Running Style/gaite?

CTPaul

Running Style/gaite?

Post by CTPaul » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Excuse the spelling as I have no idea the proper spelling but I am curious what a good running style or gaite looks like in comparison to a poor gaite. I've read on a few posts that some trial judges (never been involved so I'm just curious) look for a good stylish running dog. I have my first setter now so I'm curious about how he runs. What should i be looking for? Any videos out on the Web I could use for comparison?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:38 pm

Just snappy running high head and tail happily cracking.....as far as actual gaits you just need to see a bunch of dogs running to see what different gaits look like

Soarer31

Re: Running Style/gaite?

Post by Soarer31 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:10 pm

My last hunting companion ( now retired )had the worst gate I've ever seen in a hunting dog he'd run like a camel, but had such a big ticker, would hunt from dawn to dusk , still use him to help train the rookies though

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:47 pm

With pointers, there are several different gaits that you might see.

The first common gait is where the dog runs and its motion is a bit like a rocking horse...up and down. This is not the most efficient gait as the up and down motion is wasteful of energy. However it is a relatively smooth gait and fairly easy on the dogs anatomy, and some dogs can go for a long time in this type of gait. You very often will see these dogs running with active, merry tails. The dog may or may not hammer the ground in this gait.

The next common gait is more of an all age gait. The dog reaches out with its front legs and literally grabs air. It then pulls in and extends out the back. The dog seems to glide along so smoothly that it might seem it could carry a glass of water on its back without spilling any. Typically dogs that run with this gait have tails that extend out and sort of "float" at or slightly above the horizontal. This is an extreme speed gait. the closest thing I have seen to this gait is videos of a cheetah in full chase. In this gait, most dogs are fairly light of foot and are built long and lean...sort of "houndy". This is probably the most efficient gait and it may seem effortless to the eye, but the dog is really haulin' butt.

The last common gait that I see is what I call a "cover dog" gait. This is a very active, very sprightly, short coupled gait which is very effective in heavy and mixed cover , where the dog has to be agile, has to to change direction frequently due to running around trees, bushes, etc. as opposed to stretching out and just covering ground as in the first two gaits. The dogs' feet often appear to be a blur, they are moving so fast. However, the length of the stride is much shorter so the dog is actually not going THAT fast. It is much more of a "quick" than fast. There is, very often, a great deal of snap, crackle and pop in this gait, with a high degree of tail action. It is a VERY attractive gait. Dogs that have this gait are most often more squarely built, as opposed to long and again, they (ideally) may run with a very light, deft touch of the feet, but some do hammer the ground and can really fling the mud.

RayG

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Very informative, thanks. Soarer I had a GSP like that, goofy, clunky but full of heart. This new setter is all bird machine though so I'm contemplating a fall trial. Just looking to learn more about what to look for going in.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:06 pm

"The next common gait is more of an all age gait. The dog reaches out with its front legs and literally grabs air. It then pulls in and extends out the back. The dog seems to glide along so smoothly that it might seem it could carry a glass of water on its back without spilling any. Typically dogs that run with this gait have tails that extend out and sort of "float" at or slightly above the horizontal. This is an extreme speed gait. the closest thing I have seen to this gait is videos of a cheetah in full chase. In this gait, most dogs are fairly light of foot and are built long and lean...sort of "houndy". This is probably the most efficient gait and it may seem effortless to the eye, but the dog is really haulin' butt."

Ray, you described my female Holly to a T here. She is fast and seems to never tire. Also, her tail floats, but with some cover, it rides high.

Soarer31

Re:

Post by Soarer31 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:38 am

CTPaul wrote:Very informative, thanks. Soarer I had a GSP like that, goofy, clunky but full of heart. This new setter is all bird machine though so I'm contemplating a fall trial. Just looking to learn more about what to look for going in.
Yeah exactly ! Goofy , clunky, mines a pointer , his legs are as thick as tree trunks, hiis paws are twice the size of a standard pointer , swims like a polar bear, the breeder couldn't give him away he was so ugly, got him at 4 months( his 12 years old now)totally Fearless hunter ,would hunt everything , retrieve anything I ask of him,ducks, hares , rabbits, foxes
would take him quail hunting one weekend and my sons would take him pig shooting the next weekend
Tell ya, ill be shedding a tear or two when he rolls over

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:29 am

Ray, you should be writing for dog magazines. Your description of dog gaits paints a very accurate picture for the reader, and makes it easy to pick out the features of each style of movement. I have 3 Britts, and each one fits into one of your categories. Thanks so much for your valuable input on the forum. Your willingness to share your knowledge, and your ability to describe things is really helpful.

reba

Post by reba » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Dog Locomotion and Gait Analysis by Curtis Brown (1986);

Your Athletic Dog by Suzanne Clothier (1995);

The Dog in Action by McDowell Lyon (1950; 1978) [published first in VIP
Newsletter (2006). 14(6): 10-11.]

