First Horseback Successful

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Nope, I didn't fall off - thanks all those who wished me well on this first horseback deal. This was the Heart of America GSP trial and boy was it fun. :) The dogs ran well for me and it turns out that I can listen to my trainer - Jon Hann of Perfection Kennel. He tuned me up a little bit beforehand and it turns out, I was semi-prepared. I ran my sister's dogs in two braces of amateur and my own dog in amateur and my puppy in amateur walking puppy (no bird released for that one). I had plenty of trouble getting on and off the horse and in fact, borrowed a shorter horse from some new friends for my braces (shout out to Jody and Chet Beckley for Oreo). My dog found 4 birds, but didn't end up in the callbacks. My sister's Nova dog ran clean as well with 2 birds and one stop to flush (so 3 total). I handled her in the callbacks and we WON! I mean, first place. It was awesome. There were 28 dogs in that stake. She was dynamite. It didn't hurt that I'm totally comfortable with her (she lived with me until she was 4 months old and we hunt together too). She laid down a great run and handled all of her birds well. Jess and Jon have her running like a top!
IMG_9464.JPG
My very own puppy Pike had a great puppy run in the amateur walking puppy - and he ended up with a first place as well. He went right to the places he should have gone too - probably because we got him on lots of quail in similar settings this fall and Jon helped a lot with pigeon launchers in the right places too!
IMG_9398.JPG
I very much enjoyed my first time at a horseback deal. Mainly because Jon had me confident on my dogs and how I should do things. He made sure I was comfortable running all of them and that they listened to me. But also, the group (HOAGSP) were such wonderful people - everyone was helpful and welcoming of a new person. And as for the judges in Amateur - Brooks Carmichael and Trasa Shinpoch, they were so helpful to me. I didn't get to visit much with the puppy judges, as I was walking and they were riding, but they sure helped me keep track of my dog when he would go out of sight for a little bit - Jim Burch and Bruce Bryant judged that stake and they explained everything to me well. I also met a new friend, Tom Wynn who scouted all 3 of my braces for me!

I tell you, I have met more great people running birddogs than anywhere else! Thanks all on here for sending encouragement on this endeavor. I might be hooked on this now. And yes, I know not to expect two wins the next time I run, but it sure was a great start for me. I know I don't have Perfect dogs, but the Perfection Kennel team sure coached me on to these wins - and I'm forever thankful to Jon for keeping me on the straight and narrow when I have a tendency to go otherwise!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: First Horseback Successful

Post by Neil » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Congratulations, it is just great you had so much fun and did so very well. Happy for you and proud of you.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Way to go and good for you that you were able to listen and obey. Jon does have a knack for teaching both dogs and their not so easy to train owners.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:12 pm

Congratulations, HOA is a great club, glad Tom was there to help as well, he's been very helpful to me also.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:26 pm

BIG CONGRATS!! & Nice Smiles. :D

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:10 pm

Congratulations, your puppy Pike has sure grown up to be a handsome boy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:18 pm

Congrats on a great day!

Ezzy

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:03 am

Congrats! What a great weekend!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:35 am

Congratulations!!

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:09 am

Congrats Elsa.

Mike

Wind Dancer Kennels

Post by Wind Dancer Kennels » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:27 am

Your first HB trial and first win in a broke dog stake is in a 28 dog stake with a callback for retrieve.
Wow! Congratulations....the hard part is over. 5 point major with retrieving points and you are half way to finishing that dog and you have all of your retrieving points need for get FC or AFC title.

Glad you had fun and getting a bit of color to boot! Very Nice job.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:57 am

Very well done, a great story

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:40 pm

Congrats!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:24 pm

I am so Sorry you got first place first time down. Worst thing that can happen it is the dogs conspiracy to get you, hook line and sinker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CONGRATULATIONS

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:00 pm

kninebirddog wrote:I am so Sorry you got first place first time down. Worst thing that can happen it is the dogs conspiracy to get you, hook line and sinker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CONGRATULATIONS
It is very sad.....I am already looking for a horse.....know anyone that has a 14.2 or so VERY CALM but sturdy horse that needs a good home? Would be ridden a lot!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:13 pm

Have one that is 15 hands that knows how to park out..Bit on the lazy side but will give you all day
used for judging NSTRA and BIrd Planting Trials and trails oh and he ain't purty
about 11/12 years old Missouri Fox Trotter

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:16 pm

here is a post that has a picture of him https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:18 pm

That is AWESOME!!! Congrats!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:02 am

Roostersmom there is a Horse at http://www.thefieldtrialer.com 14.3 H I believe 4 sale under Horses topic.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks guys - we're looking at one ASAP already. Somewhat closer to home. I'll keep checking those sites though if this mare doesn't work out.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:24 am

Congratulations!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Congrats on doing so well! But a word to the wise... Be very careful in buying a horse in a hurry. It can be a very costly and even dangerous mistake. If you attend a few trials ask around and try to make arrangements to try out the horse in a trial situation.

You are much farther ahead spending extra $$$ on a seasoned ft horse, than you are in breaking in a bargain in most cases.

Remember, color can kill. Choose your horse on its ability, not how pretty it is. You want a horse that allows you to be a passenger as you handle your dog, not one that requires a lot of actual horsemanship ( that can distract you from the job at hand - getting your dog around).

Check out various American Field sites and trials...those guys' horse tend to have been there, done that.

Good luck with your search. Horse shopping can be a great deal of fun.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:27 pm

Congrats! Talk to Keith Bryant at keg creek kennels he has FT horses for sale.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks for the advice on the horses. I used to ride and own horses in high school and college (rodeo - roping and barrels) but it's been quite a while. My sister is a horse person though - and has trained reiners professionally for most of her life, so I'm going to end up with a good horse with her help. Might have found a good one already at the trial this weekend in Oklahoma.

codym

Post by codym » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:48 am

Now assuming you dont already have one you need a horse trailer, proably one with living quarters so you can stay on the grounds, then a truck to pull it, since you have all that invested you might as well get a couple more dogs to run to make it worth your while, then with all those dogs you proably need a second horse…….have fun! Its an awesome sport just a killer on the bank account.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:51 am

Did Terry have something for you?

Ike

Post by Ike » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Congratulations on ur trial wins. I bet u can find a good horse close to u there. My only advice on the horse: get a vet check before u buy!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:08 pm

ha ha - you guys are great, horse, trailer, truck, living quarters.....I'm dipping my toe in here - just the horse and a GREAT sister who will take me with her when she goes! Bonus, she's been a horse trainer for the past 20 years of her life, so I'm good to go.

Andy - hoping to get that Rusty horse from Sam, Terry's buddy. He was a good fit for me - had enough juice to go, but was pretty well behaved. We really liked a few of Terry's horses, but of course what we wanted to buy, he didn't want to sell - isn't that always the way it goes?