puppy spacing

greg jacobs

puppy spacing

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:27 pm

I have a 10 month old gsp. She is pestering my old couch potato Rot to no end wanting him to play. I suggested to the wife that we get her a playmate. To my surprise she agreed. Wow! Now that's a great wife. I have always spaced them 5 or 6 years apart so I have at least 1 in their prime. We live with them in the house, so they will be together most of the time. How long should I wait so I don't have problems. The girl I have now was the dominant female of the litter. I had one of the last picks. Everyone else had dodged her. Lucky me (sarcasm). Although it's going great. I'm thinking I should get a male. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg Jacobs

agilityHBIC

Re: puppy spacing

Post by agilityHBIC » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:46 pm

I like 2-3 years between my dogs personally. However, I have friends who have dogs 8 months-one year apart who are fabulous as well.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:42 pm

My lab and GSP are about a year apart and they are good friends.

But normally I also look for more time in between. But the right puppies come when they come. I have never been good at scheduling my "habit"

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35 pm

In an ideal world, if I was only going to have two hunting dogs, I'd space them 3-4 years apart. However, this is a do as I say, not as I do. We have a load of dogs - 6 now inside. The one thing I would steer clear of is getting a puppy with another dog that isn't broke. I passed on a great litter just recently because I have an 8 month old pup now. I want to get him started and give him most of my attention for his first two years in the field, so I won't be getting another puppy until this boy is broke and has 2 seasons at least under his belt. Training two youngsters at once is a lot harder than just tuning up a dog and then working a pup. I will tell you that I am ecstatic to have several broke dogs that I can hunt with and just enjoy, instead of always "training" and worrying about them.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:13 pm

It also depends on how much time you have . If I have a 10 month old requiring heavy training time and a pup needing heavy socialization time it can be hard to find all that time.

PS Same situation here - a 13 year old and an 8 month old.( Continually wants to harrass the 13 year old to play. ( 8 year old would take the pup on but is laid up.)

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:56 pm

It's easy to let emotions over ride common sense. Yes, finish this one before starting the next. I'm a way's out. This one is a little on the lively side. The wife and I took a walk in the sagebrush tonight. She ended up out of hearing range no e collar on a little white dot cresting the hill. She is going to need my full attention for this next year.