aggression problems

big_fish

aggression problems

Post by big_fish » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:43 pm

I have a 15 month old brittany. We have hunted with a friend and his old female gsp with no problems but today he got into a fight with another male dog. They were both showing aggression and I got in the middle and thought I had it taken care of but when we started running them the other dog circled around him and got close and it was on so fast I don't know who started it (so I am assuming it was mine). I haven't socialized him that much due to lack of other dogs. What is my next step? Should I try to get him into an obedience class to socialize him? He also barks like crazy when he sees my neighbor out side and has me a little worried about his whole attitude. Is the possessive trait that of a brittany? I never had any problem with my lab but we did 6 obedience classes when he was a pup.
Last edited by big_fish on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: aggression problems

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:46 pm

big_fish wrote:I have a 15 month old brittany. We have hunted with a friend and his old female gsp with no problems but today he got into a fight with another male dog. They were both showing aggression and I got in the middle and thought I had it taken care of but when we started running them the other dog circled around him and got close and it was on so fast I don't know who started it (so I am assuming it was mine). I haven't socialized him that much due to lack of other dogs. What is my next step? Should I try to get him into an obedience class to socialize him?
Nice of you to take the blame :) , but "the other dog circles around him and got close and ...................." I wouldn't be overly concerned to day. Try to set up some other dog experiences to see if it is your dog that has the problem - or not. If it is , at 15 months, I don't know what I'd do.

Obedience class would be something I'd do with caution. If it is your dog , having 10 other dogs in a small area could equal #$%^&*()_

If it is your dog , you may have to hunt him alone.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:01 pm

This is my fear of having to hunt him alone we wanted to start hunt test this year but afraid now it would be a bad thing until we figure this out. Both dogs today were circling each other and then they started to get the Mohawk down their backs and that's when I got in the middle and we walked the other way. My worry is he has started barking and growling when he sees my neighbor outside so he is under a very watchful eye.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:06 pm

big_fish wrote:I haven't socialized him that much due to lack of other dogs. What is my next step?
I would start right there, get him socialized. How much have you gotten him out with other dogs in both hunting and non-hunting environments? You need to determine if it is him firstly, if it isn't could have been the other dog that started it and you're somewhat off the hook.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:12 pm

In future contacts you need to read the dog and make corrections before a fight starts...after the fact won't help. And the more it happens the more engrained it will become.

Good luck, let's hope he was just protecting himself. I have one that I have to manage but he,s one of the best birddogs I ever owned or I would have never decided on life long management if he wasn't.

Be on the lookout for any posturing that will give you an indication of his inclinations.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:34 pm

big_fish wrote:This is my fear of having to hunt him alone we wanted to start hunt test this year but afraid now it would be a bad thing until we figure this out. Both dogs today were circling each other and then they started to get the Mohawk down their backs and that's when I got in the middle and we walked the other way. My worry is he has started barking and growling when he sees my neighbor outside so he is under a very watchful eye.
PS to my first post:

If doing hunt tests is really important to you, then put some money out for professional advice/help.

To be blunt , but trying to be honest and helpful, "I haven't socialized him much and he's 15 months old." quote , you may have missed the boat. Those first 6 months of socialization are crucial.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:00 pm

big_fish wrote:I have a 15 month old brittany. We have hunted with a friend and his old female gsp with no problems but today he got into a fight with another male dog. They were both showing aggression and I got in the middle and thought I had it taken care of but when we started running them the other dog circled around him and got close and it was on so fast I don't know who started it (so I am assuming it was mine). I haven't socialized him that much due to lack of other dogs. What is my next step? Should I try to get him into an obedience class to socialize him? He also barks like crazy when he sees my neighbor out side and has me a little worried about his whole attitude. Is the possessive trait that of a brittany? I never had any problem with my lab but we did 6 obedience classes when he was a pup.
It's not a 'Breed' thing ...It's a 'DOG' thing! (not male!) Bitches are worse! :wink: