Grooming my Britts

Hoosierdaddy

Grooming my Britts

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:45 am

I an just wondering how everyone has their dogs fur trimmed,for summer,and fall.Where we live there are tons of cockelburr and stick-tights. I took the dogs out a couple days ago and had to spend an hour raking this stuff out of their coats.They get tired of that stuff pretty quickly.I must have a half dozen different combs and brushs for the dogs,but none of them are very good for removing Cockelburrs.So its time for a haircuts for them both. Thanks.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Grooming my Britts

Post by DonF » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:06 am

Just did my guy's yesterday but i don't do it very good. I'll spend several days trying to fix it. Oster A5 clipper with a #10, #4F and #4 skip tooth blades. Reg hair scissors and thinning scissors.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:17 am

If you shave them down, their coats will probably grow in finer, more cottony and will attract more burrs than you ever considered possible (ask me how I know). Just be sure you are ready for the permanent commitment of keeping them shaved down before doing it.

If they're spayed/neutered, you may already be dealing with the fluffy, cottony burr magnet coat, so shaving won't make much difference, but I find with intact dogs, a little show sheen (for horses) and the burrs just slide right out.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:47 am

I dont want to shave them it is still pretty cold here.Plus when i have shaved my dogs in the past,they dont look like Britts anymore.I think just shorter fur might make cleaning them up after feild work a tad easier.I wont be attempting any haircuts on the dogs,I will screw it up for sure,and my wife would not be pleased.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:14 am

I usually go to a farm store or walmart and buy the cheapest electric trimmers they have(around $32). They come with heads that snap on the clippers that hold the blade up 1/4", 1/2", or 3/4" which ever you snap on the clippers--they work good enough for my dogs :lol: . I can usually get 4 britts done---then I throw them away and get a new set for next year(you can get replacement blades for them plus postage, but it is about the price on new clippers, so I just get the new clippers). I use round nose scissors around their ears. It is fairly easy to comb burrs out of 1/2" hair.

PS You won't win any shows using this method :roll:

BirdCrazy

Post by BirdCrazy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 am

My easy solution... shorthaired dogs.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Darn it BirdCrazy, I was going to say:

Step one: get a shorthaired dog.

Problem solved.

Gotta love those little brittanys though - they are firecrackers.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Just shave them. Problem solved. Mine has been getting shaved since she was a year old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:26 pm

I trim the feathers around the ears and legs.