Dual sanctioned trials???

jimbo&rooster

Dual sanctioned trials???

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:14 am

I may be mistaken, but I thought I remembered reading here, or somewhere else, that there were some field trials that were dual sanctioned, where a dog potentially could earn points in both AF and AKC. A recent conversation, has left me questioning whether or not I really remember reading that. The conversation was specifically refrencing walking stakes.

Thanks
Jim

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Dual sanctioned trials???

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:22 am

The one we're attending this weekend is dual sanctioned - but I really don't know exactly what that means!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:24 am

Yes, some trials are dual sanctioned, but run under AKC rules. 1st, 2nd & 3rd are recognized by American Field/AFTCA (if handled by an amateur). Not exactly sure what it gets you....the trial giving club must be a member of American Field (up to date on dues), and they have to pay for an ad in the magazine. That makes the trial dual sanctioned, if I recall correctly (it's been a few years since I secretaried at a trial).

Keep in mind that the trials are run under AKC rules. Derbies cannot be more than 24 months old, all dogs entered MUST be registered with AKC regardless of whether they're FDSB registered.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:47 am

Karen wrote:Yes, some trials are dual sanctioned, but run under AKC rules. 1st, 2nd & 3rd are recognized by American Field/AFTCA (if handled by an amateur). Not exactly sure what it gets you....the trial giving club must be a member of American Field (up to date on dues), and they have to pay for an ad in the magazine. That makes the trial dual sanctioned, if I recall correctly (it's been a few years since I secretaried at a trial).

Keep in mind that the trials are run under AKC rules. Derbies cannot be more than 24 months old, all dogs entered MUST be registered with AKC regardless of whether they're FDSB registered.
The placements will get a dog qualified for CH. in American Field.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:09 pm

So exactly what does AF require to qualify for a championship?

I vaguely recall a conversation on one of the Brittany boards that if we qualified for our Nationals at a trial that wasn't dual sanctioned and then went on to place 1st or 2nd, American Field wouldn't recognize the placement. But we have to re-qualify every year...and I thought I heard that AF requires 1 placement lifetime to qualify for championships unless otherwise stated in the ad?

There isn't an AF Brittany circuit out there, but you're correct. Depending on the breed, the dual sanction thing may be more important.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Britt Club of Oregon ran a shooting dog stake last year, maybe the year before. Placing AKC dogs got the point's toward a championship. AF dog won and it got an AF Ch. I don't recall if the placing dog's got credit for a qualifier so they could run in Ch stakes. Little vague there. AKC rules but AF requires a dog to qualify to run in a Championship stake. Could be placement's meant nothing for the AF dog's other than first.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:30 pm

Let's see:

There are no dues to American Field, just meet the minimum requirements, which mostly means running an ad.

There are dues for AFTCA.

Championships have different qualifications, but generally for open you need a placement for A-A for an A-A Ch, and SD for SD or a derby placement for both.

For AFTCA both the handler and the dog must have a qualifying win in an amateur trail. Does not have to be same handler/dog. And yes it is lifetime for both.

They could withhold the Ch/Rch at any Ch if dog/handler were not quailfied, but have never done so yet.

AF does not give points, but do record wins on pedigree.

The loose understanding amoung the three sanctioning bodies is the most stringent of the rules will apply at the discretion of the club.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Neil and Karen have it pretty well nailed down..

AKC trials and placements are about accumulating championship points. No such animal in AF/AFTCA.

If an amateur places a dog in a sanctioned open stake(dual or otherwise) and does not accept the purse money, The dog will be qualified, for life, for both open and amateur championships in the appropriate category(shooting dog or all age), except those few I spoke to earlier.

If an amateur places a dog in an open derby stake, and refuses the purse, that dog is qualified, for life, for any open or amateur championship, again except for those few mentioned earlier. Since virtually all AKC open stakes do not offer a cash purse, a dual sanctioned trial, especially the open derby stake, offers the frugal amateur trialer a way to qualify their dog for both open and amateur stakes while still being able to accumulate points toward an AKC championship.

I dunno why, but that kinda appeals to me. :lol: :lol:

RayG