the farm, altho either would work. I used to leave my feed and water accessable all of the time for the birds so twice a week would work.In the winter put a heater/ light bulb under the water to avoid freezing. Smell if the coop is in the backyard is minimal. The problem that will be encountered in town is the pigeons always landing on the neighbors roofs!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:16 am

I would sooner have them where I can take care of them and enjoy them. Ours are in the backyard, no smell, and they do not land on our or the neighbors house. They are let out to fly most everyday in the summer and spend a lot of those days out on the loft roof or on the shed right next to the lofts. Really enjoy watching them. Even the neighbors some over and watch them.

Ezzy

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 am

I agree that either place will work, but there are certainly some things to consider. If you want to keep them in town talk to the neighbors first. Also be sure to check with the city concerning ordinances.

Keeping the birds out of town would be convenient for training, but it will likely cost you extra time and fuel in the long run. I used to buy dog birds from an elderly gentleman who used to race and sell fancy birds. He finally gave it up because of the expense of driving 50 miles twice / week to feed. He also wasn't able to clean up after and care for them as much as he would have liked.

Consider partnering up with another dog owner or trainer. Shared duties in bird tending may be the most practical solution.

Good luck,
Nate