I worked for Curtis Brown back in 1972.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:22 pm

RayGubernat wrote:With pointers, there are several different gaits that you might see.

The first common gait is where the dog runs and its motion is a bit like a rocking horse...up and down. This is not the most efficient gait as the up and down motion is wasteful of energy. However it is a relatively smooth gait and fairly easy on the dogs anatomy, and some dogs can go for a long time in this type of gait. You very often will see these dogs running with active, merry tails. The dog may or may not hammer the ground in this gait.

The next common gait is more of an all age gait. The dog reaches out with its front legs and literally grabs air. It then pulls in and extends out the back. The dog seems to glide along so smoothly that it might seem it could carry a glass of water on its back without spilling any. Typically dogs that run with this gait have tails that extend out and sort of "float" at or slightly above the horizontal. This is an extreme speed gait. the closest thing I have seen to this gait is videos of a cheetah in full chase. In this gait, most dogs are fairly light of foot and are built long and lean...sort of "houndy". This is probably the most efficient gait and it may seem effortless to the eye, but the dog is really haulin' butt.

The last common gait that I see is what I call a "cover dog" gait. This is a very active, very sprightly, short coupled gait which is very effective in heavy and mixed cover , where the dog has to be agile, has to to change direction frequently due to running around trees, bushes, etc. as opposed to stretching out and just covering ground as in the first two gaits. The dogs' feet often appear to be a blur, they are moving so fast. However, the length of the stride is much shorter so the dog is actually not going THAT fast. It is much more of a "quick" than fast. There is, very often, a great deal of snap, crackle and pop in this gait, with a high degree of tail action. It is a VERY attractive gait. Dogs that have this gait are most often more squarely built, as opposed to long and again, they (ideally) may run with a very light, deft touch of the feet, but some do hammer the ground and can really fling the mud.

RayG
Ray, you add a lot of good information on this forum and I appreciate that. In reading your post above, I was visualizing my own dogs as well as to where they fit.

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:56 pm

reba wrote:Dog Locomotion and Gait Analysis by Curtis Brown (1986);

Your Athletic Dog by Suzanne Clothier (1995);

The Dog in Action by McDowell Lyon (1950; 1978) [published first in VIP
Newsletter (2006). 14(6): 10-11.]

I worked for Curtis Brown back in 1972.
His book is my favorite (Curtis Brown), I would have loved to have spent time with him.

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the insights.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Ray good post, what about those what I call powerfull gates the ones that just scream raw power, heart, detemanation would you say they fit in to the third type you mention or is that one of its own. I see it with more in muscular built stowt dogs, I call them 6'2 250 linebacker blue collar dog compared to the 6'4 250 LB god sent dog which is that what you call the effortless gate.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:26 pm

I'm also speaking of Gsps

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:29 pm

Hattrick wrote:Ray good post, what about those what I call powerfull gates the ones that just scream raw power, heart, detemanation would you say they fit in to the third type you mention or is that one of its own. I see it with more in muscular built stowt dogs, I call them 6'2 250 linebacker blue collar dog compared to the 6'4 250 LB god sent dog which is that what you call the effortless gate.

I have seen the same dog do an absolute all age gait in open terrain and close it down in a more wooded and heavier cover terrain. Interestingly, the dog which ran with a floating tail in open country will, many times, start to exhibit a much more active, merry tail when it slows down a touch in the heavier cover. I'm not entirely sure if the tail action is a result of the dog slowing down or of the dog having to shorten its gait to negotiate the obstacles in the thicker terrain. It might be both.

As far as the powerhouses...I have seen dogs at the line that had the musculature of a Mr. Universe. I have seen them in All age stakes and also in shooting dog stakes. I do not do cover dogs stakes, so I cannot say for certain, but I would not be at all surprised to see a heavily muscled up dog or two in that arena as well, but it would probably be somewhat smaller of stature than an all age or shooting dog, simply because the vast majority of cover dogs are a bit smaller in size and a bit lighter in weight than the majority of shooting dog or all age dogs.

To be honest, I have seen and judged some very nice shorthairs and have seen both shooting dog and all age dogs, but nowhere near the numbers of pointers that I have watched, so I should probably defer to those who have more familiarity with the breed. There are plenty on this board better qualified to comment on specifics like shorthair gaits than me.

How's that for trying to stay out of the soup? :D :D

RayG

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:29 am

Pretty smooth:-)

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:06 pm

Hopefully some put photos, or even better, videos, with the different styles so well said Mr. RayGubernat :D

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks for such an informative thread, much appreciated!