Advise needed

setter50

Advise needed

Post by setter50 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:10 am

I have a 3 year old English Setter who has turned out to be a really good dog in the field. Because of his bloodlines and ability I have not gotten him fixed in case I found a suitable female at some point in time when I want a second dog. Last week I went on a spring break vacation and I kenneled my dog with a friend. My friend has graciously offered his second dog run on numerous occasions when we are out of town. My friend has a two year old female German Shorthair and she apparently was coming into heat which he discovered after my dogs stay. Not knowing about his female he let our two dogs out to run and play. He does not believe our dogs mated but they were in contact and there is the possibility. If our dogs did breed here are my questions.

1. What are my responsibilities to the owner of the female dog? Is this my litter, his litter, or is it our litter?

2. Both dogs are family dogs so being responsible with the litter is our only option? Should we use rescue? Humane society? Advertise?

3. What are the possibilities of good field dogs?

I'm hoping we don't have a problem here but in case we do I want to be prepared.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Advise needed

Post by DonF » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:16 am

Sounds to me like something two friends should and can work out together.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:18 am

There shouldn't be a litter.....

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:35 am

To preserve a friendship I would work something out with your friend, but IMHO it is his responsibility. He should know when his female is coming into season and keep her separated from an intact male. I would not try to keep any of the dogs from that litter.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:50 am

lugmastro wrote:To preserve a friendship I would work something out with your friend, but IMHO it is his responsibility. He should know when his female is coming into season and keep her separated from an intact male. I would not try to keep any of the dogs from that litter.
I sincerely hope that they did not mate, but the above poster is spot on.

If the sire and dam were good hunting dogs there is every reason to believe that any pups would also be good hunters. However, since they would be, essentially, mutts... any pups from such a mating would very likely be difficult to place.

RayG

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:41 am

Hopefully was to early in the cycle. I miss counted long ago with my gsp. Found her hooked up with one of my 85lb grayhounds. Not being a breeder the decision was easy. I called the vet, explained, and had her spayed. Problem solved.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:47 am

I agree with the above - there shouldn't be a litter. I would have the female spayed if I was in that situation - or find an alternative to having the litter. It's hard enough to find responsible homes for purebred, registered, proven dogs. As a foster parent for several dog rescues, I can't support carrying through with an "oops" litter. There are already too many registered, purebred puppies and dogs ending up in shelters.

If you end up with a litter - do your best to be sure the pups go to responsible homes that won't be letting their dogs have puppies, since they'll be droppers.