GSP Wanted - in or near TX preferable

Flattop

GSP Wanted - in or near TX preferable

Post by Flattop » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm a new member of this site so I apologize in advance as I assume this topic is covered all the time.

I live in Fort Worth TX and I am looking for recommendations for a good GSP breeder. I am first and foremost a quail hunter and I hunt in west texas where its dry and the prickly pear thrives. I am a foot hunter but would like a dog that runs bigger than my current GSP. A dog with a natural tendency to retrieve would be nice but it's not essential. However, my dogs are my pets so I need the dog to have some social skills. Either a puppy or a started dog would be ok. I'm not obsessed with bloodlines, I just want the best chance at having a solid hunting dog.

I would prefer a breeder that is close enough that I could go see the dogs in person before committing to buy. So 4-5 hour drive of DFW would be nice.

I would appreciate any sugestions or recommendations you have.

thanks

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP Wanted - in or near TX preferable

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:50 pm

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Scott Bodenstab lives near you. Top quality guy and dogs. He has a couple of litters on the ground now. Also on this board.
http://www.hi-tailyn.com/

codym

Post by codym » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:34 pm

Terry Chandler at Rugerhiem kennels has nice dogs and not to aweful far away.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:10 am

Please check your personal messages.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:22 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Try Charlie Rose at http://www.wildrosegermanshorthairs.com
Thank you for posting this..

I happened upon this website several months back and forgot to bookmark it - couldn't remember the name looking for it again since

Those are some really nice dogs & the kennel appears to be top notch - great website too

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 am

Tooling I have sold Charlie a couple dogs & my last litter is out of a female from him that I traded for,one of my pups for one of his,he has nice dogs.The SLD liver dogs & pups you see on his site all are out of a female he bought from me about 10 yrs ago.
Charlie is a no BS kind of guy & very passionate about his dogs I like him some don't but he says it like he sees it! :wink:
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:36 pm

I really like his website and his pedigrees are so familiar to me - if you go to the home page and click on "Dog Pictures" - all of the photos are great and it does a really cool job of depicting what Shorthairs are all about. Although I live on the east coast, my wife and I both love the west so seeing them doing what Shorthairs do with so many pictures in that environment is really nice. Thanks again for posting that. (Sorry for the hijack Flattop - I think you are in a very good location to find a nice dog)

Wind Dancer Kennels

Post by Wind Dancer Kennels » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Scott Bodenstab out of Fort Worth,Ronnie Sale of Free Flight Kennels in Jonesboro, John Rabidou of Uodibar Kennels and Stables in Hondo, all breed quality dogs.

Might check with the Gulf Coast GSP Club, Lone Star GSP Club and the San Antonio GSP Club and reach out to the Club secretary and ask if any of their members have up come litter or if litters on the ground.

There are a lot of quality bred GSP in Texas.

Good Luck.

GSP_LAC

Post by GSP_LAC » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Tommy Wisdom with Rio Concho Kennels (http://www.rioconchokennels.com) is great. He's based out of San Angelo and his dogs are used to hunting the West Texas terrain that you described. They had a litter of 12 pups yesterday. I have a 10 month old pup from him, Haddie, and couldn't be happier with her natural ability and drive.

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:25 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Try Charlie Rose at http://www.wildrosegermanshorthairs.com
I agree with Vonzepp, I have one of Charlies dogs & there are some in Sth Africa (member here Francois P vd Walt)
also, check where I live. He'll get it done for you.

..............tasi