Kennel issues

chrisss

Kennel issues

Post by chrisss » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:09 am

My dog understands the kennel command but hates going in there. How should I go about making him love the kennel?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Kennel issues

Post by Karen » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:28 am

Feed him in it, and never use it for punishment.

thelast2

Post by thelast2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:45 am

My dog understands the kennel command but hates going in there. How should I go about making him love the kennel?
Not sure how old the dog is, typically as a young pup they are introduced to the crate and spend a considerable amount of time in them. Generally I would set the kennel in close proximity of where I spend most of my time while in the house leaving the door open so they can go in and out as they please. Gives them a sense of comfort when they can see you and are close to there master much like when they lay at your feet. I usually leave kennel in that spot at least for the first few months until they have grown comfortable being in it.Though as was previously mentioned never use the kennel as punishment for misdeeds. Might try having the dog kennel before receiving his favorite high value treat which will turn the kennel into a place where good things happen. Don't force the issue, make sure the dog knows you have the treat and don't give it until he complies by getting in the kennel. Do this for awhile without closing the door, just make a habit of the dog kenneling before receiving the treat. Use lots of praise when the dog complies. Feeding them in the kennel might also work though I would set the bowl in the kennel and leave the door open rather than closing them in, again making the kennel a place where good things happen.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:44 pm

I have two Britts,they are now about 18 months old.My male hates his crate and always has.My female loves her crate and always has. Nothing to worry about as far as i am concerned.One just likes the crate better than the other.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Karen wrote:Feed him in it, and never use it for punishment.
+1

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:01 pm

My dogs get a biscuit every time they go in. I have six dogs. I buy them by the 20 lb box. You better get out of the way when I say kennel!

I agree kennel is a safe place.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Also consider giving a treat dispensing toy like the "Buster Cube" or "IQ Treat Ball" and filling with a mix of regular food and very good smelling favorite small treats while in the crate. This takes some time for them to finish and keeps them busy while also being fun.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:36 am

Are we talking a crate in the house, outdoor kennel or a dog box on a vehicle?

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:50 am

birddog1968 wrote:Are we talking a crate in the house, outdoor kennel or a dog box on a vehicle?
Im talking about all dog boxes. He hates it even when he knows we are going somewhere he trust his best to avoid going in there

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:21 am

I see, I was thinking it might just be the truck, I've got one that hates getting on the truck, but the truck is the issue not the box.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Mine won't get load up in the van if the exhaust is coming out. :roll: Must think I'm planning on carbon monoxiding them to death.:)

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:17 am

My dogs are taught to kennel up from day 1. Everything is the "kennel", crate, outdoor kennel, the truck. They learn to tolerate it. That being said I have one that will not jump on to the tail gate of my truck, no matter what I do.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:43 am

Does the dog sleep in there? I had a similar issue, pup would cry if he was kennels during the day, but not at night. They anticipate what to expect , daytime isn't forever but night time is. Never had the issue with truck box. Make it fun and positive.

Sharon I had a dog that hated smoke of all kinds. Exhaust, fire, cigarette, when he would get the first wiff he would wince, snort then Move off and sigh.