Does Anyone Hunt Coyotes Seriously?

ben33127

Does Anyone Hunt Coyotes Seriously?

Post by ben33127 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41 pm

Just got started seriously hunting coyotes with an ICOTEC GC300. Great E-caller I just do not know the best times to hunt, and what vocalizations to use to start calling sequence.

If anyone has advice I would love to hear it!

K3Britt

Re: Does Anyone Hunt Coyotes Seriously?

Post by K3Britt » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:25 pm

What kind of gun/sight are you using?

I use an EOtech with a magnifier on top of my AR so night hunting is fairly easy. Also have a red beam ready to spot light if needed.

I like to go out to my honey hole around last light and be ready by late dusk/nightfall. Usually Ill bring chicken innards/scraps to paint a fence post to get some smell out. My buddy uses stink bait, i've never tried it but he gets a bunch of dogs so there might be some logic to it. My go to call would be the wounded rabbit but I build into it (volume wise). Soft at first and usually every couple minutes ramp up the volume with my remote. Switch it up if you don't feel it is effective but at least give it 20minutes, coyotes will be coming from a decent square mileage so it isn't instantaneous.

Advice would be to track the wind and put yourself in a position that you know the coyotes will have to come through. They will circle to find the scent before actually coming into your call/bait. Before they circle, you might have a chance to pop one coming in "blind" or with the wind. Once they are tracking they'll be ultra sensitive so no unnecessary movement/sounds, the only thing moving should be the safety then the trigger. Have your weapon in your firing position, you shouldn't be pulling it up once you see him, he'll be long gone.

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:26 am

Good advice there^^^
Also think of your scent. These guys live by, in this order, their sense of smell, hearing and sight. Try to park your vehicle away and out of sight from where you are sitting up shop, and cover your scent with something. Be ready as they may come in quick and hot, or slow and low.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:47 pm

We use the rabbit squeal, leave it on for about thirty seconds, then sit and wait for about twenty minutes, then turn it on for another ten seconds. The reason we do this is if you just keep the call blaring, most of them can pinpoint the sound so they will sit back and watch for a while before making a move. If you cut the sound off after a short period of time they cant pinpoint you and think they just lost a chance at dinner. Then when you bump it back on they waste no time in running in for the kill. Often times you will get a yote well within bow range.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:17 pm

I call for 2-3 minutes and then wait for 5 minutes. Call for 2-3 minutes and wait for 5 minutes. Usually sit in each stand for 20 or so minutes. Have killed who knows how many dogs, even won a few contests! Early fall is the best time IMO.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:31 pm

IF your in an area that gets a lot of hunters, try howling in lieu of squealing at first anyway. the change could fake them out.

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:41 pm

I use this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.